Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DWS

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Australia
It was also idiotic of the guy to give you the computer even if it was yours.

It seems obvious that this poor guy is not very sharp.
Not everyone has the presence of mind and knowledge of the law that you do.
It's just pleasing to know that the majority of people on this forum are honest, and not quick to take advantage of others weaknesses.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Glad to hear you got it back, that's an awfully large chunk of change to be delivered to the wrong home…

jasone6

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Keep in mind that this is a small town, and likely doesn't suffer from the same collective lack of consciousness that you see in bigger cites. Not to sound nostalgic (and I'm not even that old), but this is the way life used to work before everyone started ripping each other off. When your neighbor shows up and you have his computer, you give it to him (of course) and everyone's happy.

I'm not disagreeing with what people said regarding liability/responsibility, etc... Just disappointed that our society has trained us all to think that way first instead of just living life honorably.

kingkezz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
There's nothing stopping you from continuing your claim to not getting the package.

FedEx has no proof you ever received it. The guy that gave it to you has no proof he gave it to you.

I'm not going to lie, this is EXACTLY what I would do.

But I'm a terrible person...

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008

I bet it wouldn't be the first time they've dealt with that. Don't worry they're prepared, their revenue models have it all included.

FastMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

That's really sad,,, but unfortunately slime like you are all too common today. You wouldn't be just sticking it to Fedex, you'd be sticking it to the poor unfortunate guy who got the mistaken package, then tried to do the right thing. Pathetic.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
I had this problem before with a repair. I was waiting at home and checking my tracking number when it said delivered. There was no nock on my door. I quickly called up fedex and they recalled the driver to deliver to the right address. I got it that same day within 3 hours. I guess it just depends on how fast you get the call in. I got mine in within 30 minutes of the false delivery.

I've had to call them up several times and tell them to redeliver because my street name is hard to spell and my address is really quite funky.

Recently they started asking my last name when they showed up. Like you'll sign for it before you see the package and if you don't say the last name that is on the label they won't give it to you.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I hate it how everyone is being so legal in this tread, so what? Who cares?

I know I would of done the same if it was my mac pro!

kingkezz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
That's really sad,,, but unfortunately slime like you are all too common today. You wouldn't be just sticking it to Fedex, you'd be sticking it to the poor unfortunate guy who got the mistaken package, then tried to do the right thing. Pathetic.

Wow, sorry I was born. It was a joke man, you know, funny ha-ha?

(...it wasn't a joke)

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I hate it how everyone is being so legal in this tread, so what? Who cares?

I know I would of done the same if it was my mac pro!

Keep in mind that this is a small town, and likely doesn't suffer from the same collective lack of consciousness that you see in bigger cites. Not to sound nostalgic (and I'm not even that old), but this is the way life used to work before everyone started ripping each other off. When your neighbor shows up and you have his computer, you give it to him (of course) and everyone's happy.

I'm not disagreeing with what people said regarding liability/responsibility, etc... Just disappointed that our society has trained us all to think that way first instead of just living life honorably.

It's not a matter of being honorable, it's a matter of protecting yourself. Heck, I'd go buy you and drink and co-miserate, and I'd meet you at FedEx when they opened the next morning, but I'd cover my ass. :p

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

Lets not be unrealistic here. I would expect in the best case, FEDEX or Apple would claim the insurance and it would be done. In the worst case, the perp would get a knock on the door by a a policeman with a search warrant. When they find a MacPro that happens to have the S/N that was shipped, they would cart the perp off and book him for theft. After all the FEDEX office has the record of the phone call and that they gave the address to the perp. It would be a messy trial perhaps. But even if the perp gets off, it may not be worth the hassle.

Now, if the perp had sold that MacPro on the black market... well its risky but who knows how much effort they would put in to retrieve a $3000 item

Now 99% of us have the character to resolve the mistake just like the OP and the neighbor.

DWS

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Australia
Lets not be unrealistic here. I would expect in the best case, FEDEX or Apple would claim the insurance and it would be done. In the worst case, the perp would get a knock on the door by a a policeman with a search warrant. When they find a MacPro that happens to have the S/N that was shipped, they would cart the perp off and book him for theft. After all the FEDEX office has the record of the phone call and that they gave the address to the perp. It would be a messy trial perhaps. But even if the perp gets off, it may not be worth the hassle.

Now, if the perp had sold that MacPro on the black market... well its risky but who knows how much effort they would put in to retrieve a $3000 item

Now 99% of us have the character to resolve the mistake just like the OP and the neighbor.

You said perp five times.

FastMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I understand the concerns of the legal types here over how this issue got resolved. It was a Mayberry resolution I guess, where all parties involved knew instinctively what the right thing to do was, and just went ahead and did it without a second thought. Because both he and I were honest people the matter was corrected in short order, and life went on. It's a shame such a deficit of moral fiber exists through our society today that just doing "what's right" has become a Pollyanna approach of days gone by which can get you in trouble.

I feel fortunate to live in one of those little pockets of hidden America where people still smile and greet strangers on the street, and when they do what their gut tells them is the right thing to do for a neighbor their chances of getting screwed for it is very remote.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
Wow, sorry I was born. It was a joke man, you know, funny ha-ha?(...it wasn't a joke)

Your claiming you never picked up the MP from the guy would probably have ended up with the FedEx driver having to pay for your MP, or his being fired, or both. Not funny at all. What if you were the poor FedEx driver who screwed up? How would you then feel if some stupid jerkoff tried to fraudulently screw with you?
Some joke.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
listen - no harm has been done, everyone has the product they were meant to have. Everyone has the product they paid for.

Why can't we have a little more honesty in the world. What are you going to do with 2 Mac Pros?

Sell it? It's your karma...

FastMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
As for the thoughts of some of the posters here that Apple was not the entity to contact in this matter, I don't buy that. I paid Apple for a computer, and for arranging deliver of that computer to my doorstep. I had no contractual relationship with Fedex, I was not their customer, Apple was fedex's customer. When I contacted Apple to tell them that they had not fulfilled their agreed obligation to get the computer I had paid for to my door, they should have immediately gotten on the phone with Fedex trying to get to the bottom of what happened and getting it fixed pronto. Not just fill out a piece of paper, stick it in a bin, and tell me they'd update me on progress in three days.

That was grossly unacceptable customer service on a major purchase. I was left to run around through back doors trying to get the issue resolved myself. Not impressed at all. If I hadn't done what I did, taking measures and going through channels that many here were surprised was even possible, this problem most likely would have dragged on long period of time with me sitting both computerless and moneyless. Apple could have quickly resolved this with an immediate phone call, just as I did, but via means of proper channels.

sturob

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2005
Houston, TX
I'm glad it all worked out . . . and, while I'm happy for you that it did, FedEx was insane to give you the guy's address. Sheesh!

As for the Apple-versus-FedEx question, and who's responsible for what, let's see. I disagree that Apple's in the clear. As far as I can tell, Apple is in bed with FedEx, for better or for worse. It's not like domestic US customers can choose how their Macs get shipped, other than FedEx Ground vs. Express. Apple needs to hear and be involved with any disputes/problems with FedEx.

I strongly dislike FedEx, though Ground seems faster than UPS Ground. My neighbors have a high fence, and I've seen FedEx drivers chuck packages over it.

ONE plus to ordering a 60+ lb. computer, I guess. ;)

Stuart

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Apple could have quickly resolved this with an immediate phone call, just as I did, but via means of proper channels.

Not hardly. Did you expect an Apple employee to run to this guys house and pick up your package and deliver it too you?

All they could do is start a research incident with the shipper. There's nothing more they could possibly have done.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
"The people that you work with... I'll probably sue them too..."

"Who do I work with?! Why are you gonna sue me?!"

"Sue EVERYBODY!"

FastMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Not hardly. Did you expect an Apple employee to run to this guys house and pick up your package and deliver it too you?

All they could do is start a research incident with the shipper. There's nothing more they could possibly have done.

Don't be silly, Salty.

They could have called Fedex immediately,,, just like I did,,, discovered that the package had been delivered just an hour prior to the wrong address,,, just like I did,,, and then use their major customer clout to encourage them to get a truck up there immediately to retrieve the package and deliver it to the proper address. Would not have been that hard a thing to do. A Fedex truck was actually leaving the street when I pulled into the fella's house. I'm presently composing a letter of dissatisfaction to send to apple.

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
what fun :)

I fully expect to see this incident discussed at length in the next edition of the Harvard Law Review. "Mayberry v. The FUBAR Factor" :D

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
this is so sad - why do americans reach for the lawyer as soon as anything goes wrong?

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Don't be silly, Salty.

They could have called Fedex immediately,,, just like I did,,, discovered that the package had been delivered just an hour prior to the wrong address,,, just like I did,,, and then use their major customer clout to encourage them to get a truck up there immediately to retrieve the package and deliver it to the proper address. Would not have been that hard a thing to do. A Fedex truck was actually leaving the street when I pulled into the fella's house. I'm presently composing a letter of dissatisfaction to send to apple.

I agree that would be awesome customer service. But it's never going to happen from ANY company.

Don't forget that all the people at FedEx that stop everything they are doing to get one customer their package means that a dozen more customers aren't getting their packages on time.

Without strict routes and schedules a delivery company will go out of business overnight.

Enjoy ranting at apple, but the only one that did you wrong was the truck driver, and it was an honest mistake.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Because most Americans (not all) believe they deserve everything given to them, instead of having to work for it. Blame our microwave society for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.