Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
The text tone is the only one I can tolerate. For a company with the grandeur of apple they should be commissioning the likes of Brian Eno for stuff like this, instead of cutting corners.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
"By The Seaside" is awful, "Playtime" even worse. It's good that most are shorter than the far too long iOS 6 sounds, but some aren't short and sound like an Atari game. The Alert Tones are good, the Ringtones, not so much.

They're intentionally silly..

And I am weirdly proud of myself because I had noticed early on that all the sounds sounded explicitly like Owl City.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Interesting to know. Sounds are unique. Glad to know Apple doesn't cut corners even on sounds.

4ubrey

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I hate Owl City so bad. That guy doesn't have an ounce of talent in my opinion. (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's successful and lots of people like him) but I personally can't stand his autotuned garbage.

The greatest thing about music = there's something for everyone.

I think many will "get you wrong" because you are saying someone has no talent when they are obviously musically inclined enough to A. make multiple entire albums (that went platinum) and B. make the system ringtones for MILLIONS of devices.

Maybe it's just me... I "got you wrong."

Last edited:

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Great news about music = something for everyone.

I think many will "get you wrong" because you are saying someone has no talent when they are obviously musically inclined enough to A. make multiple entire albums and B. make the system ringtones for MILLIONS of devices.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thats a bit harsh, IMO. You don't like his music, fine, but he's certainly got talent.

Sorry but I disagree. His lyrics are pure trash, they sound like something out of a children's cartoon. His voice is nothing but auto tune, and everything he makes sounds exactly the same.

----------

I think many will "get you wrong" because you are saying someone has no talent when they are obviously musically inclined enough to A. make multiple entire albums (that went platinum) and B. make the system ringtones for MILLIONS of devices.

Perception of talent is subjective. Like I said, I'm glad he's successful but I don't think he's got an ounce of talent.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Sorry but I disagree. His lyrics are pure trash, they sound like something out of a children's cartoon. His voice is nothing but auto tune, and everything he makes sounds exactly the same.

Thank goodness there are millions of others who disagree with you so he knows to continue to produce more amazing work.

minhvn

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
If you say Adam has no talent whatsoever, then give Port Blue a listen. It's another project made by Adam; but unlike Owl City, Port Blue is very deep and emotional.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
"By The Seaside" is awful, "Playtime" even worse. It's good that most are shorter than the far too long iOS 6 sounds, but some aren't short and sound like an Atari game. The Alert Tones are good, the Ringtones, not so much.

Agreed. Ringtones are cheesy. The Alert tones are pretty good.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
McDonalds serves a million a day, who cares.

Irrelevant. I was just saying that there are millions who will buy his music, so that those of us who enjoy it can continue to do so. Without people purchasing it, he probably wouldn't be doing what he's doing. I wasn't saying he was good because millions of others say he is, simply stating that with a following– we still get to listen to him.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska

----------

Perception of talent is subjective. Like I said, I'm glad he's successful but I don't think he's got an ounce of talent.

I actually don't care for his music either, and I agree on his lyrics and everything sounding the same. He overproduces all of his tracks. But he is a talented singer, you can dig around and find him singing a cappella. He has talent. You just don't like how he uses it.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Irrelevant. I was just saying that there are millions who will buy his music, so that those of us who enjoy it can continue to do so.
Without people purchasing it, he probably wouldn't be doing what he's doing. I wasn't saying he was good because millions of others say he is, simply stating that with a following– we still get to listen to him.

Definitely didn't appear to be what you were saying, but regardless, it's irrelevant in the context of ringtones and sounds on the iPhone. I don't care what you listen to.

kmc1

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
No one else thinking this sounds FAR too like Postal Service? First time I heard this on the radio a few months ago I got super excited that they were working together again, but alas... no. Very catchy all the same.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

Maybe it's just me... I "got you wrong." I think you're an idiot.

I wish I could recommend you from my phone

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Steve had an affinity for analogue devices, machines, textures, etc.

This appreciation was implemented into not only the visuals of the original iOS, but the sounds too, and was an example of how Apple's brand aesthetic was so very, very different from other companies like Google and Microsoft.

Unfortunately this unique taste is now completely gone from Apple, and we're stuck with guys who unimaginatively seem to worship at the alter of "digital" aesthetic, just like everyone else.

The new synthesized ringtones pretty much encapsulate everything I find wrong with iOS7. I understand most people couldn't care less, but I hate to see a company that was once truly inspirational to myself and other designers create mundane experiences.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.