Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Calling it now. Next year we hear about the success of the iPhone six plus so much that Apple discontinues the iPad mini line for the iPad Air 3 and iPad Pro.

Calling it.

I highly doubt it.

Ipad mini can be sold cheaper than any other tablet and there's a massive demand for smaller devices.

If you buy a cheap Android tablet it won't match the specs of a larger 10"+ model either.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
They were thinking the same thing as the iPad 3. Consistency across the line.

The iPad was an update with just the Lightning connector. The iPad mini 3 was an update with just Touch ID.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
What the Heck was Apple Thinking in brining out the iPad Mini 3 with a small minor FingerPrint Sensor Upgrade and nothing else ? I mean what a total waste of Innovation plus keeping the same old A7 Hardware and Crappy Camera.. Really doesn't make sense shelling out a couple hundred bucks for this new crappy model !!!

Well they did release an Ipad mini 1 with A5 and no retina display at a time when Ipad 3/4 were around.

Pro will prob offer something over the Air like split screen multi tasking..same way they held landscape mode and chat heads back from Iphone 6 4"7.

----------

Also if they never updated the Mini atall people would moan about the lack of touch ID?

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
iPad minis = 2nd Tier

IMO, the iPad mini line is a total joke now:

1. No new processor in a "brand new" product?
2. ...which leaves hardly any differentiation between the top of the line and the mid-range product.
3. How can an A5-based product still be offered, at all?

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

2. ...which leaves hardly any differentiation between the top of the line and the mid-range product.

I think the mini appeals to people who would want a 7" screen. So if you want a more powerful device you're gonna have to go for the Air.

Hwangsta

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
This makes my decision to buy the iPad retina mini 2 so much easier.
Was going to get the mini 3 but after seeing 'upgrade' opting for a refurbished ipad mini 2 is such an easy decision.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I have a feeling this is a short in between update for the mini. Don't think they'll wait until next fall for another update.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I think most people don't know the difference between A5 A6 A7 etc etc. It's just a shiny new iPad Mini with the touch id and a new color!

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, terrible!!!

I really wanted a new Mini with the high contrast screen like the iPhone 6. Wonder if the Air 2 will look like the 6.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California

Its just dumb that they went back to how it was with the 1st mini. Old hardware on an updated new product.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The obvious conclusion is that Apple had no plans to upgrade the Mini at all, but then decided that they needed to have TouchID in every product category. Trust me-- the iPad Mini will get a complete overhaul before a year is up, and the Mini 2 will get pulled, with the Mini 3 moving down to the current Mini 2's price point.

applefanatic11

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Are you guys nuts. The Ipad mini 3 is fantastic even if you have a mini 2. You don't think the touch I.D is worth 100 dollars? You will when someone sees you typing your password in and steals your mini from you. I hope you don't have any sensitive information on your device. Still don't think it's worth the upgrade. Fine, better for the smarter people such as myself who will gladly wait in line with one less person potentially in front of me.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Are you guys nuts. The Ipad mini 3 is fantastic even if you have a mini 2. You don't think the touch I.D is worth 100 dollars? You will when someone sees you typing your password in and steals your mini from you. I hope you don't have any sensitive information on your device. Still don't think it's worth the upgrade. Fine, better for the smarter people such as myself who will gladly wait in line with one less person potentially in front of me.

I don't think its about the 100 bucks or Touch ID, it's the principal. They could have put the new SOC and the 802.11 AC in it.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Said it on another post, im dreading the ipad mini going the same path as the ipod touch. 399$ for a mini 2 with touch id is a rip off.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas

Your username suits you well.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Only Apple can do this!
Why? Cause people will still buy!
Good for the shareholders...bad for the ones who are not

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I'm feeling very happy that I just bought a used mint Mini 2 with LTE cheap. I feel like its lifetime until obsolescence was just extended another year :D

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
It's apples fault for constantly putting on great products year after year. If you aren't a fanatic than I don't know what's wrong with you.

I am a fanatic but I'm also realistic. I own a 6, 6 Plus, iMac, MacBook, Apple TV, miniR, and a plethora of previous generations.

Your reasoning is slightly embarassing, IMO. If you like the Mini 3, go for it. Some people are more obsessed with the latest and greatest even though technologically and financially it's ludicrous - unless one is upgrading from the original mini.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I have a feeling this is a short in between update for the mini. Don't think they'll wait until next fall for another update.

you could be right. maybe a 6 month refresh with the ipad pro in march? w better internals and thinner

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
However, if one does his homework (which most consumers don't do) you will find that the iPad mini 3 is a bad deal $ wise, $100.00 for touch ID is crazy.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
They were thinking the same thing as the iPad 3. Consistency across the line.

The iPad was an update with just the Lightning connector. The iPad mini 3 was an update with just Touch ID.
The iPad 4 was not just an update with a Lightning connector. The iPad 3 used an A5X chipset; the iPad 4 used an A6X, which represented a major performance boost. Up until the "mini 2" and "mini 3," I don't recall Apple releasing a product that had the exact same chipset as its previous model (a potential exception is the iPhone 5C, but that arguably was meant to take the place of the iPhone 5).

Will Apple let me trade in my current retina iPad mini and pay $100 for the model with TouchID? I'd wager that anyone selling their current device and then trying to "upgrade" will be out more than $100.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Don't think I'll upgrade to mini 3. I have a mini 2 and 6+ and don't really use the mini as much since I got the 6+. Very disappointing what they did with this version. I wonder if they are going to be last year specs in every mini in order to keep the air the flagship? Maybe larger iPhones are taking some of minis market share. Either way it will be Air 2 or no upgrade till next year.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
It's like people completely forget that the first iPad mini came with outdated internals and a horrible display. Then, it got a huge upgrade beyond what anyone expected. And now it's slightly underwhelming again, though nowhere near so as the original was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.