MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Well.........it looks like the eMac has finally been discontinued :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
thank god for that! whilst it was a good idea to start with Apple just left it to get old. it would have been too embarrassing to see that alongside an iMac G5, especially when without VAT the iMac is only a few hundred pounds more than that old CRT beast.

it was good. but its good to let it go now. the Mini can take over as the educational one now

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
eMac Discontinued?

One thing not mentioned in today's media event was the mysterious disappearance of the eMac from Apple's online stores.

While http://www.apple.com/emac/ still loads, clicking the "buy now" button only leads to the online store's main page, where the eMac is noticeably absent.

kparvez

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
I think they're still updating their webpages, I thought the new video ipods would get first page attention (apple.com) but not yet.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
kparvez said:
That's too bad.
I really think pulling the eMac was a bad idea. $499 with no monitor, keyboard, or mouse to $1299 for an iMac with 160GB hard drive and iSight is a big jump for some people. The eMac was great for people who wanted a simple, Internet appliance with having to buy extra stuff.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
deanwaterman said:
Good Riddance...

You got the mini that does as much or more now, get a monitor for $120 and you got something better than the emac now.
Yea, and then you plug in a USB keyboard and USB mouse, and voila....no more USB ports....that is brilliant.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Missing from the edu site as well. I wonder if they are planning on replacing it with the Mac mini or maybe a less potent version of the iMac? Are they thinking that iBooks are the way forward for all schoolss? Maine isn't so sure they agree....

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
japasneezemonk said:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
the emac was dying...

the mac mini was the new low budget.

But wait to the intel chips prob new products then.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I never really liked the eMac, reminded me too much of my very old iMac. When the Mac Mini was released I thought it was a better deal (and better design as well).

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
In some ways it is sad to see the thing go. It was pretty good of a computer for the masses/education/people not needing power or portability. Anyway, there will always be refurbished/used ones if I can ever get my parents to upgrade.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
deanwaterman said:
Good Riddance...

You got the mini that does as much or more now, get a monitor for $120 and you got something better than the emac now.
except that the eMac has a faster HD, more video ram and a better card, more memory expandability...

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
It won't be missed. The Mac Mini does what the emac tried to do at a much lower price point. Frankly it looked like the old imac on steroids.

Not much in the announcements today. Where are the Powerbook updates?

coco99

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
deanwaterman said:
Good Riddance...

Where is the core video on the mini? The hard drive on the mini sucks compared to the emac too. Plus the monitor, keyboard, ....

I don't know about the specs of the "double secret maybe you'll get one maybe you won't" mac mini but I don't think it's much of an improvement....the emac is still a better machine.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
deanwaterman said:
Good Riddance...

Really? The eMac smokes the Mac mini in several ways.

________ Mac mini, eMac
max RAM: 1GB, 2GB
HDD RPM: 4200, 7200
DL DVD±RW: no, yes
GFX: 32MB or 64MB ATi Radeon 9200, 64MB ATi Radeon 9600

The 80MHz advantage of the currently unofficially upgraded Mac mini (1.5GHz) over the eMac (1.42GHz) hardly makes it better, with all the other disadvantages.

kingconsulting

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
mac-er said:
Yea, and then you plug in a USB keyboard and USB mouse, and voila....no more USB ports....that is brilliant.
Uhhhhh....that would leave one free usb port.

Usb mouse plugs into keyboard?

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
gopher said:
Look at http://www.apple.com/hardware/

eMac has been relegated back to the Education section.
Which is where it should be, and if they stopped making it Dull chumputers would make HUGE inroads into many SUNY colleges, which is where I work. The eMac keeps a foot in the door, the Mac Mini is all but worthless to higher ed as the all-in-one is compelling and the iMac is still too expensive and flat panel screens get touched/cracked/broken by fat fingered kids.

deadwaterman said:
Good Riddance...

The eMac ISN'T for you, and you clearly don't get what segment it sells to, and sells well may I add (in the thousands of orders a year), colleges and schools. Sales = money and marketshare they wouldn't have, money = good for Apple, marketshare = critical for Apple. Just because in your tiny narrow little live-in-your-parents basement world YOU don't like the eMac, many do and it's a critical seller for Apple, so get a clue, or step off.

rashdown_online

macrumors member
May 3, 2005
Purton - Wiltshire
c2104338 said:
you watch, it'll be the powerbook next....
I REALLY hope so.

The new stuff looks cool. But a new P/Book is REALLY needed!!!

Somehow, though, I don't think that this will materialise!!!

It can't, however, IMHO, continue with no update (and a significant one at that). I know there's the Intel stuff coming, but that's not for about 12 months! :mad: