Embracing the Notch: How Are You Adapting to the Most Controversial iPhone X Design Decision?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The "notch," or sensor housing on the iPhone X is the single most polarizing design decision Apple made when creating its new flagship smartphone. Some people hate the way the notch eats into the display, while others appreciate that extra bit of visible space.

Love it or hate it, the notch is here to stay until Apple finds a better way to integrate the TrueDepth camera system into its iPhone lineup. Luckily, while the notch can be disturbing at first, most people find it's easy to become accustomed to. In the video below, we explore the notch, how it affects day to day iPhone X usage, how apps are compensating, and some ways to hide it.

Prior to the iPhone X's launch, the notch sparked a lot of discussion, much of it negative, but hate for the notch has died down as people have become used to Apple's design choice.

Apple's official policy is that developers and users should embrace the notch, and as apps have implemented designs that work around it, it's blended into the background and become less noticeable in day to day use.

There are still apps that have yet to adapt to the notch, but as optimizations continue, it'll disappear even further. Here at MacRumors, we've found that the notch isn't really bothersome at all.

One exception might be landscape mode, as it's more noticeable in that orientation when doing things like browsing Safari, watching YouTube videos, and playing games. Safari browsing is getting better, though, with a new Webkit API in iOS 11.2 that allows developers to design around the notch for a better full screen experience, and in the YouTube app, if you double tap on a video, it expands to a full screen mode that's easier to watch.

For those who absolutely hate the notch, there are a couple of new apps like Notcho, designed to edit wallpapers to add a black bar to the top, effectively hiding it on the Home and Lock screen. Notcho doesn't work within apps, though, and in our opinion, hiding the notch looks worse than accepting it.

Article Link: Embracing the Notch: How Are You Adapting to the Most Controversial iPhone X Design Decision?

2. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

The notch is a non-issue if you actually own the phone and apparently a huge issue for those who don’t or the media that needs to generate clicks.

3. pat500000, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I’m not bothered by the notch. I seem to do well adapting to notch. I just need a plus size.

4. Goldfrapp, Nov 14, 2017

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The most beautiful thing about iPhone X is Apple Notch™

5. Nozuka macrumors 68000

you get used to it in no time. i actually prefer apps that don't hide it, because the screen feels bigger.

6. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If devs use Auto Layout everything fits perfectly.

7. nikhsub1, Nov 14, 2017

nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

The 'notch' is so overblown it's ridiculous. Imagine if the notch went all the way across the top, it would be a bezel. Think of the notch like a full bezel with more room. Jeez, this is the dumbest discussion so far about any iphone.

8. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Non-issue. If it bothered me THAT much, I wouldn't have bought it.

Embrace the notch.

9. Siannath macrumors member

Siannath

For me, the most controversial design decision is the removal of Touch ID.

We see how Face ID is problematic in many cases. Touch ID has none of those issues. I want an iPhone X with both Face ID and Touch ID.

10. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

It also quickly tells me where the top of the screen is. No issue

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Non issue.

1. I like the edge to edge screen on the device
    2. I like that Apple produced two little extra windows to put the status and clock, so I can have them out of the way of my content
    3. I like that I don’t have the same black bars at the top (and sometimes bottom) like every other phone.
    Like people that hate the “notch” it is just my opinion, and unlike some, I am open to opposing viewpoints on the subject. ;) .

12. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

13. Ambient80 macrumors newbie

Honestly I barely even noticed it was there after using the phone for maybe 10 minutes. The only time I ever take full notice is if I glance at the time or to see if I’m on WiFi. Even those I showed it to at work were like “Oh, yeah it’s not a big deal.”

14. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

I have no problems with the notch at all. The notch has not affected the day to day operation of my phone in no way, shape, or form. I don't even see the notch when I'm using my phone. Truthfully haven't thought about the notch. Complete none issue for me. I really don't understand what the big deal is really.

/does not own iPhone X:D:p

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

The notch isn’t even an issue. Those that hate the notch have not used an iPhone X for more than 5 minutes.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Notch? What notch? Notch isn't a problem with apps that are X aware. But Apple or devs need to fix the way movies work so they don't crop the picture when you go full screen. That is annoying.

Gesture are another story. The swipe down for control center is a bit awkward. Hope Apple changes that up in a future iOS. Top right corner is a too hard to reach one-handed. Some kind of right side, mid-screen gesture would be nice. Reachability gesture is tricky too b/c of limited space down below.

17. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

So when you screen shot with the X, does the notch get included?

18. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

never really paid attention to the notch. After seeing it in that video, it looks hideous.

19. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

I'm not sure it is a love/hate thing? Or at least, I could get the hate to an extent, but less the love. It seems to me a divide between people who tolerate it and/or think it is a deliberate design statement and those who think it is a fudge because Apple could not get fingerprint ID working under the display. I am not sure why anyone would love something that reduces the useful screen size to footprint ratio. I predict that at some stage it will go (perhaps because of smaller components or perhaps a return to fingerprint ID under the screen) and Apple will declare it a miracle step forward and many of the lovers (more likely tolerators) will declare it a magnificent step forward in the future.

20. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

HAHAHA! we should hang out some time so i could show you my issues, I had touch issues so often. and not just after i ate a bag of cheetos.

My rating for faceID = 10
    My rating for touchID after using faceID for 2 weeks = 1

21. Sinequanon83 macrumors member

Good question- it does not.

22. sblemmy macrumors member

sblemmy

I was initially surprised by how much I was bothered by the notch during the first few days of use (I found it distracting), but I quickly got used to it.

Edit: I do wonder if I was hyper-aware of it at first because there was so much media coverage on it.

23. brunerd macrumors newbie

brunerd

If you like The Notch™ then you'll love the Fergus Hall Tarot deck...
    [​IMG]

24. purplehaze0 macrumors member

purplehaze0

I actually created a notch on my iPhone 6s with tape so people think I’ve got loads of £ .