Employee Discount Delay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by itisme1760, Oct 18, 2008.

1. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I have someone working at Apple to buy me a product for % off that I am not stating. I wanted to get the new Macbook Pro 15in, but I got an email back from the person saying that they can't get the new stuff right away, meaning they need to wait a couple of months before Apple allowing them to purchase the "new" stuff. Anyone know about this and about how long until Apple opens up the new things for employee discount?

This is for the MBP 15in 2.53GHz 4GB Ram 320GB 5400 (stock model) @ $2499

ABT Electronics

Instock
    Amazon
    Instock

CDW Computer Centers

Instock
    ClubMac
    Instock
    J&R Computer World
    Call for Availability
    Mac Zone
    Instock
    Mac Connection
    Instock
    Mac Mall
    Instock
    MicroCenter
    Instock
    Outpost.com
    Instock

Once all the resellers have the MBP 2.53GHz in Stock, then it will be on EPP. The 2.4 GHz MBP on the other hand, most are in stock for most resellers.

2. Bigsam411 macrumors member

It depends on demand for the product. If there is a lot of demand them it will be longer before employees can get the item, otherwise it shouldn't be too long.

3. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, thanks for the input. Seems like I am waiting forever!!!!

I waited for a good year for the new Macbook Pros to come out. Then it finally comes out, now I still have to wait once again. The waiting game never ends!:eek:

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

You don't have to wait if you just buy it like everyone else, your choice ;)

5. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I wish, the discount I am getting puts me up at the same price level as the base one, so why not?

6. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

my aunt is an employee and she's getting me the new macbook tomorrow with 15% off :D

She's allowed and I live in Canada so i don't know the difference with you

Hope you get yours soon :D

7. Encanto macrumors regular

I can't afford a new generation Macbook Pro so I bought a brand new previous generation Macbook Pro because I ran into a friend who works at apple and she got me an extra $100 off from the clearence offer. I m happy!! $1299 for a brand new (previous Generation) Macbook Pro. Do you guys think thats a good deal??

8. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

yes :D
    enjoy your baby :D:D

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

10. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

something like :
    1 25% per year
    3 or 5 15% per year
    unlimited 10%

11. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for the input. Hmm, I wonder why the Macbooks are available but the Macbook Pros are not yet? Maybe the demand for the MBP are higher than the Macbooks. I thought differently...

12. Anthony6377 macrumors newbie

Can you/have someone you know get a corporate discount? I had my sister use hers for my MB and it was more than double the student discount of $50. That should be closer to your Aunt's discount. :)

13. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Someone PLEASE tell me when the 15in Macbook Pro shows up on EPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait any longer! And it's been less than a day!!!111

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hopefully it's quicker than with the Airs.

They went on sale in January and didn't hit EPP until mid-April. That's a 3.5 month gap. The first 15" MBPs with LEDS were like that too. Didn't hit EPP until months later.

15. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know the link to the EPP Store that Employees at the Headquarters (1 Infinite Loop) get? I want to check it out constantly until the new Macbook Pro 15in $2499 comes out!

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I know it doesn't matter but, since you are not employed by Apple, then maybe you shouldn't get the discount.

It's part of the reason for making employees wait. Apple knows store employees will give out their discount to friends.

Guitar Center does not offer an employee discount anymore because there was too much of that. GC is not Apple, but it could happen, but that is probably irrelevant to you.

17. filman408 macrumors regular

its behind their firewall

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, employees are allowed 3 15% Friends & Family discounts a year. Their one 25% discount they're not supposed to share.

19. GeorgeD macrumors member

This is wrong. I can't say how much they do get but it is a lot better than this. My friend is also getting me an employee discount. I'm so excited! :D

20. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually it is right. Maybe your friend is a senior level or higher position.

21. munnstermac macrumors newbie

The fact that they can offer such a good staff discount highlights how much the average consumer is being shafted. If they can afford a 25% discount, then you have to query the cost price. This isn't a jab at their employees as I am sure they are all nice enough rather the bullying tactics of Apple and they way that one is forced to buy their hardware at a premium just to be able to use the OS. Before any one says that its a perk of working for Apple, it isn't meant to cause offense rather highlight that they could reduce their products by 10% and still make a sufficient gain.

22. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

Heyy I gave my aunt's a call and she said the macboo pro should be available in 2 weeks max.
    She said that we'd have to wait till resselers get it and then it would be fine.

By end of october, it should be possible to get the discount :D

Now if you are really in a hurry, you can still ask the employee to go with you to the store and get 10%(instead of 15%) with his card.

Hope I helped :)

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, one-third of what you believe is incorrect. ;)

25. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot, that helped a lot. Now I know where to look (MacConnection or Mac Mall, they all have theirs on order and not available yet).