Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenectar101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
hey there,

My current battery on my Macbook Pro is now ready for replacement. It still will hold charge for about 2-3 hours of regular use, so I will be replacing it. But was wondering if there was an enclosure that the old battery could be put into to turn it into a battery power bank. If there was a way to make that work, it still holds a charge and could be used to extend the battery life of my mac and possibly even charge my phone as well.

Does this exist?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My current battery on my Macbook Pro is now ready for replacement.
If you're battery isn't safe or recommended to use in the laptop, why risk it by using it for something else? I'm not getting that thought process.

I think any money invested in materials or an enclosure is throwing good money after bad

Reactions: old-wiz

thenectar101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Power bank for macs are usually over $100, but if there was an enclosure/case built that had a charging port and a discharge port (specifically for macbook) that simply aloud that battery style to be plugged in, you could have a charger for your mac and usb for charging other devices ideally. Even if you could only get 2 hours extra life from that older battery macbook, it would be a nice add on.

My battery is still safe, just high on cycles and lower on life. I just hate to see a reasonably good battery thrown out, that's all.

Enclosures do exist, but just for other style batteries:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2A-Mobil...260106?hash=item5684dcf30a:g:JCcAAOSw5ZBWHd-x

Thanks for the thoughts

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
@thenectar101 the case you linked is for a significantly different battery type than that in the MacBook Pro. I suppose one could be built but the money spent on engineering for such a device would NEVER be recovered as the audience would be very narrow. The only Macs that would be supported would be up through 2012 models (the batteries in the Retina models are glued to the topcase) so there is no continuing need for them. Also, the batteries are fragile, it's a soft-sided lithium polymer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.