Engadget really dislikes the Glossy displays.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nauthiz, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nauthiz macrumors newbie

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/macbook-and-macbook-pro-review/2

Glad to see a large tech publication feels as strongly as many Macrumors members. Please Apple, listen, we want matte screens.

2. kis macrumors 65816

I read that, too - and immediately canceled my order. I had already looked at the MBPs in the store nearby and found the screens to be appalling. After having read some of the more positive comments here, however, I decided to order one anyway because I recently sold my old MBP (very bad decision) and really need a notebook right now.

I absolutely don't want to switch to Windows or Linux but right now I don't see an alternative :-(

3. genexrocket macrumors regular

Wow, they are just exaggerating, I just used it outside today, and I can see so much more clearly than my matte screen Gateway

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

I wanted to order it with the matte option, but glossy only wasn't enough to put me off ordering it. I am going to order an anti-glare screen cover for it and that will be enough. I don't find it very distracting when indoors.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm tempted to order one over the phone, ask for matte, and then cancel the order when they say it's only available in glossy ;)

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The underlying issue here, IMO, is Apple once again not understanding the importance of their customers wanting a few more choices...

The glossy only decision surprised the heck out of me before actually seeing a new MBP in person and before reading any of this predictable feedback. Did Apple think the "killer" unibody would make even the pros go glossy :confused:

In most cases Apple hits the nail on the head, which apparently has a downside effect of making Apple overly confident about making one-sided decisions for us instead of offering choices.

At times Apple has also been known to take away options without any warning, such as taking away OS X transparent menus at 10.5.2 (not to be mistaken with the menubar) without offering an alternative to users who really liked it the way it was, including myself and the majority of customers if you believe in polls such as the "bring back transparent menus" poll on this forum, and subsequently Apple did not listen to customer feedback...

My guess would be that Apple thought they would just have to put up with with the fallout of, for the most part, pros moaning about glossiness, thinking that those users should purchase external monitors and whichever adapter is needed to connect the two together, subsequently Apple would increase their revenue. It is also more cost effective to have less SKUs. Offering both multiplies whatever number of SKUs they currently have by two.

I would have predicted that enough customers would object to glossy to offset the costs.

Although offering matte could sting a bit for Apple, I'm guessing Apple will eventually offer an option. If so, some customers who bought glossy screens would likely want to exchange their laptops, ironically including some customers who likely would have still chosen glossy if there was a choice in the first place. On the other hand, many users who have gotten themselves engaged in this debate may have become proned to running out and buying the first new matte MB as soon as its available, who would have otherwise waited, having convinced themselves what they really wanted is finally here and/or let's reward Apple for listening.

7. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'm sorry but I lol'd at that line. Really?! Did you have to explain that 2x1=2?

Just my $0.02, but it'll only happen with a design change. I can't see them incorporating a matte option with the current template. The whole laptop was redesigned from the ground up with the intent of having a glass display.

Unless they redesign the upper panel at the next revision in may/june/whenever, it's not gonna happen.

Why....out of spite? Get real. :rolleyes:

8. Rogue68 macrumors newbie

I've "innocently" asked several Apple and reseller salespeople whether the MB or MBP will come with a matte screen option and cited the glossy as my reason for not buying.

In every instance they've said "Yes, a lot of people have been saying that" and in several instances they've told me they hate the glossy screens and have been disappointed themselves,.

Having read Jobs' speech yesterday I'm wondering whether matte wanters/needers are one of the groups Apple have decided they don't wish to serve, or if the option will be quietly made available in a few months time.

One thing I wanted to add: The MB seems to have a significantly more "difficult to look at" screen than the MBP. I can't work out whether this is because the bezel takes up proportionately more of the glass area or if there are two layers of glass there.

I was looking at the old/current Air last night and even though it's gloss, it also looks better than the MB screen.

9. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

And with regards to the Engadget review, the idea that a glossy screen is an automatic deal breaker for more than a small percentage of people is ridiculous.

The only time a glossy screen will give you any problem is if you position it directly in front of fluorescent lighting or have it tilted directly up at the sun.

And having owned multiple powerbooks and macbooks with matte screens, this bizarre reverence that people hold over the matte screen as if the sun or fluorescent lighting had no effect on it is asinine.

I remember having to shift the screen or where I was sitting many times when sitting in auditoriums with the old ones. They are not immune to ambient light.

10. kis macrumors 65816

True, it's not going to happen. But they could offer an approved solution (e.g. a film that can be applied to the notebooks) that won't void the warranty.

kis

11. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

The MB's have lower quality LED screens than the MBPs. The viewing angle is much lower as is the depth.

12. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Very true. I can see them offering that as a free option for them or just as a free accessory.

But the idea that all the matte screen worshippers have that Apple will redesign this thing is a pipe dream.

I've had multiple laptops over the years. Some with matte screens, a few Sony's with glossy screens, and now the new MBP with the glass screen. Even on my front porch here, I didn't have any problems with it. You might have to turn the brightness up one more notch in comparison to the matte screens, which is understandble since the glass screens reflect direct light sources better.

But I think it's blown faaaar out of proportion.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I know that Power Support makes such films for those new notebooks, but it's just kind of annoying that such a huge deal is just kind of ignored by Apple. My lucky little bit is my MBP should last me for a couple more years, but it just seems so crazy that they're doing this "give me glossy or give me death!" deal.

However, this blunder and the whole "wireless keyboards don't need to be as big" horse manure are the only two real bonehead moves I have seen Apple do in the past few years. I can deal with a glossy screen way more than I can Vista.

14. technogeek macrumors member

My rant against glossy-screen authoritarianism

I've put up my own rant against Apple's glossy-only screen policy here: http://dynamics.org/GLOSSY_SCREENS/ . Have you noticed how the new ads actually USE GLARE to distinguish the new designs? WTF?

15. kis macrumors 65816

I don't think I'd go with something like this unless it's officially Apple approved. If that stuff contains some chemical that will corrode the screen underneath after a while, Apple won't service that for free.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yeah, I noticed the glare on the images used in the unveiling and the Web site. I really don't get that because it does nothing to enhance anything on the outside. It just reminds you that you'll have to deal with that if you buy one.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

They make covers for the iPhone that are top-sellers. They don't use any chemical adhesive. It's basically static cling that keeps it on (quite well). It does awesome at taking the glare off my iPhone, but they're effin' hard to put on a device that size. I can imagine the fun of trying to do a good application on a 15.4" screen, let alone one of the iMacs or ACDs (whenever they make covers for those).

18. LordMelkor macrumors newbie

I have a one of the 32bit Core Duo Macbooks, with a glossy screen, and I must say the visibility outdoors is actually better than my old laptop with a matte screen.

What I do is I turn off my backlight completely and if I let sunlight fall directly on my screen (obviously I angle it such that the glare streaks aren't in the way) I can see everything perfectly, and I also save a lot of battery by leaving the backlight off.

For people whining about glare in the office... its a laptop! you can move them around and angle them as you please, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

19. technogeek macrumors member

Online petition for matte screen MacBooks

I forgot to mention that there is an online petition to Apple to offer matte screens on MacBooks, with nearly 5000 signatures so far and growing:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?38djhak2 .

20. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Hmmm, may have to go into the store today and have another look. Have a macbook pro on order.

21. kis macrumors 65816

ok, very good to know. However, I'm not quite sure this film can be applied without getting bubbles of air and dust particles underneath it. It's already difficult enough to apply protective films to small-screen devices such as cell-phones but having to cover a 15 incher seems close to impossible to me

22. ghettochild macrumors regular

This looks bad: comparison of old and new MBP is the same room with similar ambient lights:

[​IMG]

23. Kaupa macrumors regular

Lol,
    hard to compare if they dont have the same opening angle...

24. buthidae macrumors newbie

Agreed, maybe it's just the small image, but the MBP on the right looks tilted way back. Maybe if it was at a comparable angle to the one on the left it wouldn't be so bad ;)

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

OMG look at the glare in the side by sides.

Just so much to dislike about these laptops.

btw speaking of glossy screens. I just finished watching Mirrors ---- scary:eek:

Looking closer at the image it seems it may just be the reflection. The Macbook pro logo looks to be at the same angle as the older one.