Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Do you see what you did there?

Yes but I mean what's the point of having a nicely designed device that feels good in your hand if you cover it with a case? Might as well use it, scratch it, and then cover it, since a covered back feels the same whether it's scratched or not.

Plus in my opinion, a naked device always looks and feels better than a covered one, even if it's a bit damaged. Obviously the exception here is a broken or scratched screen, which is why the smart cover is a great idea: it protects the screen, and works as a stand, but doesn't cover the back.

Plus the aluminum back of the iPad is pretty scratch resistant, just like the MacBook Pros.

And Steve did say that they spend ages designing a great looking product that feels good in your hand, and they don't want to cover it up with a case. I'm not making this up, watch the iPad 2 keynote.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I read this and went out to buy the current smart cover so it wouldn't be sold out on launch day. I don't want or need something covering the back of mine.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Glass backed iPhone 5? Ooohhhh I can already here the millions screaming NNOOOOOO

Ha ha… that was EXACTLY my reaction when I read 'Glass-Backed iPhone 5'! I've been waiting so long for a more durable iPhone to replace my 3G.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Good news for the cover, I liked the smart cover idea, but it lacked back protection, so i didn't get one, if this is true, i might get one, and can't wait for the iPhone 6, but wait till the iPad 3 is out first!

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Ah, so the Smart Cover will no longer be the most stupid cover. :rolleyes:

My friend made a duct-tape version of the current Smart Cover that actually protects it way better.

Seanozz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

If they change the connector pin set up then the 4s will be the last new phone ibuy for a long while. I just own so many chargers and devices my phone slides into and would be a small fortone buying everything again.

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Ugh that case is ugly.

----------

Ha ha… that was EXACTLY my reaction when I read 'Glass-Backed iPhone 5'! I've been waiting so long for a more durable iPhone to replace my 3G.

I honestly don't know how much more durable the iPhone can be. I left mine on the roof of my car once - took off driving and the phone launched at 25mph onto the paved road. It's still working to this day. No broken glass, no chips, just a few scratches.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Ceramic is virtually unscratchable and would make for a great choice of material for the back plate!

virtally not good enough

----------

you people have lost your mind, if you want a more durable back, go buy an android, half the reason its so successful is apples designs, there clean, simple, and beautiful. i like it naked and if your really that big of a clutz, buy a case if you must, keep the glass Apple. just make it curved.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
you people have lost your mind, if you want a more durable back, go buy an android, half the reason its so successful is apples designs, there clean, simple, and beautiful. i like it naked and if your really that big of a clutz, buy a case if you must, keep the glass Apple. just make it curved.

Wha… I'm not allowed to keep using my preferred OS just because I would like a more durable phone? I'm a designer, and an appreciator of beautiful design, let me assure you. But I also believe that form must follow function. A phone is at risk of getting knocks and bumps by virtue of its intended function. Whether you're a 'clutz' or not, everyone drops something occasionally, and the risk increases with something you handle every day—not to mention something that's a little slippery when naked.

For those who just walked in mid-sentance, I'm talking about iPhones. :eek:

----------

I honestly don't know how much more durable the iPhone can be. I left mine on the roof of my car once - took off driving and the phone launched at 25mph onto the paved road. It's still working to this day. No broken glass, no chips, just a few scratches.

Then I'd say you're extremely lucky. Other people have shattered the glass by doing far less.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

I prefer my glass backed 4 with a cheap silicon case and me being careful to my 3G that the back cracked just out of design that there's not much you can do to prevent against (it had the typical crack leading from the dock connector that many people complained about). And I've actually dropped my 4 a few times. Did so yesterday and it landed on its face on the corner of my chair (so basically had a pressure point rather than spread out impact). It's perfectly fine.

Apple does plastic horribly (They also had problems with my macbook, bad enough they even acknowledged the issues and will replace keyboards of macbooks that the plastic cracks).

Now, I will admit I wish they'd use gorilla glass (or whatever tough glass they use on the front) for the back (I do think it was stupid they used regular glass there. But that could be fixed if they used "gorilla glass" or whatever they use for the front). But at least the back apparently is easy and cheap to fix. As for the front? Well it's either that or plastic which scratches easily. I like that I don't have to use screen protectors to worry about scratches on my screen. And so far, the glass has shown to be tough enough for at least my uses (and it's not that I'm not clumsy ;) ).

----------

Yes, but the premium rises for people who take good care of their phones / cars / computers / etc at the expense of those who are flippant.

I'm not saying that it's the case with this guy, but some people use insurance as a way out of being more careful. The thought process seems to be along the lines of "It don't matter, I'm insured.", and like anything, this comes at a cost for all.

Or worse, the insurance company stops covering it.

State Farm no longer offers insurance for cellphones and they had a pretty good deal (50 dollars a year against breaking, losing, and theft, no deductable). But I'm pretty sure people abusing the policy made them decide it wasn't worth it so now they exclude cellphones from their personal items insurance. And either by what you said, people not being careful cause they are like, "Oh, it's covered." Or worse, people who realized that they could pay the subsidized cost, break or lose the phone, and get the full price back (I bet that was really abused, especially when the phone was older and no longer able to get near full price for it).

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Now, I will admit I wish they'd use gorilla glass (or whatever tough glass they use on the front) for the back (I do think it was stupid they used regular glass there. But that could be fixed if they used "gorilla glass" or whatever they use for the front). But at least the back apparently is easy and cheap to fix. As for the front? Well it's either that or plastic which scratches easily. I like that I don't have to use screen protectors to worry about scratches on my screen. And so far, the glass has shown to be tough enough for at least my uses (and it's not that I'm not clumsy ;) ).

Well there you go… I didn't even realise they used a weaker glass on the back! Not sure how I missed that piece of information. Obviously they're stuck with using glass on the front, but I just figured twice the amount of glass has to increase the odds of breakage.

Regarding the whole issue of people not looking after their stuff because they're insured or whatever… I hate it when people here accuse anyone who questions Apple's choice of materials as not looking after their stuff, because that's an unfair assumption. I do look after my stuff, and I'm pleased to report that with a household which has thus far owned two iPhones, four iPod Touches and one iPad, none of them have suffered bad damage. Nevertheless, anything Apple can do to make these phones a bit more rugged for everyday use is a plus in my book.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Well there you go… I didn't even realise they used a weaker glass on the back! Not sure how I missed that piece of information. Obviously they're stuck with using glass on the front, but I just figured twice the amount of glass has to increase the odds of breakage.

At least in my experience the glass they use on the front is pretty tough (I do have a case on it but it doesn't cover the front glass and as I said, mine fell yesterday and got hit square on the screen with the corner of my chair leg, that's definitely not a good fall <- not that any are but that is more likely to break something when you have a small pressure point hit it rather than the force spread out).

Regarding the whole issue of people not looking after their stuff because they're insured or whatever… I hate it when people here accuse anyone who questions Apple's choice of materials as not looking after their stuff, because that's an unfair assumption. I do look after my stuff, and I'm pleased to report that with a household which has thus far owned two iPhones, four iPod Touches and one iPad, none of them have suffered bad damage. Nevertheless, anything Apple can do to make these phones a bit more rugged for everyday use is a plus in my book.

Oh, I agree, it's a small device you tend to hold a lot, take out of places (like pockets/purses), set down on places, and basically have a lot of chances for something to happen. I don't blame people for dropping the phone every now and then (but there is a difference between it happens and being totally careless). A small handhold device should be able to take some abuse, within reason. I say within reasons because no smarthphone is going to be super rugged unless you want something thick with lots of rubber corners (Think panasonic's toughbooks) solely because of the large screen, but also because of all the delicate electronics inside. The screen in itself though is a weak point of all smartphones. Some carefulness will be required of the user. But at the same time, the company designing it should expect it to be able to handle a moderate fall or two. At the same time, crap happens :(. And while it is almost inevitable it will get dropped, because it's a complicated device with a large screen, you might just find yourself with a broken device (or not but count yourself lucky and try not to do it again).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.