Enough with the PRSI articles on the front page.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tonyr6, Oct 29, 2018.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Really it is getting out of hand now. It seems at least 25% to 40% of the articles on the front page only let you comment on the cellpool PRSI fourm.

I think it if fine to still post these articles but put them on the side panel. Some good articles you put on the side panel that belong on the main panel.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

3. revmacian macrumors member

revmacian

I'm not sure if this works as I have not tested it. But, would it help to "ignore" the PRSI section? Go to the PRSI section and click the "Ignore Forum" link under the Post New Thread button.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

Ignoring that forum does not solve it, unfortunately.

5. revmacian macrumors member

revmacian

Aww, darn. Well, thank you for the info, good to know what does and doesn't work.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I guess I don't see why one couldn't just view the topic from the front page and then respond or follow it from there, in fact the last time I replied to one from the front page I didn't even realize it was in PRSI until afterwards. I've never understood the push back for any specific forum when you can simply not go in there, in the end it's up to you either way.

7. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Adding a filter would be welcome, and arguably should be incredibly easy to implement.

I get enough political crud everywhere else, I don't want to read about it on MacRumors.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many people avoid the PRSI as it is a dumpster fire, but I'm not sure moving those PRSI type news stories somewhere else will help, only because that will no doubt turn into a cesspool.

He has a valid concern and opinion on this, perhaps my pre-coffee brain is a little grumpy but, there's really no reason for the snarky response.

9. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

In my opinion, he didn't express it just as a valid concern or opinion
    He stated it as a directive to the site to comply with his view
    My "snarky response" was a sarcastic way of pointing that out

If you feel the comment is out of line, you are a Moderator
    Feel free to delete it

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Maybe you should participate and set an example so that it is one less instance of a cesspool?

11. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Alright, maybe I'm just an idiot, but I have to ask: what is the issue with PRSI articles on the front page?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like that particular sub forum, but I don't see how it affects anything. The annoying posters with access to the PRSI can already post on any non-PRSI article, the articles that make it to the PRSI are usually pretty tame (anything with the word "China" tends to make the cut), reading the comments is optional, and it's not as though MR staff is making a concerted effort to write articles for the PRSI; it's just that some happen to make it in.

Finally, Apple's net worth is approximately five-****ing-hundred times that of the poorest countries' GDPs. Mobile devices and computers in general affect nearly ever aspect of modern life, so one cannot separate the activities of the most valuable producer of these devices from politics, religion, and social issues (couldn't bring myself to type the acronym again). Every decision they make has the potential to severely impact the three topics covered by that sub forum.

12. Lioness~ macrumors 6502a

Lioness~

I must have done something very right, I rarely or next to never, see anything from PRSI when on MR ;)

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

While I get that moderation in there can be a pain, particularly as tightly as MR runs it, we should point out that there are also several regular posters who have never been a problem that do a great job of contributing.

That said, it's your board and your rules, why have a forum you despise?

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly and very well argued.

One cannot separate the advances in the world of technology and the enormous - and ever increasing - impact that has had on life and society with wider political, social and other issues.

To pretend that questions concerning issues of privacy (not to mention other issues directly related to Apple, such as Apple's tax arrangements and labour practices) can be ignored by society - and politics - is to live divorced from their implications.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Wow another one of these! Count me in as one who dislikes PRSI and how I can't just ignore the forum and enjoy Macrumors. It forces itself on recent posts -- only way to avoid it is the New Posts on the top left, which has helped but I still get sucked into reading PRSI.

The way moderation works is, you only get caught if someone complains. And if you have a heated disagreement and make up, and someone else complains, suspensions still abound. I like this site... that's why I contribute so to make more work for the mods is against why I'm here and why I donate $. I imagine PRSI threads/posts/news articles generate a lot of $ for Macrumors.

But yeah, that New Posts (https://forums.macrumors.com/find-new/posts) is great - it honors the ignore forum option unlike the Latest Replies.

I'd probably participate in PRSI more if suspensions and mods wasting their time wasn't the result.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why not create a front page PRSI forum, it would be separate from the "cesspool" and only be threads started by staff.

17. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

That could work. Also being able to hide PRSI news posts on the front page would be better.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why not exercise some self-control, instead of asking the mods to remove such from your view? If you want to comment on an article in that forum, comment within the TOS and there is nothing to worry about. If you don't want to comment, there are plenty of other threads to find interest in.

Sometimes, stories are social and political. Not a big deal.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think it is a valid complaint. The people that post in the front page political stories are not the same regulars from the PSRI. Why not separate them out into another subforum where people can choose to see or not. Plus why should people who are banned from the PRSI be blacklisted from commenting on Apple related topics.

20. maflynn, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use my own self control by not posting in those news stories, simply because it seems other members are unable to exercise that same self control and that's why the PRSI is a dumpster fire. For the OP, the article may be very interesting and he wants have a civil, mature discussion and debate, if its in the PRSI, that won't happen it seems :(

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If they were not blocked from posting in the PRSI forum, those members who have caused problems in PRSI would be have to be banned from the whole site, so they wouldn't be able to comment on any topics at all.

We didn't want to do that because we have found most of those posters will behave much more reasonably when they are not discussing politics, so they are just blocked from PRSI and are free to continue using the rest of the forums. Allowing them to post in political themed Apple news threads doesn't seem like a sensible option to me.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If that is the case, it doesn't reflect well for the business called MacRumors, in my opinion. Doesn't make sense to continue putting up with a blot on pages and thorns in the side, when the remedy is very simple.

@arn As much as you may dislike the idea, you should seriously consider getting the PRSI side of your business in order. I bet if you had to deal with the constant troubles in said forum, you wouldn't allow your business time and business model to put up with the constant trouble. The moderators (working in your business for free) shouldn't have to spend the majority of their time constantly dispensing with verbal diarrhea (via TOS violations) especially when this business is tech based.

Do you want to continue to grow a respected business where people feel welcome and enjoy making use of the tech forums, or do you want to continue to make your moderators deal with things you have chosen to ignore, and have established people declining to contribute because of the cesspool called PRSI?

In one corner of your "Best Buy" type business layout, you have one section that is constantly being vandalized, people fighting, and the police constantly being called to your business. Those coming to your business see the chaos and destruction and wonder why the management cares so little about their business as they exit the premises and tell their friends what a mess your business is, even though there are many, many positive aspects about MacRumors.

Success in business comes from leadership. And as the head of the MacRumors business, you need to step up and exercise some visible leadership. I doubt you would allow strangers to come to your home and disrespect you and your family. And yet, you continue to welcome such dysfunctional behavior in your business.

And while I am on the subject of leadership, there is no excuse to not pay your moderators a reasonable wage to help keep your business in order, in my opinion. They put in a lot of hours every day. They are doing their best to look out for your business model's best interest. Without the moderators (and admins as well) you wouldn't have the kind of business you have right now.

Many of your moderators have let it be known publicly, that the PRSI is a place that they don't like to go to and are tired of having to deal with the headache and trouble of that one section of your business every day.

The people that continue to tear up that particular section of your business day after day are not respecting you, your business or your employees. They aren't buying anything from you. Why do you allow the madness to continue?

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why post political Apple threads on the front page if they are just going to be thrown into the political forum. If they are no different from any political topic why single then out.

By doing this you are funneling members who would never venture into the PRSI to discuss a topic. I’m sure these members lurk around longer and maybe get sucked into the pit of misery.

These stories are either political and should not get extra coverage on the front page or they get their own forum.

24. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Beautifully put. I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly posted in PRSI outside Apple-related threads (though I do drop in occasionally to read), nor have I felt compelled to, but your Best Buy analogy is a really powerful illustration of the effect PRSI may have on some readers and commenters.

25. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

This, this and this.

Why is it so difficult to stay within the MR membership agreement, even if you disagree? I get for the hot button topics there are some that won’t let it go, but that has happened in the News, iOS and iPhone sections also. (And yes guilty as charged at times :() if one can’t post without going off the deep end, recognize that and don’t post.