Enough with the PRSI articles on the front page.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tonyr6, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

you don't like it, therefore it should be removed?

you'd go well in PSRI... :D

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

PRSI keeps it concentrated in one place. Without PRSI, you would have the PRSI topics discussed in the iPhone, desktop, and all the other forums. If you think the moderators have it bad now, it will be 100x as worse if they have to put as much time in all the other forums as they do in PRSI.

Nobody is forcing people to read the PRSI comments and the front page articles that end up in PRSI always have a warning (i.e. it's easy to avoid the comments). If people want to discuss the article and avoid PRSI, they can always create a new (non PRSI) thread.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many sites just out right ban PRSI content, so it won't make it's way into the other forums. I see little reason that a tech site maintains a forum that is so divisive and so different then its mission statement. I understand in 2018 there are news stories that will be political in nature but for those exceptions we can have a political News section for those infrequent stories.

4. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I can see why there is some wisdom about containing PRSI type talk in a dedicated forum. It’s amazingly easy to derail a thread with one off topic political post.

Having said that PRSI has been part of the landscape for years and doesn’t seem it’s going anywhere. Almost all leaving breathing websites have some type of off-topic areas apart from their main raison-d’etre. MR has a few offtopic areas PRSI is one of them.

I gave PRSI a shot and to say there are some threads with agendas are an understatement.

In my own opinion, removing PRSI will cause a huge disruption in this site making moderation much more difficult than it already is.

It’s been said before, if one doesn’t like PRSI don’t go there, if you go there post within the guidelines.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I agree with some/many?/all? of your sentiments. However, it has been my experience and is my opinion that MR doesn't want to improve at anything related to the forums. The focus is clearly on more video, partnerships with 3rd party companies, and editorial content.

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

You certainly can do that but it would mean banning the many users that will post PRSI topics or replies in the different forums.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not banning but losing, and many of those people don't interact in the open forums anyways. That is they only come here to MR to discuss PRSI stuff. Perhaps another site or sites geared to discussing politics would be a better fit for those people anyways instead of a technology site focused on Apple products.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wish we had the same rules as another forum I use...

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

That's at least two of you that oppose this forum (and type of discussion) here at MR. Maybe it's time for you all to hold a vote in the private mods section?

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We don't make those kind of decisions.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

And all this time I pictured you singing... "IVE GOT THE POWWAHHH!!" Jim Carrey style.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We do have some power. :D

[​IMG]

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

From the looks of things in the PRSI forum you guys are slapping that button like it owes you money.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You, as a group, underestimate your power.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No we don't but there are higher levels of command that make decisions such as that.

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You could, as a group, decide it isn't worth moderating that sub-forum, yes?

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

MacRumors is a business so it's up to the management to decide how it's run. The moderators (correct me if I'm wrong) are the employees.

The moderators can certainly get together and refuse to moderate a sub-forum but, like in any other business, there are consequences when the employees refuse to follow the direction of management.

In any case, I'm sure the moderators are continuing to talk to the management about any issues.

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You're absolutely right. The unpaid workers might find themselves out of a "job" if they fail to carry out the direction of the management.

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm not sure if they are paid or not but they would most likely be replaced as in any other business.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

All the mods and admins are volunteers.

21. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Of course. All I'm saying is that, as a group, the moderators hold more power than they think they do. They, again, as a group, hold a decent amount of leverage.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

All the forums are subject to moderation but individual moderators can chose not to moderate in a certain forum if they are not comfortable doing it.

I very much doubt PRSI will ever be allowed to become the unmoderated Wild West free for all that some members dream about.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some sites make the political forums paid only. It keeps it out of the eyes of regular users and would probably be a free for all.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Most sites ban it altogether.

25. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

And that could maybe happen if the moderators together decide that they are done moderating with it. It could possibly be easier for the management to just shut it down then to try to replace most/all of the mods at once.

On one hand, I'm surprised to see that representation of the company (in this case, the moderators) are allowed to repeatedly call parts of the company trash in a public setting. I doubt that would be allowed where I work. On the other hand, they aren't being paid, so really, what is to stop them? Nor do I blame them (for holding those views) in this case, frankly. I learned a long time ago that I am not welcome in PRSI.