Enough with the PRSI articles on the front page.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tonyr6, Oct 29, 2018.

1. velocityg4, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

When it comes to PRSI articles. I don't mind their existence per se. Rather that they exclude members from participating in discussion. I'd rather they have their own forum and follow non PRSI rules established in other forums.

I do like reading through the PRSI some. Rarely do I feel the need to post in PRSI outside of Macrumors articles which reside their. Although I try to keep those posts in non-MR PRSI threads a-political, just food for thought.

Mainly, I find it fascinating to see the vitriol for one point of view or another or decrying another political party for something. Without the realization that they or their party are doing, have done or failed to do something similar. It often reminds me of the verse "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?".

Although it becomes tough for management to fire employees working for free. Then they have to find other skilled people who will do as good a job for free or start paying people. It's not like some old fashioned factory strike where there are tons of low skilled laborers clamoring for low skilled work.

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that the moderators do not take sides when moderating PRSI and both sides do seem to be impacted equally.

Everything in society seems to link to politics now. I actually enjoy the front page articles that MacRumors links to PRSI. They make for interesting discussions instead of the president good / bad threads in PRSI.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

When you view in this context, just viewing and responding to the post from the front page, you would never even really know which forum it's in. I've done this several times without paying attention to exactly where I was, it just feels like you're replying to the front page post.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Huh, I always thought it was a hammer, not a button.

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

My sense, based on the current set of regular posters in PRSI, is that the majority of recent bans and suspensions have been of right-leaning posters. Now, some of them may have chosen voluntarily to stop posting, but I have seen a clear and noticeable drop in the number and frequency of right-leaning posts in PRSI in recent months. And I think the forum has suffered as a result.

And, regarding the original topic of PRSI topics on the front page, there is a distinct difference in the quality and scope of comments on PRSI front-page posts and those that originate in PRSI. Front page posts attract a lot of commenters who do not regularly post in PRSI and they tend to be far more conservative and superficial than the typical PRSI set of posters (even before the recent disappearance of a lot of the more conservative posters from PRSI). Some may view PRSI as a dumpster fire, but I think that the comment threads that originate there are actually far more thoughtful than the PRSI threads that originate on the front page.

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I haven't been there as much since it's somewhat boring right now. It seems like 95%+ of the post are Trump good / bad post. These post still seem to be popular but I got tired of reading them.

I occasionally try to start a non-political topic but it never goes far. Either people aren't interested in the topic or they ignore my post because they are not interested in my point of view :).

7. samiwas macrumors 68000

Odd. I have seen exactly the opposite, and wholeheartedly disagree that more right-leaning members are banned. I feel that the forum has become much more right leaning in the past few years. There is a huge list of right wingers who still continue to post in there, while most of the original left members have been banned (including myself). And indeed, it has suffered.

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I can only speak to changes over the last year, since I was not active in the forum before that. There have been a number of the more active right-wing posters over that time who have suddenly stopped posting, for whatever reason. Those that remain are certainly active, but their arguments become very repetitive after a while. (And, to be clear, I am a liberal and vehemently disagree with most of what these folks have to say).

9. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

PRSI articles are back. Already three in a row are PRSI articles. Really post them on the side.

10. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Probably more of a pre-empty better safe than sorry type of thing given that when it's something non-technical/business that involves Tim Cook saying or doing something there are almost always posts that start popping up spinning something or other in some PRSI type of way. That and perhaps the part of it all related to Toys for Tots which does more or less fit in with the Social Issues part of PRSI.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have to wonder if that article was even worthy of front page news to begin with.

15. chown33 macrumors 604

Different people have different holiday traditions. For some it's Peace and Joy, or maybe Rejoice in the Light, while for others it's The Airing of Grievances.

And for some, every day is an opportunity to repeat a holiday tradition. Like Groundhog Day, but without a redemption theme.

16. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Now I understand.

If any article should be on PRSI it would be this story
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/12/10/qualcomm-iphone-import-ban-china/

I personally think PRSI front page articles which should be pushed to the side deseve there own forum.

17. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Practically any topic has the potential to turn political, especially in today's climate. The staff here is so hell-bent on policing every little thing that instead of simply either removing the post or re-directing (staff warning in the thread) this is the reaction instead.

One post went off topic by a couple of people, address those posts, ask the people to stop and move on instead of imposing penalties or moving to different forums.

18. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

@arn Hopefully you’ve read this post. It’s eloquent and spot on.

19. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Not to throw oil on a fire, as I have no opinion of him as a person, but under the Tim Cook tenure at Apple, more and more Apple related news falls into PRSI due to Tim’s desire for Apple as a massively profitable company to leverage its influence into social issues, using his position at Apple direct those efforts. Sorry Tim but you make an insane boatload of money and can easily do much of that on your own dime and time without making it the hobby of a tech company that many feel has lost its innovative edge.

How can MR avoid front page articles and the need for the sub forum if there are so many areas in which Apple is part of news that is applicable to those topics.