Enough with the PRSI articles on the front page.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tonyr6, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I guess that is the question, if they are not getting paid getting fired won't matter much. I know it's not a union job where you can go to the boss with a grievance. But if the conscious is not to moderate a certain forum because of the blowback either it gets shut down or new "employees" are added.

Letting a virus fester long enough will cause prolonged damage. Something has to be done one way or the other.

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Thank you for moderating. It seems like it could be a thankless job with endless complaints.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2018 ---
    Are you banned from PRSI ?

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Obviously I'm a bit biased since I frequent PRSI, but I am fascinated by all the hand wringing over it.

Yeah things can be a bit contentious a time or two, but that's kind of why one participates in such a forum. Due to the moderation I haven't seen it descend into a 'cesspool' of any kind, especially if one has seen any other such forums. Rules have been laid out, there'a a few grey areas here & there, but for the most part the regulars on any side adhere to those rules. For one to be bothered by anything posted I still imagine one has to enter the forum willingly.

What has legitimately shocked me is comments from persons who aren't PRSI regulars who do post from the front page. I've seen comments that I know the most strident of PRSI people wouldn't dare post unless they were intending to be banned. If it's those comments that upset some so much, seems a bit unfair to paint the whole forum with that wide brush.

Then again, the calls for the dissolution of the PRSI forum have become a regularly cyclical thing.

Be a shame. While a forum on Mac products is helpful, I imagine it can't be enough to sustain constant year round traffic. Which is why I imagine it offers a variety of things to interest as many as possible.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It seems to me (I may be wrong) that many of the calls to get rid of the PRSI are from members that have been banned from posting there ?

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

That I can't say definitively. I know a fair number of those calling for PRSI's dissolution, are ones who feel their voices aren't heard as loudly as they want. I've always felt that the PRSI forum isn't about making another vacuum of hearing like minded views. It's about hearing other views that force you to consider your own more strongly, more focused, and make you do the work clarifying yourself. Some don't care for that, and may not care for a forum that will allow that. That's cool, but it's telling that they don't want others to have such a thing.

I do know there was one thread I found hilarious ( if not tiring & trying for the mods ) here in the feedback forum where a poster railed about being banned and used this forum instead to go off.

I just say if people give it a chance, you can learn quite a bit from the posters who do the research to support their points. I can never say enough about the poster Carnegie who explains quite a bit about legal things, and look forward to anytime he posts. Similarly there are other posters who offer such insights about other subjects that make me go to do my own research afterward.

Isn't that why we come to forums, to learn new things?

6. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

I post comments on PRSI from time to time, but when I do I try to keep myself in check. There are times though I want to shoot with both barrels, but I stop, think and edit if I felt I went too far before I hit the Post Reply button. I think for the most part I don't ruffle feathers too much in PRSI.

Though I have to say I find myself trying to post on regular categories more than I do PRSI. I do say I wouldn't mind meeting people here on MacRumors in person other than a few posters on PRSI forum. Even some of their profile pictures makes me cringe, for I know they are just trying to provoke people who don't share their views on the issues. I would have to say I wouldn't miss PRSI at all if the MacRumors decided to get rid of it.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Even after the heavy handed new rules to try to temper posts, it still seems to be getting worse in there. The insults might be gone but the heavy partisanship and lack of knowledge remains.

The trolls still rule the roost and I don't see it changing.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I am not.

9. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

If you are not banned in PRSI, why do you think that you aren't wanted there ?

Most people there don't seem to care for my opinions but I still post. I'm not bothered when people disagree with me and it's nice to see other points of view.

The secret to PRSI is to not get the last word in. State your opinion, answer any questions other posters have, and then move on.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well said and well argued, and yes, I am in complete agreement with you.

Yes, I remember that thread. Insane and hilarious and ultimately, very revealing.

And again, very well said.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Actually, it's the exact opposite of the wild west in there, the moderation team here runs it like a prison. I get the job is not easy but (seemingly) every little report or spat is treated with a heavy hand, even when they're simply engaging in debates that get a little heated.

There is no letting things play out with this team, they jump in and smack you down the second you cross their perceived line. Never have I seen a forum where they discuss politics as tightly wound up and controlled as MR.

"Wild west", man it's hard not to laugh at that.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The reasons why moderation is now stricter in PRSI were explained in a forum announcement made in April 2017 which I have quoted below. It has worked well so far as the amount of moderation time spent on PRSI matters has now been reduced.

We give all members three chances in a six month period which is more than generous. If certain members are not prepared to change their behaviour after the first or second warning they really should be looking at themselves rather than lashing out at strict moderation.

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

You are all volunteers? Wow. I mean at least the Admins you'd think would get a little $ compensation. Interesting. That's some serious dedication. Has to be frustrating to pour your life into this site so much and have other people say that this site is horrible, I know it would be hard for me not to take it personally. lol.

Have to say more respect to you and the other mods (especially @Weaselboy ). <hats off>.

I'm not a fan of PRSI --- have to say that staying out of there for the last few months? has been nice. I would like to be involved but my blood pressure is high enough and you mods seem to be overworked as it is.

Nice to be part of a forum that doesn't blow with the wind. Been part of too many forums that disappear, mods tear it apart, or it is just a horrible place.

14. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Don't allow comments on PRSI articles since they can run rapid on the front page. The worst of other tech sites when they might rarely post a PRSI article and they say "Comments are disabled" but MR will post the same PRSI articles over and over again.

15. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

There is an easy solution in that people do not need to read any of the comments.

If the comments bother someone, they should skip them.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

One common way this is done in larger forums is to have a separate post for comments. So the story is posted directly into a news forum (for example) then locked for comments. Then a separate topic for comment is created in the political forum (for example) and linked to from the original post. I know it sounds messy but it actually works quite well.

17. samiwas macrumors 68000

Yeah, since I’ve been sent on vacation from PRSI, I don’t spend much time there any more, but I do stop in periodically to see what’s being said about major events.

It’s true...the application of the rules has left the place filled with what are essentially trolls. Those who spout all sorts of nonsense repeatedly, but don’t actually cross the invisible line. Those who try to argue against the trolls are found to have crossed that line and removed.

Anyone who can go to PRSI and still claim it’s a bastion of liberalism is crazy. The place has become a far-right echo chamber for the most part.

18. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

PRSI is not a bastion of anything. A lot of what is posted are not cogent posts designed to further a conversation, they are jabs that fall under the radar. Don't think that will ever be stopped, but at least the blatant insults seemed to have slowed down. Although there are clearly posters, who don't count to three before pressing the post reply button.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why should under the radar jabs be any different than blatant insults?

20. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Jabs aren’t necessarily insults. They may more fall under bickering.

21. tgara, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Except that the problem with this high-minded sentiment is that that is not what happens in the PRSI forum. As I wrote this I took a look at the topics in that forum. Of the 50 threads on the first page, 42 were about the president, the administration or its policies, or the recent election, and had absolutely nothing to do with the social or political impact of technology in general or Apple's impact in particular. 4 were original articles posted by the MacRumors team that pertain to Apple and relate, at least in some way, to the high-minded topics you mentioned. The rest were about something else.

When people say the PRSI forum is a cesspool or a dumpster fire, they're right. I think most people, me included, would be happy to discuss the impact of Apple or technology more generally on society in a thoughtful way, but that's not what we have. Instead, we have over 80% of the PRSI threads discussing topics that are not even remotely relevant to those you mentioned. It's not a friendly place either. The snark and disrespect and vilification for people with alternative views is quite evident. In fact, during the perusal I mentioned above, I noticed that one poster in one thread referred to people who support the president as "MAGAts". I guess this is his cute way of calling them parasites. Frankly, I don't see how you can have a constructive conversation with anyone when they view you immediately as a parasite simply because of the views or positions you hold.

I think the PRSI section should do away with posts from members entirely, and just let it be a forum from the MacRumors teams on topics about Apple's impact, effect, and influence on politics and society. If members here want to discuss other aspects of politics that are unrelated to technology generally or Apple in particular, there are many, many other forums elsewhere to do that.

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I guess it depends on the person's point of view. Currently, to me, PRSI appears to be a bastion of liberalism with only a few right wing posters (i.e. it's a left leaning echo chamber).

The discussion of the same topics can get boring sometimes but I generally enjoy reading other points of view.

23. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Well, for me it's hard to say because I take breaks (of my own accord) from the PRSI forum for a few months here and there and recently jumping back in I see very few of the same people I saw last time. This tells me one of two things, first is that people may have opted to stop posting on their own, or second, they have been banned from this forum and judging by the feedback in the Site and Feedback forum I'm guessing this is mostly why.

The rules here are extremely stringent and both sides are impacted equally from what I've seen.

24. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I don't think there was anything high-minded about the posts you responded to, but this thread has diverged into two separate topics. The first, which I was actually replying to, was whether or not there should be so many front page articles pertaining to politics. I simply argued that that politics and the actions of the world's most valued brand are inseparable and that having MR articles in the PRSI wasn't necessarily bad for them, and you rebutted neither point. If these articles are going to be posted anywhere, it's better they be somewhere that's a little harder to get into (by which I mean a little harder to post in).

The second topic, which you seem to be discussing, is whether or not the PRSI should exist at all. I cannot refute any of the points you made; nearly every thread is about ol' 45, and those that aren't guarantee he'll be shoehorned in later. I'm not a fan of the PRSI as I said in my OP. Participation is voluntary, though, and those that have posted seem to hate moderating it. I like your idea about restricting the PRSI to MR articles only. I think another good idea, @arn, which would help the moderators out, is to raise the threshold of posts required to get in. It's 100 minimum now, but why not 500 or even 1,000? I bet the only folks who could initially make it into the PRSI would be a hell of a lot kinder, knowing how much time they'd sunk into maintaining an account that's in good standing. Plus, those that are already in the forum might be impelled to act with civility if they knew how much effort would be required to get back in after a permeant suspension. ;) You could even have a sticky thread about this change at the top, reminding people to not be *******s.

25. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I was responding mostly to ScepticalScribe's post. Yours got me thinking, though. It doesn't change my view, but thanks all the same. I do agree with you that Apple's large size and influence does give it a prevalent role in society today, and that is worthy of serious discussion. I think Apple realizes that as well.