Entry-Level 13-Inch MacBook Pro Updated With 8th-Gen Processors, Touch Bar, Touch ID, and T2 Security Chip

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2019.

1. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

By the way, I don’t get the hate for the Touch Bar. Sure it’s a little gimmicky, but the fn key turns them into function keys if you miss them.

2. dabrain13 macrumors newbie

Hmm... the entry level processor in the MBP is oddly clocked: 1.4GHz Quad-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz. Anyone have any experience with these super-throttling chips? What's the performance hit?

Also...does
    anyone like the Touch Bar? Still haven't seen a killer-app for it.

3. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Upgradable to 16gb

4. azdolan macrumors member

Glad they did this, will be great for me going back to uni with

5. pop2video macrumors newbie

sad that mine with 16gb ram still running perfectly lol

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I do! I just wish there was a real escape button, but the only reason I miss that is because of gaming, I often miss the virtual one.

7. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

At a high additional cost. 16GB should be standard.

8. jinnyman macrumors regular

wow. their obsession with Touch Bar continues lol

9. Ries macrumors 68020

Does it also transform into always on, tactile keys that aren't considered pressed just because you rest your finger on it or mistakenly brush the surface of it, because you are feeling for the one you're looking for?

10. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

I suspect this has everything to do with the keyboard. Need to put the Gen 4 in everything. TouchBar is still a giant helping of stupid.

11. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

“People”... When are MacRumors users going to realize that the echo chamber on this forum isn’t necessarily what mainstream Apple customers think?

The TouchBar is a great idea whose potential hasn’t been entirely realized. Now that every MacBookPro has it and it’s been added to every other Mac through Sidecar on Catalina, I can see developers taking deeper advantage of the TouchBar.

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

$200 cheaper. From 1,299 -> 1,099. 999 if you’re a qualifying student.

13. andy89 macrumors 6502

14. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

Tempted by that entry level pro now it has touch bar. The most stupid thing Apple did was to not put on everything, a bit like 3D Touch, either go all in or do not bother, when you go half way developers do not take it on fully.

15. jb-net macrumors member

Wrong move from Apple! As an owner of a 15" MBP with Touchbar I would pay for an option to get rid of it and back to a normal keyboard.

16. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

How can you say a new product has a “faulty” keyboard? You can’t know this yet.

17. Pepe4life macrumors 6502

Pepe4life

Pretty sure it’s a fair statement given that these laptops still use butterfly keyboards. Unless you’d like to ignore the trend for the past 3.5 years

18. fillz macrumors newbie

Pock might not be THE killer app for TouchBar, but it's the best use case for it that I know of.

19. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

Bought a 2018 MBA last year. It was a tough choice between it and the 2017 13” MBP nTB.

Now, the 2019 entry level MBP seems a better choice for people who can spend a little more and like or at least can tolerate the TB.

20. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

Good update overall, though I'll miss the nTB MBP and the MacBook. The 2015 MacBook basically started the current design language, including the introduction of the butterfly keyboard. I guess in the history of Apple's notebooks the 2016/2017 nTB MBP will perhaps be considered to be the odd machine out, with only one revision after its original introduction.

I know the 128/8 combination is a bit cheap, but at least the price of entry for the MBP and Air were lowered.

While the upgrade is tempting, I'll likely continue to use my nTB 2016 MBP and my spouse her 2016 MacBook for at least a few more years.

21. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

The Touch Bar came out three years ago. How much longer do we have to wait for its potential to be realized?

22. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

Is it just me or did they also lower the prices for the higher end models? When I checked last week the fully maxed out 13" MBP (2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD) costed 4099 Euro, now it's just 3599 Euro! Maybe a price drop on the upgrades?

23. sub150 macrumors member

Well, hopefully this is just a temporary simplification of the assembly line going from 4 laptops to essentially 2 (MBA and MBPwTB) before the keyboard revamp and revised MBA's with TouchID, MBP with TouchID, and MBP with TouchBar.

Ah who the hell am I kidding, the MBP will never be Touchbar less again. Idiots over there. They have to be looking at the metrics and seeing no one uses it for anything other than the standard fn keys.

24. Marco Klobas macrumors regular

Marco Klobas

Do you think Apple will release someday a keyboard with Touch Bar?

25. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I'd wager this has less to do with doubling down on the touch bar as it does with reducing cost by simplifying the manufacturing differences between models, as well as targeting students with some needed freshness in the base model of a laptop design that is on its last leg.