Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I just hope they'll also upgrade the screen resolution of the "iPhone 2.0". I don't feel that 480x320 are smooth enough, especially considering the screen size.
Japanese and Korean cell phones already have 800x480px, lot's of PDAs with about the same screen size as the iPhone have VGA (640x480).
The higher resolution would come in handy when reading web sites or PDFs. In general the screen would appear to be "smoother". I just hope they won't forget that, while working on 3G/UMTS/CDMA, A-GPS, 32GB, etc

this would require a large battery increasing the iphones size and weight, no thanks

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I hope Apple makes it so the trick of tapping the top of the screen in Safari to scroll to the top of a page works in all apps. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to do that in Mail and iTunes.

never knew that thanks:D

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
And of course, if you DON'T do ANY filing, and I have something even CLOSE to what you're doing..... and I did file..... you're dead.

Absolute bull. Youre confusing copyrights and patents again.

Firstly if anyone is taking money off you to 'file' a copyright you're being scammed. You don't file copyright. You *have* copyright already on everything you made.

Secondly to prove copyright infringement you'd have to prove a *copy* was made of your program/device/whatever. Being 'a bit similar' is *not* copyright infringement unless you can prove this. That's what patents are for - they're more broad (and apply even when direct copying was not done) but must be applied for.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
And of course, if you DON'T do ANY filing, and I have something even CLOSE to what you're doing..... and I did file..... you're dead.

not quite.

in the US (and most of other places) you don't NEED to file a copyright for an artifact to be copyrighted. it's automatic. you don't even necessarily need to put the © label.
but it helps if you do -possibly a lot- in case of litigations. And to protect form foreign infringements.

the registration basically establishes a public record, and increases the chances of winning an eventual lawsuit (and the claimable damages). in fact, you HAVE to register the copyright, if you have/want to file a lawsuit

in the case of the game, the game IS copyrighted the moment it is done.as such, is protected. the protection is fairly tight when publicly shown.
the "idea" of the game however is not (you'd need a patent for that).
if they didn't register or if they hadn't put the copyright note, and you'd come with the same game in 6 months and file it, in a lawsuit they'd likely still win, but the case would be not a simple as if they did register, not to mention that you would risk much lesser punishment (for example payment for lawyers fees)

that said, i'm sure they did register it, as a minimum to prevent other to profit from the game andpossibly to develop it themselves.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
this would require a large battery increasing the iphones size and weight, no thanks

No it wouldn't. The backlight of the screen is what sucks the battery, so increasing resolution will make little (if any) difference.

And why you think it would increase the size and weight of the iPhone is beyond me...

Higher res screens please.

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
It doesn't matter whose DS is better than whose iPhone. The iPhone has faster graphics, a bigger screen, multi-touch, great free dev tools, and super-easy wireless game shopping. The DS has a far more mature selection of current titles, compared the iPhone at zero (until June).

What matters is that you ALREADY carry a phone--or an iPod--and now you have games too. A PS or DS is a poor game machine when you've left it at home. iPhone gaming will take off for sure, and that doesn't say anything bad about those who have fun on a DS or PSP.

while i agree that the device that you have with you is much more useful than the one you left at home, i am going to diverge from there.

the iphone is not a gaming platform. it is a phone. without buttons there are many games it cannot ever be good for. the OS of the iphone is not specialized for gaming, therefor there are other things running, which will take away from resources. Not to mention battery life.

while i can see basic games, maybe even things like the sims or spore working, you would be hard pressed to bring a FPS, or Mario, or even an RTS to the phone.

now, phoenix wright, that game needs to be on the iphone. I want to yell OBJECTION! in the middle of a meeting.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
No it wouldn't. The backlight of the screen is what sucks the battery, so increasing resolution will make little (if any) difference.

And why you think it would increase the size and weight of the iPhone is beyond me...

Higher res screens please.

wrong!!!!!! It takes more cpu to output to a higher resolution.

because most 640x480 pdas etc come in close to the 200g mark

so there!

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
*sigh* still no ringtones for text messages. Apple is so inexplicably stubborn sometimes..

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
wrong!!!!!! It takes more cpu to output to a higher resolution.

because most 640x480 pdas etc come in close to the 200g mark

so there!

Actually, wouldn't that be more GPU? Somehow I don't see the iPhone having much trouble in either department. I'm sure the assets they already use are probably of a higher resolution than what you see on your screen so it may not even make a difference.

A higher resolution would be one of the changes that they could make that would have the least impact on the battery life. And a higher res screen would have the same dimensions and weight as the current one, so there's no reason to assume it'll increase weight and size.

Obviously it is the screen in those PDAs that makes them big and heavy...

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Actually, wouldn't that be more GPU? Somehow I don't see the iPhone having much trouble in either department. I'm sure the assets they already use are probably of a higher resolution than what you see on your screen so it may not even make a difference.

A higher resolution would be one of the changes that they could make that would have the least impact on the battery life. And a higher res screen would have the same dimensions and weight as the current one, so there's no reason to assume it'll increase weight and size.

Obviously it is the screen in those PDAs that makes them big and heavy...

wether its the GPU or not it requires more power to meet its demands, that means less battery life.

its the chunky battery that makes them big and heavy.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
wether its the GPU or not it requires more power to meet its demands, that means less battery life.

its the chunky battery that makes them big and heavy.

Something kind of related is, I wonder what the maximum resolution/screen DPI the average person can make out. Like take a screen a foot from your face and covering your whole field of view. I wonder what the resolution would have to be before you can't make out the difference anymore. You know what I mean?

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
The key board in safari is designed to type 1 line in the address bar not whole paragraphs, in an email etc you wouldn't be able to see what you are doing.

that's why I assume it is only portrait in mail and sms. I just tried it for this post and you can't even see the magnification when placing where to type its off screen

Yeh its silly you can't see the magnification glass - it should swivel around a la Aperture's Loup tool.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
while i can see basic games, maybe even things like the sims or spore working, you would be hard pressed to bring a FPS, or Mario, or even an RTS to the phone.

now, phoenix wright, that game needs to be on the iphone. I want to yell OBJECTION! in the middle of a meeting.

This is a good point, but the DS is somewhat limited to certain types of games with its own type of input, as is the PSP. The iPhone offers a new way of input that could make for some very exciting--though nonstandard--games. You're right, I can't see an FPS or a platformer working well on it (although I think one could make an RTS pretty well with the touchscreen input). If game developers can get creative, we'll see some very interesting new games, I think.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I sort of disagree with you. There has always been crappy subpar games on every platform. The copy cats are annoying and that trend may be new. I suppose the copying trend could likely be caused by the sheer number of "gamers" around now because of the casual crowd.

As far back as I can remember, though, there has always been a "bargain bin".

Oh, this is definitely true, but there's a difference.

Before, the copycats would copy the popular games AAA games like Super Mario Bros and the market would be flooded with crappy platformers, or copy games like Halo and flood the market with crappy FPS.

But now a casual game like Brain Age or Nintendogs comes out, and developers realize they can imitate these- i.e. sell games that don't even TRY. Games like Dogz and Mega Brain Boost make tons of cash off of the fact that casuals don't know the industry well enough to realize that they aren't buying the genuine article.

The market for bargain bin is ten times bigger than before because the casuals don't realize what they're buying. So while there has always been a bargain basement, the influx of casuals is making the bargain basement of suck much bigger.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
This is a good point, but the DS is somewhat limited to certain types of games with its own type of input, as is the PSP. The iPhone offers a new way of input that could make for some very exciting--though nonstandard--games. You're right, I can't see an FPS or a platformer working well on it (although I think one could make an RTS pretty well with the touchscreen input). If game developers can get creative, we'll see some very interesting new games, I think.
Truth be told, I can't see any game more complicated than [insert point and drag adventure game] on the iPhone. First of all, your taking precious screen space when you constantly have 2 fingers on the screen.

Second of all, it doesn't have enough buttons. If people can't even make a RTS game work on the Xbox (not enough control/buttons), it will either have to be a dumbed down game or it will suffer just like cell phone games do. I mean, there's only so much you can do. Tap, double tap, drag, pinch, 2 finger tap, tilt, what else? These don't seem to be suited to games where you say, have to move and shoot, jump, or anything that requires your attention in more than 1 way.

Third, EA seems to be by far its largest developer. I don't know if you know the game industry, but EA isn't exactly known for its "innovative" titles or any of the sort. They usually go after the money makers.

These are all things dedicated platforms like the PSP and DS do not suffer from. Honestly, I can't see the iPhone games becoming more than time burners like brick breaker is on the BlackBerry. It may be prettier than most cell phones, but the controls will suffer.

carfreak12321

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Japan
We shouldn't have to wait till june to get the appstore!!

I know this is off topic, but what happened to Apple's usual Tuesday update!!
I miss those and i want/need more updates!:(

WBrasington

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
not quite.

in the US (and most of other places) you don't NEED to file a copyright for an artifact to be copyrighted. it's automatic. you don't even necessarily need to put the © label.
but it helps if you do -possibly a lot- in case of litigations. And to protect form foreign infringements.

the registration basically establishes a public record, and increases the chances of winning an eventual lawsuit (and the claimable damages). in fact, you HAVE to register the copyright, if you have/want to file a lawsuit

in the case of the game, the game IS copyrighted the moment it is done.as such, is protected. the protection is fairly tight when publicly shown.
the "idea" of the game however is not (you'd need a patent for that).
if they didn't register or if they hadn't put the copyright note, and you'd come with the same game in 6 months and file it, in a lawsuit they'd likely still win, but the case would be not a simple as if they did register, not to mention that you would risk much lesser punishment (for example payment for lawyers fees)

that said, i'm sure they did register it, as a minimum to prevent other to profit from the game andpossibly to develop it themselves.

Man, you guys don't know what you're saying.

So copyright works like this.

Anything you make, is copyrighted as soon as you make it.
You don't have to register it, you don't have to mark it, you don't have to do anything.

Going by THAT logic, everything everywhere, ever done by anyone, is copyrighted by them all the time.

Of course, that's really silly.
That would mean lots of actual copyrights infringe on other copyrights. Silly.

Nice try.

I still contend, if you and I both write a poem, both poems are essentially the same, and neither of us register it in any way..... we're going to end up in a fight about who did it first. (within hours, or when we can prove it)
You can do a poor mans, using some service to document your work like the USPS, but that would mean you 're wrong because that would mean you have to actually do something rather than just write it and then it's copyrighted to you automatically, right?

There is a reason there is a copyright office, other than people are too stupid to know they don't need to do it. And it's NOT so you can file a lawwuit.
Anyone can file a lawsuit anytime for any reason.
The best two reasons for registering a copyright, is to warn off some that might sue YOU, and to provide backbone to your ability to sell something. (claiming ownership and value at a date in time and providing value to someone buying it from you)

And no, I know the difference between a patent and a copyright.

Until you lose a copyright challenge, stop talking about things you know not.
Until you get sued by a bonehead, and pull out your registration to chop them off at the legs, sit back and relax.

And take my work for it, Apple puts "Copyright" on everything they do as a corporate policy even for stuff they give away. It means nothing as to their future liklihood of selling it. They also do not bother registering every thing they write or build.

But saying that everything everybody does is copyrighted to them the second they write it, without every having to do anything (I.E. everything that exists is automatically a copyright) is just plain silly......

MacStu

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Copyright info

A couple of snippets of info from the http://www.copyright.gov web site

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.