MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

172501-lunar1_120.jpg
172112-lunarlander_120.jpg

Lunar Lander sample app

BoyGeniusReport posted an extensive gallery of screenshots from the upcoming iPhone 2.0 Firmware (currently labeled version 1.2). The screenshots include a number of configuration screens as well as a few screenshots from a not-yet-functional iTunes App Store. The Lunar Lander game depicted above represents a sample game that Apple provides to developers to demonstrate various iPhone specific features, such as the accelerometers.

After the initial "we'll be in touch" emails, we've received multiple reports that Apple has been accepting more developers into the official development program ($99/year). This provides those developers with early access to the iPhone 2.0 firmware and the ability to install their applications onto the iPhone itself.

Apple will officially launch the iPhone 2.0 alongside the iTunes App Store in late June.

Article Link

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Ooh... I want Pocket Tanks on my iPhone. That would be reeeally addictive.

Comment

JonMan

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
The gaming possibilities are the most interesting to me. I was about to buy a Nintendo DS this week, but I may hold off now.

I'm really just looking for a way to kill some time on the subway. I can't see anything that the DS offers over these upcoming iPhone games....

Comment

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Has anyone managed to get the iPhone 2.0 software before release apart from developers?

the iphone dev team- they say they have cracked it already. I assume Apple has not approved them as Developers yet!

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The gaming possibilities are the most interesting to me. I was about to buy a Nintendo DS this week, but I may hold off now.

I'm really just looking for a way to kill some time on the subway. I can't see anything that the DS offers over these upcoming iPhone games....

Surely you are joking. It's a bit early to make judgements like this, is it not?

You're saying the DS doesn't offer anything over upcoming iPhone games...yet let us look at the announced list of iPhone games, shall we? Oh wait...right.

The most in-depth game we've been shown so far has been a Super Monkey Ball title and a Spore tech demo (which, I should mention, has not actually been officially announced for release).

Compare this to the DS's library of AAA games.

From a technical perspective perhaps the iPhone offers just as much, but from a software perspective the DS is overflowing with quality software and the iPhone just has a few apps in the pipeline- and yet to have any exclusive "killer apps". There are no deep franchises with titles coming out on the iPhone yet- just little casual games like Super Monkey Ball.

While I don't doubt the iPhone has a lot of potential, ranking it in the same category as the DS when only a SINGLE well-known franchise title has even been announced is jumping the gun a little.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Comment

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005

EDIT: I decided to remove what I said because even if unlikely, it could infringe on the NDA and I really don't want to lose out on this dev opportunity.

Comment

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I am wondering the same... how long till the firmware get leaked out by one of the developer. Im pretty sure that Apple is probably attacking certain information to the firmware to identify who leaked it.

Comment

mca7

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
I hope there is a little more to that game then landing space ship on the moon.

Comment

JonMan

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Surely you are joking. It's a bit early to make judgements like this, is it not?

You're saying the DS doesn't offer anything over upcoming iPhone games...yet let us look at the announced list of iPhone games, shall we? Oh wait...right.

The most in-depth game we've been shown so far has been a Super Monkey Ball title and a Spore tech demo (which, I should mention, has not actually been officially announced for release).

Compare this to the DS's library of AAA games.

From a technical perspective perhaps the iPhone offers just as much, but from a software perspective the DS is overflowing with quality software and the iPhone just has a few apps in the pipeline- and yet to have any exclusive "killer apps". There are no deep franchises with titles coming out on the iPhone yet- just little casual games like Super Monkey Ball.

While I don't doubt the iPhone has a lot of potential, ranking it in the same category as the DS when only a SINGLE well-known franchise title has even been announced is jumping the gun a little.

Seems like I struck a nerve. Obviously the DS has a significantly bigger selection of games at the moment. And yes, we don't know how many games will be released for the iPhone, nor we do know anything with respect to the quality of the games that do get released.

That being said, however, I will wait until June and not purchase a DS. I am a casual gamer, and so long as there are a few games that are fun to play and provide some nice eye candy, I'm sold. Why would someone like me go out and purchase an additional device?

Comment

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
These games look cool. I hope the dev team's jailbreak solution allows me to use both authentic and unapproved apps, because I still need to unlock my phone, but spore looks cool.

Comment

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
These games look cool. I hope the dev team's jailbreak solution allows me to use both authentic and unapproved apps, because I still need to unlock my phone, but spore looks cool.

Just curious as to why you wanna jailbreak still. Not that i am surprised, and i can think of reasons myself, but just curious as to your reasons.

Comment

jjm3

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
"Interface" and "Tweaks"

Ooh, what are these new "Interface" and "Tweaks" preference categories? Are they just temporary things like a debugger, or something new that we'll all get to fiddle with come June?

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
...I am a casual gamer, and so long as there are a few games that are fun to play and provide some nice eye candy, I'm sold. Why would someone like me go out and purchase an additional device?

Casual gamers crippled the gaming world.

Comment

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Just curious as to why you wanna jailbreak still. Not that i am surprised, and i can think of reasons myself, but just curious as to your reasons.

I live in Canada, so I'm going to need to unlock it, which requires a jailbreak. There are also some very fun (albeit basic) games around for jailbroken iphons.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.