Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Apple Watch bands do you own? OEM only.

• One band only.

Votes: 424 16.9%
  • 2/4

Votes: 904 36.0%
  • 5/8

Votes: 506 20.1%
  • 9/12

Votes: 171 6.8%
  • 12/15

Votes: 98 3.9%
  • 16/20

Votes: 71 2.8%
  • more than 20

Votes: 212 8.4%
  • more than 50

Votes: 61 2.4%
  • more than 100

Votes: 29 1.2%
  • more than 200

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • more than 250

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • more than 300

Votes: 3 0.1%
  • more than 400

Votes: 1 0.0%
  • more than 500

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • more than 600

Votes: 3 0.1%

• Total voters

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Just my observation, but.....I just picked up my first Apple watch And thought I would look to see what other watch bands were popular. OMG! Some of you have 20, 30 or more bands in various shades of the same thing? Is this just OCD or am I missing something? And the cost! Wow! If they are all genuine Apple bands at $50 ea. Then you have some serious money in little silicone color strips. To each their own, and if this is your hobby/collection, fine. I get it, we all have hobbies. So take it as it is, just an observation .....but ..... am I missing something?

well i collect all the pink hues and rose gold matching bands.

its a hobby (and obsession) of ours. Some we paid $50 for (sometimes more if they are ultra rare bands) or even below standard retail price.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Just my observation, but.....I just picked up my first Apple watch And thought I would look to see what other watch bands were popular. OMG! Some of you have 20, 30 or more bands in various shades of the same thing? Is this just OCD or am I missing something? And the cost! Wow! If they are all genuine Apple bands at $50 ea. Then you have some serious money in little silicone color strips. To each their own, and if this is your hobby/collection, fine. I get it, we all have hobbies. So take it as it is, just an observation .....but ..... am I missing something?
It's, uh, it's way less expensive that collecting cars.

Really, though, you can pick all sorts of fields of collecting (this, baseball cards, action figures, toys, cars, whatever) and find people going to great lengths to get especially prized ones. It's not particular to Apple Watch bands. And it makes us happy. (Also, as mentioned elsewhere, it's generally not all acquired at once, but rather over a considerable period of time). And, compared to, say, baseball cards, we actually wear these, they don't just sit in airtight boxes.

Also, not much silicone in here (that would be the knockoffs). Fluoroelastomer.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA

Not to put you on blast, but it's similar to how you have 2 iPad Pros in your signature, the latest iPhone in a bumped storage capacity, a souped up 5K iMac and last year's retina macbook air. They're things you like and put value on. I'm still using a 2009 Mac Pro at home and an old 11" macbook air. I buy new bands that I like because I get more enjoyment out of the bands than computers. Even at 20 bands, that's still less than a new iPhone Pro.

All that to say, it's just about the things that one enjoys.

ifman

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Not to put you on blast, but it's similar to how you have 2 iPad Pros in your signature, the latest iPhone in a bumped storage capacity, a souped up 5K iMac and last year's retina macbook air. They're things you like and put value on. I'm still using a 2009 Mac Pro at home and an old 11" macbook air. I buy new bands that I like because I get more enjoyment out of the bands than computers. Even at 20 bands, that's still less than a new iPhone Pro.

All that to say, it's just about the things that one enjoys.

Oh, I totally understand the hobby thing. I understand collecting things too. And the point of collecting over time is a good one. I have 8 or so fishing rods (some salt, some fresh) that I’ve bought over the years. So the garage looks like a collection. Ha. No, I’m not criticizing just wondering about a collection of slight variations on a color band. I would have expected collections of some metal bands, some silicone (or whatever), some leather, etc. ....... and I do see those here too. My question/observation was seeing so many of one type and hue.

oh, and FYI....having multiple iPads, computers etc isn’t weird for a family. ?

Reactions: twanj

Bernardinho

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
East Sussex, UK, Europe
I’ve found collecting sports fluroelastamer bands just difficult enough to be interesting and just cheap enough to fit my budget. I only really want about 10 favourite variations for wearing, but learning to differentiate subtle shades is a satisfying progression over time. This forum allows a fair amount of indulgence and mutual encouragement (addiction if you like), and each colour category within the achievable goal of ‘catching them all’, is a mini target. Of course it’s hilarious to put them in a row for photographs, and that amusement is a worthy aim in itself.

ifman

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
I’ve found collecting sports fluroelastamer bands just difficult enough to be interesting and just cheap enough to fit my budget. I only really want about 10 favourite variations for wearing, but learning to differentiate subtle shades is a satisfying progression over time. This forum allows a fair amount of indulgence and mutual encouragement (addiction if you like), and each colour category within the achievable goal of ‘catching them all’, is a mini target. Of course it’s hilarious to put them in a row for photographs, and that amusement is a worthy aim in itself.

Now that’s a great answer! I understand and appreciate that. ??. thanks.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
For me, it's much less the thrill of the hunt, and much more... I like pretty colors.

I've had more expensive collecting habits in the past (didn't so much kick them as just wandered away). This one is relatively benign.

@Bernardinho's answer doesn't fit me precisely, but I find it remarkably insightful, and may apply to many of the folk here.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I’m quite a long way off these, only having orange, apricot and spicy orange, plus flamingo (not a fruit admittedly) so far! I’d love the comparison too; pictures of papaya seem a little nearer Hermès orange than the others.

to me papaya looks more salmon orange that the actual papaya... or maybe it’s more of unripe papaya here haha..

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I had a Peach 42mm arrive today. It’s a more pale and pastel version of Papaya. Not for me.

Anyone looking for a 42mm Peach?
[automerge]1572303051[/automerge]
to me papaya looks more salmon orange that the actual papaya... or maybe it’s more of unripe papaya here haha..
Papaya should have been called Orange Sherbet

Last edited:

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
I had a Peach 42mm arrive today. It’s a more pale and pastel version of Papaya. Not for me.

Anyone looking for a 42mm Peach?
[automerge]1572303051[/automerge]

Papaya should have been called Orange Sherbet

I do! Can you drop me a line in PM?
[automerge]1572303225[/automerge]
Simply beautiful

Attachments

• 78398645-6655-4087-9FF4-6E6B4BCAB688.jpeg
    78398645-6655-4087-9FF4-6E6B4BCAB688.jpeg
    669.3 KB · Views: 155

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I like the look of Apricot. It seems very similar to the Hermès.

It's so difficult to find the hermes orange... (i can't fit the M/L band of Hermes 44mm so i can't get it, and it doesn't come in S/M for the 44mm sigh..)..

Hermes orange seems more bright orange as compared to apple's "red-orange" hues of the spicy orange and orange..

Altaira9

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Look...
at...
THIS!!!
This is dangerous!
[automerge]1572327984[/automerge]
I did try cleaning it and it made no difference. It honestly looks like a finish or coating is wearing off and badly at that.
My next darkest band is Blue Horizon and I’ve cleaned oils from it every so often with no problem, and it has some shiny wear from rubbing together, but nothing like this strange molted look.
Apple wasn’t sure if it’s a defect or not, but they were willing to exchange it.
Well this is looking like a defect to that band. I’ve worn my second Nike Black/Pink Blast about the same amount of time now and it’s got a little shininess and wear where the bands rub together, but nothing like that molted look all over the black. I‘m very happy with it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: twanj

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It's so difficult to find the hermes orange... (i can't fit the M/L band of Hermes 44mm so i can't get it, and it doesn't come in S/M for the 44mm sigh..)..

Hermes orange seems more bright orange as compared to apple's "red-orange" hues of the spicy orange and orange..
If someone made a knockoff S/M they’d make a killing.

Reactions: jaytee86

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
I‘ve been trying to resist, but I can’t any longer. My name is Fen and I’m a bandaholic.

Not the worst by any means - I think 24 at last count, with my wife on 23. Shame we don’t have the same size watch or we could share the collection.
Lol, my wife told me this the other day. She wanted a dressier band but doesn't have one. She owns a 38mm and I a 44mm. I wished I could have shared and let her use one of my 100+ bands.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Lol, my wife told me this the other day. She wanted a dressier band but doesn't have one. She owns a 38mm and I a 44mm. I wished I could have shared and let her use one of my 100+ bands.
Prudent solution would be to show her an arrangement of your dressy bands (minus the leather loops, I suppose, since they're 42/44mm only), let her try them with her watch (they'll fit, just stick out) and with your watch (also look at the 38/40mm bands at Apple), and then whatever she likes best, get her one of those. Even if it means asking around or poking at /r/AppleBandMarket or eBay (chargerstore has a wide selection and good rep here). I mean, she did let you get 100+ bands, it's worth going the extra mile to get her one she likes. Even if she doesn't wear it every day, it'll be there for next time.

Reactions: jaytee86 and Brien

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
Prudent solution would be to show her an arrangement of your dressy bands (minus the leather loops, I suppose, since they're 42/44mm only), let her try them with her watch (they'll fit, just stick out) and with your watch (also look at the 38/40mm bands at Apple), and then whatever she likes best, get her one of those. Even if it means asking around or poking at /r/AppleBandMarket or eBay (chargerstore has a wide selection and good rep here). I mean, she did let you get 100+ bands, it's worth going the extra mile to get her one she likes. Even if she doesn't wear it every day, it'll be there for next time.
I've actually done this, and already ordered the band. Its a great idea! Thanks for the tip, hopefully someone else will be able to use it for their significant other.

Reactions: CarlJ

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Seems like my problem is way deeper/worse than yours. I have more than 100, 10 of them are Hermes, 6 are Olympic Woven Nylon ones... Doctor, is there any hope?! ?

You all band gurus are my inspiration.... i hope luck and fortune gods allow me to reach your level... haha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.