Everybody needs a retina display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blumpkin, Jun 22, 2012.

1. blumpkin macrumors regular

I don't understand this question I've seen floating around - "do you need a retina display?" If you are literate and read things on a computer, you need a retina display.

I went to the Apple store and spent about 10 minutes on it to really get a sense of what I was looking at. When I moved back to their regular screens, it felt like a world of difference. My eyes felt far less strained with the retina, and I'm considering buying one over a 13" Air just for the screen. Hopefully this is da fucha for all computers - not just Apple's.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Thats not the question being asked, the question being asked is if the retnia screen is worth the extra price and the inability to upgrade, and the answer for myself and others is No. I'll keep my upgradeability thx.

3. Blue604 macrumors regular

the difference from old screen to retina screen is much greater than able to get 32gb ram, and extra HD.

the old macbook pro's inability to upgrade to retina screen.

4. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Just upgrade regularly like me and sell the old computer. More enjoyment and not much more expensive :)

5. eba, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

eba macrumors regular

This is exactly the kind of mindless fanboy idiocy that makes it so difficult to get accurate information whenever Apple releases a new product.

Actually, if you are literate and write things in Word or Pages, you may not want a retina display right now. Because the text is heavily pixelated.

The RD is, indeed, awesome for optimized content. For other content, though, it's decidedly a mixed bag.

No way this is a one size fits all proposition at the moment.

6. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

7. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

^This

8. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

+1 Not upgradable, not fixable, no Ethernet port, no deal. I ordered the MBP with high-res screen and antiglare screen.

9. riveting macrumors 6502

Another difference from the screen is that Apple use IPS screen for the retina and all other models are TN pannels. If they have used the IPS screen for other MBP (which I think they should give how expensive they are), the difference would be smaller.

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I bought a 2012 MBA on the day of the keynote. I got a RMBP today and after using it all day, I'm returning the MBA.. it is true, once you go retina it's hard to go back. :p Even my iMac looks bad in comparison.

11. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

So, just because I can read I NEED to buy a retina display? I would rather buy a notebook that is suited better for my needs (and in my price range, as well) than to buy a retina display just for "text"/whatnot. I'm not a photographer nor do I edit very many photos, so I have no "need" for this MacBook Pro. You can't tell people what they need, dude.

12. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

You NEED water. Prove me otherwise.

My point? Sometimes you are not the best judge of what you need.

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I love mine. I have no problems with eyestrain. I can stare at this screen all day long. I guess I don't need retina then huh? I also get the ability to upgrade/replace parts in my laptop.

14. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

But we're not taking about water here, are we? No.

And neither is the OP.

Edit: talking, not taking. Oops.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a 27" iMac and just replaced my 2008 unibody MacBook with a 2012 MBA. The Retina is about the same weight as the old MacBook and though 4.5 lbs isn't bad, the sub 3 lbs of the MBA is noticeable. Added to which I didn't really want the 15" screen. If they had launched a 13" Retina Pro as well in the 3.5-4 lb range it would have been a tougher decision. And even with the EDU discount, I didn't want to spend 2k on the new Retina.

The way I see it, there are several factors that make not early adopting the right thing for many.

1. We really want a 13" and so there is no reason to believe one isn't coming.

2. Very little is optimized for the Retina yet.

3. In a year or two or three the prices will not only come down but the Retina will be across all lines, MBA included.

4. The MBA is the perfect weight and form factor now, and in 2-3 years I can sell it and get a Retina 13" Air or MBP, depending on how the lines go and what Apple release when.

5. I still have my iMac, and so the Air is really for portability.

I can understand professionals, especially in photo and video and people who either make their money using a MBP or people who don't have a desktop needing the 15" screen and wanting the sexy lighter Retina MBP. But my laptop is a complement to my desktop, not an only.

16. CountSessine macrumors regular

Actually, I think the retina display is the very LAST thing you need. Don't get one. Seriously.

When I'm hacking away at something, I've got a thousand different apps open, keeping track of 3 or 4 separate compiles, reading tech docs, listening to music, just generally in the zone, sometimes...sometimes I'll slow down and look a bit more closely at the smooth text on this beautiful, brilliant display. And it's just amazing. There are no pixels.

So no, please don't buy one. Because working with the retina display MBP will completely spoil other computer displays for you. Much like using a Mac mostly ruins using PCs for you.

17. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Do you understand the function of an analogy and illustration?

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Shakespeare didn't need a RMBP. He might have liked it, had you been able through time travel to show him one. He might not have. But either way, he wrote some good stores without it.

So far most people I have read about buying RMBPs seem very interested in how it performs with a game called Diablo 3. Need is a bit of a strong word for that.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I played with the retina. My thoughts are exactly the same I had when playing with the ipad 3. That is.....the screen while nice, is not immediately obvious that it is much higher resolution and for me, not something I could easily discen between the models when trying them out.

Is the screen nice? Sure. However, imo, it is not the jawdropping difference that it is being hyped to be

20. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

Yes, in fact I do.

21. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

And do you still hold to the idea that others can't tell people who aren't themselves what they need?

22. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

This is quite pointless, tbh.

23. Blue604 macrumors regular

Ok. not everybody needs a retina display. It's not like water which you can't live without it.

But only FOOLS choose the non-retina MBP and think they get the benefits of ethernet and optical drive.

24. TheMacBookPro, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Sure.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/74080-people-need-drink-water/

Retina Displays do not make up for half of my weight, nor do I need it to stay hydrated. I will not die if I do not have a Retina Display.

Now prove me otherwise.

Sure. However, nobody should take advice from people who can't even make a decent analogy.

25. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

That wasn't the point of my post.

----------

I don't need to, I never claimed everyone needs a retina display.

You miss my point.