iPhone XS Max Everything about the XS Max is just AMAZING! Best iPhone EVER!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Yep a lot of that usage is when he’s still plugged in lol
But it is a great phone, I’m loving mine and I came from a 7 plus. It’s way better in almost every way
Who cares about the 24 hour cycle? I used my phone for 12 hours, over 9 of which was screen time and 7.5 hrs standby, and I still had 40% battery left. So how many more hours do you think I’d get out of that 40% left? The XS Max is a BEAST!

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Upgraded from iPhone X to iPhone XS Max.The hype is real and can't agree enough with my fellow Max owners. It's everything I wanted the X to be last year, especially coming from a 7 Plus, I felt it was a bit of a letdown how small the X display was. So happy to have a larger keyboard again and more battery life. Anyone concerned about the size, needs to try one out, don't let the 6.5-inch display make you think it's gigantic and unsightly.

Best iPhone I've owned, and I've owned almost all of them. Original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5s, 6, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Yep a lot of that usage is when he’s still plugged in lol
But it is a great phone, I’m loving mine and I came from a 7 plus. It’s way better in almost every way
Also, the time it was used while plugged in was not screen time, I was asleep and using a sleep tracking app. Screen usage started when I unplugged at 4:44pm. I liked the 7 Plus, too, but the 8 Plus really had the killer battery life, and now the XS Max is getting significantly more life than that! BTW, I hope I didn’t come across snappy in my last comment, I am just very, very impressed by this battery life. :)

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Upgraded from iPhone X to iPhone XS Max.The hype is real and can't agree enough with my fellow Max owners. It's everything I wanted the X to be last year, especially coming from a 7 Plus, I felt it was a bit of a letdown how small the X display was. So happy to have a larger keyboard again and more battery life. Anyone concerned about the size, needs to try one out, don't let the 6.5-inch display make you think it's gigantic and unsightly.

Best iPhone I've owned, and I've owned almost all of them. Original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5s, 6, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus.
I totally agree about trying the phone out for anyone who’s scared by the 6.5 screen, the form factor is so comfortable to use! Think of the X last year claiming to be the size of the 8 Plus, when in reality it was basically the size of the regular iPhone. I love how it’s not as wide as the 8 Plus, but it isn’t as stupidly narrow as the X. :) Good stuff!

Reactions: Pipper99

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
AB66A534-B9CC-4CED-AC56-48E675892845.png
Who cares about the 24 hour cycle? I used my phone for 12 hours, over 9 of which was screen time and 7.5 hrs standby, and I still had 40% battery left. So how many more hours do you think I’d get out of that 40% left? The XS Max is a BEAST!
That’s not possible. You can’t get 9 hours screen time from 100-0 on a max I don’t think. You’re saying you got 9h sot and had 40% left. That would mean you would get 14-15 hours of screen on time from a full charge. It’s just impossible for a max to do that. I’m not trying to call you out, I just don’t want someone to read this and think they can get 15 hours sot. In order to do that you would drain 6.7% per hour. I’m pretty sure it’s way more than that unless you’re at 5% brightness and looking at a black wallpaper. I don’t mean to come at you, but you’re misunderstanding what you’re reading or something. The battery screen on time is confusing for sure on this phone. It’s not a straight up screen on time like android has. If you can show me a graph that says you hit 15 hours screen on time over 24 hours I will eat my words and admit I was wrong. It’s cool the battery life is great for you, but a projected 15 hours is unheard of. Either you’re confused or you won the battery lottery lol.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
View attachment 789528
That’s not possible. You can’t get 9 hours screen time from 100-0 on a max I don’t think. You’re saying you got 9h sot and had 40% left. That would mean you would get 14-15 hours of screen on time from a full charge. It’s just impossible for a max to do that. I’m not trying to call you out, I just don’t want someone to read this and think they can get 15 hours sot. In order to do that you would drain 6.7% per hour. I’m pretty sure it’s way more than that unless you’re at 5% brightness and looking at a black wallpaper. I don’t mean to come at you, but you’re misunderstanding what you’re reading or something. The battery screen on time is confusing for sure on this phone. It’s not a straight up screen on time like android has. If you can show me a graph that says you hit 15 hours screen on time over 24 hours I will eat my words and admit I was wrong. It’s cool the battery life is great for you, but a projected 15 hours is unheard of. Either you’re confused or you won the battery lottery lol.
It’s funny how when something unusual or rare happens, people like you feel the need to be label it as “impossible,” or the person is “lying” or “confused.” We all already know everyone’s usage is different, so I’m not proclaiming that EVERYONE is going to get these stats. Did I actually SAY that anywhere in my comments? NO. This is all based on MY experience. However, PLEASE read through some of the other comments, as OP have agreed their battery life is also insanely good. OP said they had 70% left after a full day of use. I will see what the averages end up being over time, as I haven’t had the phone long enough to do those kind of comparatives, but based on what I NEED from a phone on a daily basis, I can only go by my experience and how I have always approached monitoring my battery life. On the iPhone X, I couldn’t even get through a DAY wirhout the battery dying, screen time was between 4-5.5 hrs, a total freaking joke!! I was miserable with that X, spent over 1K for such ****** battery life that actually interfered with my NEEDS from a smartphone. The 8 Plus, on the other hand, had great battery life, and YES, there were times I saw my screen time go between a shocking 12–14 hours, that would be with my battery at 1%, which is beyond obscene. Now with the XS Max, after just a few days, I’m already seeing 9+ hours of screen time with plenty of battery to spare?? You can look at my screenshot of battery usage, even a glance at the green graph, you can see how the draining battery is pretty consistent, meaning there are no sudden drops in battery life like with plenty of other phones - Samsung, Google, and the iPhone X. Healthy debating is important, but just because you’ve never seen numbers like this doesn’t mean they don’t EXIST, or that someone is lying or confused. That’s actually insulting and not the best way to maturely discuss some kick-ass battery life on the best iPhone ever made (and I’m no fanboi, either, I often use Samsung and other phones to mix **** up). I’m just sharing my awesome experience and how happy I am with these results! :)

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
I have an unhealthy obsession with mobile phone battery life. I know more about lithium ion batteries than most people. I’m just telling you that it’s not possible for you, me, president trump or anyone else to get 9 hours of screen on time and have 40% left. The graph is confusing. If it showed “since last full charge” like iOS 11, then it would be black and white. As it is now, it shows “last 24 hours”. I’m sorry you feel insulted, because I honestly mean no harm. What you’re saying is akin to someone saying they got 50 miles per gallon in a car rated for 30. On my 8 plus I get about 1 hour of usage per 10%. That is usage, not even screen on time. I had a max for the weekend and it was marginally better. Honestly I hope you can prove me wrong, but it would be the most shocking thing I have EVER seen from any smart phone if the max could really get that kind of battery life. The link above said it was good for 10.5 hours from 100-0 on their testing. Not sure how your phone would get an extra 4-5 hours over that, considering real world usage is much harder on a battery than a controlled test with perfect service.

TLDR: I didn’t mean any harm, but I just do not see how 9h of sot with 40% left is possible on any phone, let alone one with a 6.5” screen and a 3100mah battery. Apple battery life has always been good but not great, but it’s standby is industry leading.

scotsmandc

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I have an unhealthy obsession with mobile phone battery life. I know more about lithium ion batteries than most people. I’m just telling you that it’s not possible for you, me, president trump or anyone else to get 9 hours of screen on time and have 40% left. The graph is confusing. If it showed “since last full charge” like iOS 11, then it would be black and white. As it is now, it shows “last 24 hours”. I’m sorry you feel insulted, because I honestly mean no harm. What you’re saying is akin to someone saying they got 50 miles per gallon in a car rated for 30. On my 8 plus I get about 1 hour of usage per 10%. That is usage, not even screen on time. I had a max for the weekend and it was marginally better. Honestly I hope you can prove me wrong, but it would be the most shocking thing I have EVER seen from any smart phone if the max could really get that kind of battery life. The link above said it was good for 10.5 hours from 100-0 on their testing. Not sure how your phone would get an extra 4-5 hours over that, considering real world usage is much harder on a battery than a controlled test with perfect service.

TLDR: I didn’t mean any harm, but I just do not see how 9h of sot with 40% left is possible on any phone, let alone one with a 6.5” screen and a 3100mah battery. Apple battery life has always been good but not great, but it’s standby is industry leading.
Totally agree with you. Hopefully the analogies you tried to convey makes him understand that's physically impossible to reach the stats he's claiming. This is how apple gets away with it. They have all the average consumers thinking they're getting great battery when in reality most don't actually understand what their reading on that battery screen. They see a high screen on time number and boom placebo.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014

Totally agree with you. Hopefully the analogies you tried to convey makes him understand that's physically impossible to reach the stats he's claiming. This is how apple gets away with it. They have all the average consumers thinking they're getting great battery when in reality most don't actually understand what their reading on that battery screen. They see a high screen on time number and boom placebo.
I agree. However, let’s be assured of one thing that is absolute truth: OP is seeing much better battery life on their Max over 8 Plus, which does indeed mean the battery life is better. That is good.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
I agree. However, let’s be assured of one thing that is absolute truth: OP is seeing much better battery life on their Max over 8 Plus, which does indeed mean the battery life is better. That is good.
I had one and used it heavily for a weekend, before returning it due to pwm inducing headaches. It was probably a bit better than my 8 plus, but not a world beater like this guy is claiming his is. It’s not his fault. The battery graph is an absolute joke and you have to add it up by hand. What is wrong with “screen time since last full charge”? My guess is they don’t want people to Know the truth.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I had one and used it heavily for a weekend, before returning it due to pwm inducing headaches. It was probably a bit better than my 8 plus, but not a world beater like this guy is claiming his is. It’s not his fault. The battery graph is an absolute joke and you have to add it up by hand. What is wrong with “screen time since last full charge”? My guess is they don’t want people to Know the truth.
Yeah I don’t bother even looking at my battery usage anymore since iOS 12 because it got confusing. I just charge when needed but usually I get home from work with plenty of battery left, around 50%. Sometimes <20%. Heavily depends on usage.

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
9 hours of sot with 40% left? c'mon now. you might as well left it charging longer so you could claim 9 hours of sot with 100% left....

why doesn't apple show usage from unplugged to plugged? 24 hours doesn't really give much info.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
It’s funny how when something unusual or rare happens, people like you feel the need to be label it as “impossible,” or the person is “lying” or “confused.” We all already know everyone’s usage is different, so I’m not proclaiming that EVERYONE is going to get these stats. Did I actually SAY that anywhere in my comments? NO. This is all based on MY experience. However, PLEASE read through some of the other comments, as OP have agreed their battery life is also insanely good. OP said they had 70% left after a full day of use. I will see what the averages end up being over time, as I haven’t had the phone long enough to do those kind of comparatives, but based on what I NEED from a phone on a daily basis, I can only go by my experience and how I have always approached monitoring my battery life. On the iPhone X, I couldn’t even get through a DAY wirhout the battery dying, screen time was between 4-5.5 hrs, a total freaking joke!! I was miserable with that X, spent over 1K for such ****** battery life that actually interfered with my NEEDS from a smartphone. The 8 Plus, on the other hand, had great battery life, and YES, there were times I saw my screen time go between a shocking 12–14 hours, that would be with my battery at 1%, which is beyond obscene. Now with the XS Max, after just a few days, I’m already seeing 9+ hours of screen time with plenty of battery to spare?? You can look at my screenshot of battery usage, even a glance at the green graph, you can see how the draining battery is pretty consistent, meaning there are no sudden drops in battery life like with plenty of other phones - Samsung, Google, and the iPhone X. Healthy debating is important, but just because you’ve never seen numbers like this doesn’t mean they don’t EXIST, or that someone is lying or confused. That’s actually insulting and not the best way to maturely discuss some kick-ass battery life on the best iPhone ever made (and I’m no fanboi, either, I often use Samsung and other phones to mix **** up). I’m just sharing my awesome experience and how happy I am with these results! :)
The guy you’re replying to is trying to help you understand what you’re looking at. I don’t think you should take that personally.

The 9 hours of screen on time is over a 24 hour period, not over the 12 hours since your last charge. Your screen shot shows 9 hours of screen on time and 7 hours of screen off time. That’s 16 hours of activity. You can’t have 16 hours of activity in a 12 hour period.

Again, I think he’s just trying to help you understand the odd way that Apple is choosing to present this information. No one is invalidating your claim of excellent battery life. My Max has INCREDIBLE battery life so I know you’re telling the truth about that. The problem is that the battery info is very misleading. That’s not your fault, that’s on Apple.

Last edited:

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
i have a max and love it as well, but the battery is not something spectacular, it goes down just as quick as any Apple phone i've used in the past. Any improvement is negligible at best.

nalbagli

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I agree with most of this post, I love my XS Max even when I've only used it for a day. The only think that I don't like but could be fixed, is the fact that there are almost no optimized apps for the new size. Most are just a zoomed in versions of the others so you can't actually see more information, which for me defeats the purpose of having a Max phone. I do understand it may take time for common developers, but seeing some Apple apps do that and also mainstream apps not being updated is pretty frustrating.

Reactions: JAZJB

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
I’m wondering just how much better Face ID can get as ios12 already made big improvements to Face ID. It now works when I’m lying down in bed!
It’s so much better than the X. I don’t even notice it’s working most of the time

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
I agree with most of this post, I love my XS Max even when I've only used it for a day. The only think that I don't like but could be fixed, is the fact that there are almost no optimized apps for the new size. Most are just a zoomed in versions of the others so you can't actually see more information, which for me defeats the purpose of having a Max phone. I do understand it may take time for common developers, but seeing some Apple apps do that and also mainstream apps not being updated is pretty frustrating.
i remembered when the first ip6 plus came out, it took 3 mths for apps like facebook, whatsapp to be optimized for the phone

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

I've had every iPhone except the original: I was doubtful that I'd want a device where I had to touch the screen and have smeary fingerprints everywhere. When I saw it in the wild, I was sold, but I waited for 3G.

I love my Max. As you said, it's everything that I wanted the X to be. I compared my Max screen to my X last night with the same settings, and I was a bit shocked at how much better the Max screen looked: brighter, more vibrant, and better looking color to my eye. Also, my X now seems tiny. I love the big screen, and I love the size of the device in hand. I never got much one handed use with my X anyway, and I've preferred the big phones since the 6 Plus (I was going to switch to a Galaxy Note if Apple hadn't introduced the 6 Plus).

Battery life is about the same for me as on my X, and I'm just going by how long it lasts from when I unplug it in the morning to when I plug it back in the afternoon.

I'm not noticing a significant speed or responsiveness improvement in day to day usage over the X, but I didn't expect to, either.

FaceID is as reliable and as quick as before, but not noticeably better for me.

LTE connectivity: I've shown improved LTE and wifi speeds (nothing radical, though) in every location that I've tested, but Field Test mode shows that I have poor connectivity everywhere (rsrp0 around -115); however, I haven't dropped calls or moved out of LTE to 3G, and call quality has been good every time.

Camera: Pics and videos look good, but I haven't seen the superior quality or better low light performance that others have mentioned; however, I chalk that up to my lack of knowledge and discernment. I need to take pics on the X and Max and compare. Some photographers on the forum have noted that their first unit was a dud, and the replacement was stellar in this regard. I'll keep the device for the full 14 days and exchange it if need be.

All in all, though, they had me at "big screen". :)

dazz87

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2007
8 hours of screen time at 51% is extremely hard to believe. I’m not calling you a liar, but you’re either reading it wrong or something is up.
Some here dont even know what SOT means.......8 hours of SOT wth 51% left.............:confused:

-M4-

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
The guy you’re replying to is trying to help you understand what you’re looking at. I don’t think you should take that personally.

The 9 hours of screen on time is over a 24 hour period, not over the 12 hours since your last charge. Your screen shot shows 9 hours of screen on time and 7 hours of screen off time. That’s 16 hours of activity. You can’t have 16 hours of activity in a 12 hour period.

Again, I think he’s just trying to help you understand the odd way that Apple is choosing to present this information. No one is invalidating your claim of excellent battery life. My Max has INCREDIBLE battery life so I know you’re telling the truth about that. The problem is that the battery info is very misleading. That’s not your fault, that’s on Apple.
When manually counting the bars from when he took it out of the charger, it seems to add up to ~7h of SOT. That's still impressive, imo.

Reactions: BeeGood

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Glad you guys are loving your phones and didn’t get ones with the connectivity issues. My X was returned when a restore didn’t fix the problem. I loved everything about the Max, except it didn’t work well as a phone. I’ll buy another when they get this issue sorted out and fixed.
Same thing happened to me was it an iTunes encrypted restore

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
After owning every single iPhone model made (except the 5c, that was just a joke), the XS Max is the BEST iPHONE I HAVE EVER HAD! It’s one of those products that has the things you want from different devices all rolled into one! I can’t remember ever being so satisfied, so HAPPY with a phone! Is anyone else feeling like this!?

1. BATTERY LIFE: Beats the 8 Plus, which is saying something! I currently have almost 8 hours of screen time and 7.5 hrs standby, and my battery is at 51%! What!! I cannot kill this battery!

2. CAMERA: as good as the Pixel 2 XL! How!? I can finally take low-light pictures that look GREAT, and daytime shots are as good as my pro camera Sony A7RIII. How?

3. SCREEN: Even better than the iPhone X for color calibration. Unless you have a defective phone, the color saturation IMO is better than any other iPhone made, and even beats the Note 9 (also saying something bc Samsung finally got it right this year!)

4. SIZE: Slightly smaller than the 8 Plus but it’s all screen, yet it doesn’t FEEL big because I can still use it one-handed, which literally makes it the PERFECT size phone for me!

5. SPEED: I’m speechless on this one. Aside from a few weird freezes I’ve had, I don’t know how to describe how fast the XS Max is... It so precisely matches everything I do, that I don’t even think about how fast everything is happening. My phone no longer gets in my way.... Does that make sense?

Damn, I am so happy!!

Feel the same way.
Apple hit this one out of the park.

The iPhone Xs max is a beast.

SisterBlue22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Not sire I'm QUITE as enthusiastic as you, LOL, but I do love this phone. I had the Plus size 6 and 7, and although I really loved my X, I did find myself wishing for the bigger screen and form factor. My XS Max is pretty awesome and definitely checks all the boxes for me. Face ID is just as flawless on this phone as it was on my X, so the whole experience is smooth.