iPhone XS Max Everything about the XS Max is just AMAZING! Best iPhone EVER!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JAZJB, Sep 27, 2018.

1. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

I remember that happened a lot with the iPhone 5, it was the first iPhone to have the taller screen, and it took months and months for apps to catch up. It was kind of like watching old TV shows on a flatscreen with the big black bars on the sides, only on the iPhone they were on the top and bottom. I haven’t come across any apps yet that haven’t been updated, care to share which ones you’re having probs with?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    Thank you, that’s all I’m trying to say here! :)
    And that was still with almost half battery left. That’s the crazy part to me.

2. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Sweet, Mine doesn’t and I have never had bad reception. It’s not really bad but it is dropping here and there. So hopefully they can find a fix soon.. #ActuallyNotFakeNews

3. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

I don’t consider 10% loss per hour incredible battery life - that’s GOOD battery life. My phone has been off the charger for 3 hours and I’m at 84%.
    That sounds like my old X! Are you doing heavy gaming or anything?
    You might have a faulty app causing the drain. Have you tried a simple soft reboot? That has worked for me in the past after updating iOS which can sometimes cause battery drain.
    Has anyone else on this thread who is giving me crap seen this?? Or maybe they don’t think your confused or lying, bahaha!! Was that total screen on time until the battery died?
    I just saw that!! I’m gonna try and kill the battery before recharging and see what I get. Sorry about my combined replies, they’re are all coming out in one long comment instead of to each person separately, idk how to fix it! :(

4. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

It matches your result, had you kept using it you would have gotten similar results.

I had a long day yesterday and at an event for most of the night.

5. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

It’s so rare to actually get more than what we expected. I didn’t think I would be this happy and satisfied with the XS Max! :)

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I don’t know who said you were lying but it wasn’t me. In fact, I’ve said the opposite.

I do think you have unintentionally misstated the battery data on your phone. That’s not meant to be offensive and I hope you don’t take it that way. The 16 hours of usage that you’re referring to started at 4PM on Tuesday. Some of that usage began before you began charging your phone. You can add up the individual bars on the screen and prove it for yourself.

You’ve said a couple of times that you got 9 hours of screen on time and 7 hours of screen off time in a 12 hour period. Again, that’s not possible. I think what people are doing is trying to help you understand what your phone is saying.

7. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I don’t game, might be some App I’m not sure, I guess I’ll uninstall every App besides Apple’s to check.

8. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

You seem to know the most on this thread about screen-on/off/Apple sucky graphs, so what do you make of FFR’s usage?

A798B6F8-FA5E-4D21-BC87-CD15146E986A.png

9. blwade macrumors 6502a

He's got roughly 10 hours of usage there after removing from the charger... each blue is an hour when maxed out. Looking at the chart above, you can tell when he removed the phone from the charger. Count the blue lines past that point on the graph below. About 10 hours usage. 9 hours were accumulated BEFORE he put it on the charger.

10. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

I showed you the battery graph, I believe some of those 16 hours were when my phone was still charging and a sleep app was running in the background. Is this also impossible, then? A screenshot from FFR’s battery usage, I’m having trouble getting my comments to reply to each person, so I took a screenshot of his screenshot

F09807C9-FC46-408D-8553-07E7BCB51CC2.png

11. BeeGood, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Notice how the phone was on the charger for like 8 hours. Also notice that he is using the phone while it is plugged in between 12AM and 3AM.

Before that, he ran it down from about 60% to zero. Charged it up to 100%, then ran it back down to zero again. That’s 160% of battery life used over the 24 hour period. He got 19 hours of SOT with 160% battery but...over two of those hours were spent on the charger. So it’s really 17 hours with 160% of the battery...which works out to 10% per hour. Which is what everyone has been trying to tell you.

EDIT: I just saw your post above. Yes, he was able to rack up usage hours while his phone was charging and not using the battery.

12. blwade macrumors 6502a

[​IMG] screen usage.png

Black box represents time since he pulled it off the charger as that's when we see the battery start to drop. He has roughly 9.5 hours of on screen time (dark blue bars)

13. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

But the last half hour usage it was on the charger.

The main thing shown by that screenshot is he never puts his phone down for like 9 hours straight. How is that even possible?

14. blwade macrumors 6502a

You are right - guess I missed that the first time.. so, roughly 9 hours. ;)

15. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

You could also look at the background activity of each app before you go through all that work. Also, check how many apps have Background App Refresh turned on. That can eat through battery like crazy. I have it turned off for everything except Maps, mail, and weather.

16. nalbagli macrumors 6502

17. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

How do you know the phone was being used on the charger? Where in the graph is that?

18. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Told you guys yesterday was a long day .
    Attending an event phone never get switched off.

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I also have Background App Refresh turned off for everything, in the battery stats it doesn't seem to be any background activity from Apps.

20. blwade macrumors 6502a

The timeline for the battery and activity line up and show a 24 hour period.. the blue activity bars tell you how much screen time on (dark blue) and screen off time (light blue) your phone has been active. Each activity bar is an hour.

If you look at the battery graph, charging times are represented by this light green shaded background on the chart. When the bar is full, the battery is 100%.

The time on is for the ENTIRE 24 hour period.
    to add to my comment - if you used your phone for a solid 24 hours while it was plugged in charging, your screen on time would show 24 hours...
    screen usage2.png

I've highlighted with the black box each charging time on this screen shot.

21. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

Ok, so I’m gonna do a new test to let the battery die completely and then see what my results are. That is, if I can rely on the Apple stats, which you keep saying aren’t accurate, but you still keep analyzing anyway. Bahaha! :)

Please understand.... My main point is NOT what I expect to get out of a 24 hr period. It’s not that I am trying to “predict” and “promote” 20 hours of screen time in one battery charge. It’s YOU guys who keep taking my comments to that level, when all I’m talking about is what I get out of my usage in a normal day, and how much battery I have left over. Even if my phone were to die after 9.5 hrs screen time, I would be happy. Instead, I’m left with another 38% battery life! How is that not dope? My X would die every damn night, my 8 Plus would go <20% but that was still good bc I had reserve, now my XS Max got 10.5 screen on time with 29% battery left since I next charged it this morning. Idk why you think there’s nothing amazing about that, but it is actually INSANE battery life compared to my 2 former iPhones, and a number of OP on here agree with me.

22. Whathappened macrumors member

The newest and most expensive iphone is the best ever? Really? Do tell!

23. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

You had roughly 7 hours screen-on time after you took it off the charger on your screenshot on post #11. Not 9 hours.

24. Whathappened macrumors member

Yeah after a full day of not using it much. Else congrats for exceeding even Apple’s own claims!

25. BeeGood, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Look at where the green chart starts to go up. Now look at the one below it. The one with the blue bars.

Notice how he has blue bars underneath where the battery graph starts to go up again. That indicates that he is charging and using the phone concurrently.