iPhone XS Max Everything about the XS Max is just AMAZING! Best iPhone EVER!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JAZJB, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Except for the shotty cell coverage and antenna problems. A little too over priced but.....

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Oh absolutely. He went from 100% to 38% and got about 7 hours of SOT. That’s about what I get and it’s definitely impressive. It’s about 10% of battery for every one hour of usage.

I just don’t want the OP thinking that he/she is going to be able to use his/her phone constantly for two days straight without ever having to recharge. That seems to be the way the OP is interpreting the battery stats.

I think a better presentation is in the Last Ten Days view. I posted mine below. You can see in Tuesday (for example), I had over 9 hours of SOT, over 2 hours of screen off usage and I consumed what looks like just short of 90% of the battery. If the OP looks at that, I think the numbers will look more like what’s below. Again, still impressive but it’s not at all what he’s saying it is.

00CA024A-F91F-4F1B-B540-EAA50FDC0151.jpeg

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I only got 4 hours and 7 minutes of SOT from 100% to 16%, how the heck you're getting 9 hours from an iPhone with a 3.300 mAH battery?

4. Quake1028 macrumors member

Quake1028

I agree 1000000%. My favorite piece of tech, probably ever, and definitely my favorite cell phone ever. It's all my dreams for an iPhone finally realized.

5. mib1800 Suspended

Turn the brightness all the way down :)

6. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I do not use very high brightness, I have auto brightness enabled but still dim it a little bit, I do enable true tone does that drain the battery?

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Are you looking at the Screen Time widget? If so, that thing doesn’t appear to be correct to me. It’s either understating SOT or it’s measuring SOT in some way I don’t understand.

My hunch is that you’re definitely getting more SOT than that, unless you’re hardcore gaming all day long. If not, then Apple needs to replace your phone.

8. FFR, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Not really.
    Spent that Friday, restoring and erasing my iPhone X’s max so many times i figured it out.

Did your iPhone X’s lock up with a white background and black apple logo, after the restore in progress screen?

Don’t pay him any mind, he doesn’t have an iPhone and he is just being sarcastic.

No True Tone doesn’t really drain battery, go to settings, battery and have look.

9. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I don't game, I have bluetooth and wifi on all day and use social media, youtube and safari. I think the screen on time is correct since I counted the minutes and they matched exactly. 4 hours and 7 minutes with my screen on, 1 hour and something with the screen off (background music playing).

10. doboy macrumors 68020

As long as you're happy with it. Me, not so much, but that's my problem :)

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Hmmm. Then something is definitely wrong. Apple quotes like 12 hours of web surfing on their site. You might not get exactly that but you definitely should be getting way more SOT than 4 hours. Based on what I’ve read and my own observations, you probably should be getting somewhere between 9-12 hours of SOT depending on what you’re doing and what your signal strength is.

12. FFR, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Hey OP,

Think I have you beat :

CFACA33D-B202-4A63-B96A-82110B650E07.jpeg

13. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

My cell strength is between 2 and 3 bars with occasionally drops to 1 bar, the battery is very inconsistent in stand by I lose about 3% in stand by in 30 minutes, sometimes in 1 hour I only lose 1%, with all Apps closed in background, it's crazy. I got everything disabled such as iCloud, Background App Refresh and Notifications for Apps that I don't need and the battery still feels exactly like my X.

14. -M4- macrumors member

-M4-

Ok, I see what you mean! He does seem a bit too optimistic about his battery.

That 10-day view seems to be more reliable, provided you don't charge more than once per 24h, if I'm understanding it correctly.

I wonder how the XS is doing compared to the great battery you guys are showing! It's too bad so few people are talking about that one. I'm looking for a better battery than what I have (a S7 at 76% battery capacity), and I'm pondering the XS vs XR. So long as it lasts comfortably until I go to bed, it's good enough (mine doesn't, at all).

15. mib1800 Suspended

Not really. If you look at displaymate test, the screen is using average 2.2 watts at 50% brightness level. Based on xsmax battery size, that works out 7.3 hrs SOT if the battery is just powering the screen only.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think (and this is just my hypothesis) that the usage under the 10-day is cumulative discharge. I’m almost certain that I charged the phone intermittently throughout the day and never drained that much battery between charges. I’ll know for certain today because I’m topping off right now.

If if it cumulative, that’s actually pretty cool and very useful info.

17. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Well not everything. At the very least, there’s still the screen stutter after 10 seconds of inactivity (aka reading), and the phone getting hot during HDR videos.

18. JAZJB thread starter macrumors regular

JAZJB

That’s cool, I get that there’s more to what you’re saying that negates my real-life usage probabilities. As I said, I can only go by what I see and am experiencing, then compare that to my past experience with usage and average screen times. I think bench tests in general are flawed; what happens in a semi-controlled environment has a number of variables that cannot be accounted for, and many phones are notoriously known for performing better “on paper” than in real life. All I know is, I took my phone off the charger at 4:44pm, and over the next 12 hours, I used my phone with the screen on for almost 9.5 hrs, and my battery was at 38%. The screenshot I took was earlier when I still had 51% battery life. I’m not sure why you feel this is so impossible; it doesn’t mean I’m going to get another 8 hours from 51%. BUT, with the 8 Plus, I had absolutely gotten double-digit screen time before needing to charge, and that happened a LOT. It was the NORM, not an anomaly. The X, unfortunately, was abysmal and inefficient screen-time life at 4-5.5 hrs, but my XS Max is already beating my 8 Plus! How else can I explain it? The phone is in my hands for over 9 hours, and my battery isn’t dead yet..... it’s not even close to being dead, and I had my screen on for the bulk of those 9 hours..... are you saying this is so impossible that maybe my battery % is wrong? That my phone is defective? Even though I had similar experiences with the 8 Plus? Even though OP have also claimed they get home and still have up to 70% battery left? That people can go over 2 days before the battery dies? I think you think I’m trying to say I’m going to get almost 18 hours of screen-on battery life; not at all. Battery always drains faster below 30%. But my X couldn’t even get 9 hours on a FULL battery, so idk man, read all this as you will, I’m just stoked that I can’t kill my battery for 2 days!!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    It’s not about what I’m reading on the Apple screen, it’s about how long my damn phone is in my hands before I can kill the battery! When I had my 8 Plus, there were times I’d look at my phone and think, “Why won’t you die yet??” THAT is when you know you have killer battery life!! And now, in the few days that I’ve had my XS Max, I’m getting even BETTER results than with my 8 Plus! So stop with what I’m claiming and what is impossible, the Apple stats can’t be THAT far off that I’m hallucinating how long my phone is lasting before it hits 50%. It’s in my hands and I’m USING IT! Unlike you, I’m not taking a screenshot of Apple’s benchmarks and making claims that based on the graphs, I must be able to get 9.5 hrs of screen time at 38% battery life, it is what I am actually EXPERIENCING. My X would die every damn day before night time, and I had to start topping off the battery just to get through the evening. I guess the X having the suckiest battery life out there is also a false “claim” and “impossible..” Idk what your point is! I’m getting AMAZING battery life! Thanks for not being happy for me!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    I appreciate you backing up the OP on what they’re trying to explain, and I’m only getting touchy because I’m being called “confused” and probably “lying,” to which I take offense. If your XS Max has INCREDIBLE battery life, what does that mean to you? To me, it means a phone that can’t be killed after less than a day, and one that doesn’t die completely for 2 days. The 16 hr total in my SS is likely because my phone was already 100% charged several hours before I actually took it off the charger.... so that’s how THAT is possible... If everyone ageees the Max has incredible battery life, then where is the delineation that makes everyone ELSE right, but I’m “confused” and/or “lying?”

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I am happy with it for the same reasons you are. I think it's a little too big for my liking, but I will use it for a year. Face ID is much much faster and the screen and battery life have been improved also, I am good.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

So I’ve realised that the max is actually bigger than the plus models. Not the body size but the screen size.

21. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Your battery life seems to match mine.
    I posted a pic a couple of posts up but mine was at 5% battery life remaining.

22. MecPro macrumors 6502

Yeah it’s my ultimate iPhone

Love the screen size.
    Love the body is a little narrow which helps one and two handed use
    Screen is glorious

Just overall what I wanted.

23. Orangeman13 macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

funny......my max gets better reception where my 7 plus didn't get any reception

#fakenews

24. Mad4clay macrumors 6502

I returned my XS gold on Monday and today I'm picking up a Sliver Max at 3-3:30. This will be the first bigger iphone for me. I hope I like it. I didn't care for the gold at all.

25. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Hope you ordered a luggage rack for the new phone. It is big.