iPhone XS Max Everything about the XS Max is just AMAZING! Best iPhone EVER!

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
The note 9 is a great phone and the max is an even better one (for a lot of us) They both have things the other is lacking.

Phone Junky

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Sunshine State
If my battery lasts for 8 hrs with 50% left for the night, then YES, that is damn good battery life. People don’t imagine amazing battery life when they’re actually EXPERIENCING it. :)
That's a big 'if'. Your screenshot clearly shows you got around 7 hours of screen on time. By your own statement it was 38% battery left so a 12% discrepancy there which would be a little over an hour usage. So by fudging the usage up an hour and battery left up more than 10%, it makes your battery usage sound way better than it actually was.

Reactions: BeeGood

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks for all the analysis on the battery screenshot, 9 hours seems about right, I guess. Defiantly getting more than the iPhone X

Don’t pay mib1800 too much attention, he is just sore he got a note 9 instead an iPhone max
Bahaha, thanks!! Things got so out of control, I was kinda bummed out. :( Anyway, I also find it interesting that a people are saying they’re averaging 8-9 hrs across the board, even though everyone has different phone habits and usage! I take that to mean the XS Max battery is not compromising performance based on specific activities! Usually, this is the biggest discrepancy which is why people cannot agree on a real average. I feel like that’s finally happening with the Max! Good stuff!

kingston73

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
I've been using mine for less than a day, just got it yesterday afternoon but so far it's been great. I'm coming from a 7+ so it's still an adjustment not having a home button.

My one question so far is this: what's the little hole on the right side of the camera for? Not bothered by it but when I first noticed it I was afraid I'd already somehow damaged my brand new phone. I had to look up pictures on google to reassure myself that it was supposed to be there.

Reactions: JAZJB

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Glad you love your device!

The regular XS pricing is super weird because if you’re happy with 64GB (which I contend that most will be) who wouldn’t be tempted to spend $100 more on a superior phone?

So it does feel that Apple are killing the regular XS simply due to pricing.

The more I think about, 2018 is a weird year for the iPhone.
I think the X was the monkey wrench in Apple, bc the Max should have been released with the original X LAST year. But the X was a “guinea pig” type thing, which is why it’s been discontinued. The XS had to be its replacement bc can’t just have a Max this year. Then who knows what will happen when the xR comes out!! IMO, the XS Max and the XR will be the main phones, and the XS is the filler for the now defunct X. Def’n weird iPhone year!
[doublepost=1538137550][/doublepost]
It’s awesome how many people are loving the max.

Anyone buy the regular Xs over the Max? And why?

Just curious, I’ve no skin the game!
I’ve always been a Plus user, so the XS was not even an option for me. In terms of size and performance, the X experiment was painful enough! I think people who want the regular iPhone will get the XS bc of its size; some people just have issues with the bigger screen.
[doublepost=1538138138][/doublepost]
That's a big 'if'. Your screenshot clearly shows you got around 7 hours of screen on time. By your own statement it was 38% battery left so a 12% discrepancy there which would be a little over an hour usage. So by fudging the usage up an hour and battery left up more than 10%, it makes your battery usage sound way better than it actually was.
What is the deal with your animosity while being totally misinformed at the same time? Where am I fudging numbers in this example? I specifically said 50% battery based on an 8-hour day, not based on my specific stats over the 12 hour period seen in my SS. At that point I had 38% battery, but at the 8 hr mark, I had 50%. Maybe you should read the posts more carefully before hurling your baseless and antagonizing attacks. Are you a troll? Just chill, it’s Friday, for God’s sake!! Sheesh.
[doublepost=1538138235][/doublepost]
I've been using mine for less than a day, just got it yesterday afternoon but so far it's been great. I'm coming from a 7+ so it's still an adjustment not having a home button.

My one question so far is this: what's the little hole on the right side of the camera for? Not bothered by it but when I first noticed it I was afraid I'd already somehow damaged my brand new phone. I had to look up pictures on google to reassure myself that it was supposed to be there.
I noticed that, too! I have no clue what it’s for, tho!

scotsmandc

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I think the X was the monkey wrench in Apple, bc the Max should have been released with the original X LAST year. But the X was a “guinea pig” type thing, which is why it’s been discontinued. The XS had to be its replacement bc can’t just have a Max this year. Then who knows what will happen when the xR comes out!! IMO, the XS Max and the XR will be the main phones, and the XS is the filler for the now defunct X. Def’n weird iPhone year!
[doublepost=1538137550][/doublepost]

I’ve always been a Plus user, so the XS was not even an option for me. In terms of size and performance, the X experiment was painful enough! I think people who want the regular iPhone will get the XS bc of its size; some people just have issues with the bigger screen.
[doublepost=1538138138][/doublepost]

What is the deal with your animosity while being totally misinformed at the same time? Where am I fudging numbers in this example? I specifically said 50% battery based on an 8-hour day, not based on my specific stats over the 12 hour period seen in my SS. At that point I had 38% battery, but at the 8 hr mark, I had 50%. Maybe you should read the posts more carefully before hurling your baseless and antagonizing attacks. Are you a troll? Just chill, it’s Friday, for God’s sake!! Sheesh.
[doublepost=1538138235][/doublepost]

I noticed that, too! I have no clue what it’s for, tho!
Microphone?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
It's a microphone for noise cancellation.

Reactions: kingston73

Phone Junky

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Sunshine State
I guess maybe because having '50% battery based on a 8-hour day' is ambiguous. Sitting on standby and doing a few texts, calls and listening to some music will likely get those results. If you spend those 8 hours on the phone constantly on the internet among other things, like the poster earlier in this thread, good luck with having 20% left.

Alhagar

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
I returned my XS gold on Monday and today I'm picking up a Sliver Max at 3-3:30. This will be the first bigger iphone for me. I hope I like it. I didn't care for the gold at all.
Keep us posted. On a whim I swapped out my XS for a XSM on Wednesday. I'm still not sure that the phone is not too big, but I am enjoying the extra screen space and am using my iPad much less (at least for now). I bike a lot and thought it would be too big in the pocket but that really hasn't been the case. I'm still on the fence though...
[doublepost=1538146761][/doublepost]
It’s awesome how many people are loving the max.

Anyone buy the regular Xs over the Max? And why?

Just curious, I’ve no skin the game!
See my post #135

Reactions: Mad4clay

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
Hope you ordered a luggage rack for the new phone. It is big.
I have it in hand now and I think I'm ok with it. I have a pretty case on it now and a screen protector. So we will see. Luggage rack indeed! LOL!
[doublepost=1538152453][/doublepost]
Keep us posted. On a whim I swapped out my XS for a XSM on Wednesday. I'm still not sure that the phone is not too big, but I am enjoying the extra screen space and am using my iPad much less (at least for now). I bike a lot and thought it would be too big in the pocket but that really hasn't been the case. I'm still on the fence though...
[doublepost=1538146761][/doublepost]
See my post #135
I'm adjusting to the size, but I think I'll be ok with it.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Nevermind
[doublepost=1538153429][/doublepost]
View attachment 789508 The line I drew is when you unplugged your phone. The only way to get screen on usage since then is to click on each bar to the right and add up the screen on time from each one.
Mind doesn't work correctly. My screen on time is correct, but my screen off time does not.
[doublepost=1538153664][/doublepost]
You seem to know the most on this thread about screen-on/off/Apple sucky graphs, so what do you make of FFR’s usage?

View attachment 789722
How does it make sense that the screen off time is only 2m?

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Nevermind
Mind doesn't work correctly. My screen on time is correct, but my screen off time does not.
A very long day.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I guess maybe because having '50% battery based on a 8-hour day' is ambiguous. Sitting on standby and doing a few texts, calls and listening to some music will likely get those results. If you spend those 8 hours on the phone constantly on the internet among other things, like the poster earlier in this thread, good luck with having 20% left.
<sigh> Yea, I spent over $1200 just to admire the craftsmanship.... LMAO

loybond

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I like my max but at the moment the wifi problems have me reconsidering. Apart from that, the battery isn't what I expected, the screen and size are pretty good, it is very snappy, camera is not bad for a phone...

But I have to call you out on the A7R3 comparison. It's not even on the same planet. Not even close to an rx100 even.

After owning every single iPhone model made (except the 5c, that was just a joke), the XS Max is the BEST iPHONE I HAVE EVER HAD! It’s one of those products that has the things you want from different devices all rolled into one! I can’t remember ever being so satisfied, so HAPPY with a phone! Is anyone else feeling like this!?

1. BATTERY LIFE: Beats the 8 Plus, which is saying something! I currently have almost 8 hours of screen time and 7.5 hrs standby, and my battery is at 51%! What!! I cannot kill this battery!

2. CAMERA: as good as the Pixel 2 XL! How!? I can finally take low-light pictures that look GREAT, and daytime shots are as good as my pro camera Sony A7RIII. How?

3. SCREEN: Even better than the iPhone X for color calibration. Unless you have a defective phone, the color saturation IMO is better than any other iPhone made, and even beats the Note 9 (also saying something bc Samsung finally got it right this year!)

4. SIZE: Slightly smaller than the 8 Plus but it’s all screen, yet it doesn’t FEEL big because I can still use it one-handed, which literally makes it the PERFECT size phone for me!

5. SPEED: I’m speechless on this one. Aside from a few weird freezes I’ve had, I don’t know how to describe how fast the XS Max is... It so precisely matches everything I do, that I don’t even think about how fast everything is happening. My phone no longer gets in my way.... Does that make sense?

Damn, I am so happy!!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I like my max but at the moment the wifi problems have me reconsidering. Apart from that, the battery isn't what I expected, the screen and size are pretty good, it is very snappy, camera is not bad for a phone...

But I have to call you out on the A7R3 comparison. It's not even on the same planet. Not even close to an rx100 even.
LOL, of course! I’m a photographer so I know there are fundamental differences (though some professionals make an argument for shooting ONLY from iPhones). But this isn’t a photog forum where we’d be discussing the nuances, like shooting RAW vs JPEG, post-processing for prints, professional events shooting, etc... That is too deep a discussion for here. However, for the purposes of taking and viewing photos on a phone and posting to social media? Daytime shots from the XS Max look just as good as any Sony pic! :)

I’m hearing a few people are having probs with their WiFi and making calls. Have you tried resetting the network settings and a soft reboot? Sometimes using an iCloud backup for the restore on a new phone carries over wonky settings that don’t work on the newer phone. Otherwise, I’d def’n take advantage of your 2-week window and get the phone exchanged. Cheers!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
So... I wasn't planning on upgrading from an X... but I got it in the mail yesterday and it's fully set up now.

You win this round, Apple.
Same, wasn’t planning on upgrading whatsoever. Incredible iPhone, so glad I changed my mind.

loybond

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Agreed on the photography discussion. I was concerned for a second there lol. The wifi problems persist despite taking many steps. I will try setting it up fresh again and see if that makes any difference.

LOL, of course! I’m a photographer so I know there are fundamental differences (though some professionals make an argument for shooting ONLY from iPhones). But this isn’t a photog forum where we’d be discussing the nuances, like shooting RAW vs JPEG, post-processing for prints, professional events shooting, etc... That is too deep a discussion for here. However, for the purposes of taking and viewing photos on a phone and posting to social media? Daytime shots from the XS Max look just as good as any Sony pic! :)

I’m hearing a few people are having probs with their WiFi and making calls. Have you tried resetting the network settings and a soft reboot? Sometimes using an iCloud backup for the restore on a new phone carries over wonky settings that don’t work on the newer phone. Otherwise, I’d def’n take advantage of your 2-week window and get the phone exchanged. Cheers!

nrvna76

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2010
I might as well just set Apple up with a direct percentage of my paycheck.. it’s gonna happen one way or another, why keep fighting it?

ferjilo

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
I love the XS Max. It is gorgeous. It is fast. It makes great pictures. And the screen is amazing. I don’t find it too big, it’s the same feeling in my pocket as with the X or the 6 and at my hands is great. Enjoy your XS Max!

scotsmandc

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
So... I wasn't planning on upgrading from an X... but I got it in the mail yesterday and it's fully set up now.

You win this round, Apple.
What did you upgrade from? I went from max to xs to x. I notice notice difference. Max was too heavy. Got the xs, and thought it was too expensive compared to the x. The x works and feels the same as the xs minus the camera. Saved me over $1000.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
Nevermind
That means 2m of usage with the screen off I believe.

Reactions: Seth Matthews