iPhone XS Max Everything about the XS Max is just AMAZING! Best iPhone EVER!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I also have Background App Refresh turned off for everything, in the battery stats it doesn't seem to be any background activity from Apps.
Definitely try a soft reboot. Also, new phones can take several days to finish the background stuff that goes on with restoring a phone. Idk the science of it, but I’d give it a couple more days before taking it in to Apple for diagnostics.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Ok, so I’m gonna do a new test to let the battery die completely and then see what my results are. That is, if I can rely on the Apple stats, which you keep saying aren’t accurate, but you still keep analyzing anyway. Bahaha! :)

Please understand.... My main point is NOT what I expect to get out of a 24 hr period. It’s not that I am trying to “predict” and “promote” 20 hours of screen time in one battery charge. It’s YOU guys who keep taking my comments to that level, when all I’m talking about is what I get out of my usage in a normal day, and how much battery I have left over. Even if my phone were to die after 9.5 hrs screen time, I would be happy. Instead, I’m left with another 38% battery life! How is that not dope? My X would die every damn night, my 8 Plus would go <20% but that was still good bc I had reserve, now my XS Max got 10.5 screen on time with 29% battery left since I next charged it this morning. Idk why you think there’s nothing amazing about that, but it is actually INSANE battery life compared to my 2 former iPhones, and a number of OP on here agree with me.
I’m really not sure how else to explain this to you.

You keep saying that you got 9.5 hours of screen time with 38% percent battery left. This implies that you went from 100% to 38% and got 9.5 hours of SOT out of that chunk of usage. I understand clearly what you’re saying.

What I’m saying is that this didn’t happen. You did not go from 100% to 38% and get 9.5 hours of SOT. You used your phone, juiced it up to 100%, used it some more until it got down to 38% and that got you 9.5 hours of SOT.

Please do conduct your test. Feel free to let us know how it turns out. I just hate for people to believe things that are untrue.

Last edited:
Reactions: w_aldo

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
You had roughly 7 hours screen-on time after you took it off the charger on your screenshot on post #11. Not 9 hours.
The timeline for the battery and activity line up and show a 24 hour period.. the blue activity bars tell you how much screen time on (dark blue) and screen off time (light blue) your phone has been active. Each activity bar is an hour.

If you look at the battery graph, charging times are represented by this light green shaded background on the chart. When the bar is full, the battery is 100%.

The time on is for the ENTIRE 24 hour period.
[doublepost=1538078885][/doublepost]to add to my comment - if you used your phone for a solid 24 hours while it was plugged in charging, your screen on time would show 24 hours...
[doublepost=1538079071][/doublepost]View attachment 789740

I've highlighted with the black box each charging time on this screen shot.
Yes, I understand how to read the graph, thank you. What I don’t know is where do you see the phone charged AND being used at the same time? I see where it is being charged, but not being used at the same time.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
6.5” is bigger than 5.5”?
No because of the new aspect ratio I was thinking it was about the same size as the plus phones. The X is taller than the old plus phones but a lot narrower. The overall screen size of the X is smaller than the plus phones.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Yes, I understand how to read the graph, thank you. What I don’t know is where do you see the phone charged AND being used at the same time? I see where it is being charged, but not being used at the same time.
Every where the black boxes line up... You say you understand how to read the graph, but I'm not sure you do. Any thing inside a black box in 'Activity' was usage while charging.

Untitled3.png

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Notice how the phone was on the charger for like 8 hours. Also notice that he is using the phone while it is plugged in between 12AM and 3AM.

Before that, he ran it down from about 60% to zero. Charged it up to 100%, then ran it back down to zero again. That’s 160% of battery life used over the 24 hour period. He got 19 hours of SOT with 160% battery but...over two of those hours were spent on the charger. So it’s really 17 hours with 160% of the battery...which works out to 10% per hour. Which is what everyone has been trying to tell you.

EDIT: I just saw your post above. Yes, he was able to rack up usage hours while his phone was charging and not using the battery.
I see what you’re saying about charging in-between, so that doesn’t count toward usage on one battery charge. Still, he got 9.4% per hour, not 10%, which adds up over a 10 hour period
Look at where the green chart starts to go up. Now look at the one below it. The one with the blue bars.

Notice how he has blue bars underneath where the battery graph starts to go up again. That indicates that he is charging and using the phone concurrently.
Ahh, yes, I see that. Thank you so much!

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I’m really not sure how else to explain this to you.

You keep saying that you got 9.5 hours of screen time with 38% percent battery left. This implies that you went from 100% to 38% and got 9.5 hours of SOT out of that chunk of usage. I understand clearly what you’re saying.

What I’m saying is that this didn’t happen. You did not go from 100% to 38% and get 9.5 hours of SOT. You used your phone, juiced it up to 100%, used it some more until it got down to 38% and that got you 9.5 hours of SOT.

Please do conduct your test. Feel free to let us know how it turns out. I just hate for people to believe things that are untrue.
Huh? How on earth is there a difference? Charge from zero or charge from whatever?! I charged my phone to 100%, then started using it screen-ON for the bulk of the 9+ hours and had 38% battery left. The actual screen ON time was between 7.5-8 hrs. The total time I had my phone off the charger at the point of my screenshot was 12 hours. So after a “day” of normal use -12 hrs- before counting night time (as a normal example, since my hours were off), I still had 38% battery left after an entire DAY of near-constant sot.

Let’s round the numbers a tad and say I had 8 hrs sot in a 12 hr period with 40% battery left. As per your “10% rule,” 8 hrs of sot should have drained my battery to 20%. Right? Instead, I was at 40% rounded up, 38% in reality, which, if you allow for the 2% difference in your 10% rule, is TWICE AS MUCH BATTERY LIFE STILL LEFT. This is after 8 hours of sot! Excuse me if you are seriously saying that this is not a MASSIVE FREAKING IMPROVEMENT over EVERY iPhone EVER, not to mention Samsung/Google phones!! Moreover, using your 10% rule again, Apple’s claim is actually, (and surprisingly), accurate: they said the XS Max gets 1.5 hrs more on the battery.... Using your math, 10% per hour, an extra 1.5 hrs would be 15% more battery life. According to YOU, I should have been at 20% battery, but oh wait, look.... we know I had 38% left! Apple says we get an extra 15%, and oh look again, I actually got an EXTRA 18% OVER YOUR 10% RULE..... Hence, I had 18% MORE BATTERY LIFE than the X, which is 3% more than Apple’s claim.... oh hell, I’ll give you the 3% - either way, I am still getting that extra 1.5 hrs battery life!! Bahaha!
[doublepost=1538085879][/doublepost]
Every where the black boxes line up... You say you understand how to read the graph, but I'm not sure you do. Any thing inside a black box in 'Activity' was usage while charging.

View attachment 789762
Yes, please be nice, I just didn’t look closely at the blue under the green charging.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Huh? How on earth is there a difference? Charge from zero or charge from whatever?! I charged my phone to 100%, then started using it screen-ON for the bulk of the 9+ hours and had 38% battery left. The actual screen ON time was between 7.5-8 hrs. The total time I had my phone off the charger at the point of my screenshot was 12 hours. So after a “day” of normal use -12 hrs- before counting night time (as a normal example, since my hours were off), I still had 38% battery left after an entire DAY of near-constant sot.

Let’s round the numbers a tad and say I had 8 hrs sot in a 12 hr period with 40% battery left. As per your “10% rule,” 8 hrs of sot should have drained my battery to 20%. Right? Instead, I was at 40% rounded up, 38% in reality, which, if you allow for the 2% difference in your 10% rule, is TWICE AS MUCH BATTERY LIFE STILL LEFT. This is after 8 hours of sot! Excuse me if you are seriously saying that this is not a MASSIVE FREAKING IMPROVEMENT over EVERY iPhone EVER, not to mention Samsung/Google phones!! Moreover, using your 10% rule again, Apple’s claim is actually, (and surprisingly), accurate: they said the XS Max gets 1.5 hrs more on the battery.... Using your math, 10% per hour, an extra 1.5 hrs would be 15% more battery life. According to YOU, I should have been at 20% battery, but oh wait, look.... we know I had 38% left! Apple says we get an extra 15%, and oh look again, I actually got an EXTRA 18% OVER YOUR 10% RULE..... Hence, I had 18% MORE BATTERY LIFE than the X, which is 3% more than Apple’s claim.... oh hell, I’ll give you the 3% - either way, I am still getting that extra 1.5 hrs battery life!! Bahaha!
[doublepost=1538085879][/doublepost]

Yes, please be nice, I just didn’t look closely at the blue under the green charging.
OK man.

You expended 62% of your battery and got just over 7 hours of SOT. You’re rounding the numbers to fit your argument.

You clearly want to believe what you want, and I’m generally not in the business of raining on parades, so I’ll just leave it at that. I’m glad you’re enjoying your phone. Have a good one.

Winryito

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
I am doing about 10% per hour on my iPhone xs max. That includes safari/pubg mobile/other mobile games. Getting about 9-10hr usage with no charge.

Reactions: JAZJB

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

View attachment 789762
Think apple screwed up (what else is new) the screen time calculation. No need to check.

How can you have over 19hrs SOT and TWO MINUTES of screen off? Bloody impossible.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
OK man.

You expended 62% of your battery and got just over 7 hours of SOT. You’re rounding the numbers to fit your argument.

You clearly want to believe what you want, and I’m generally not in the business of raining on parades, so I’ll just leave it at that. I’m glad you’re enjoying your phone. Have a good one.
No, I don’t do that. I need facts and truth, I’m trying to explain mine. I preempted my example by saying I’d round up the numbers to get the math straight, then I went right back to the actual numbers. Didn’t I? Yes. In contrast, you said I got 7 hrs sot based on my blue bars by.... EYEING THEM?? Then you say WITH CERTAINTY that was what I got, as if that is FACT! Seriously? Who’s fitting whose narrative now? You can’t CLICK on my bars! You made an assumption, period. I, however, COULD click on my bars, and damn, had I known I’d be torn apart for sharing my incredible battery life, I would’ve added up each bar precisely!! That’s why I said 7.5-8 hrs bc it was in that range when I averaged the bars. You seem to have a problem with my estimation, but not with your EYEBALL one. Why? Bc you are projecting your own assumptions, including your “10% rule,” which clearly does not fit my situation AT ALL..... and I believe you know it!

Idk why you’re so certain I’m trying to promote 20 hr battery life or something. I totally feel you on not spreading fake news/info, but you accuse me of this based on what? Did I ever SAY that anyone else would get these numbers? EVAH?? Did I? No. This whole post is about MY EXPERIENCE!! I’ve been clear about that from the jump. That’s why I’m annoyed. Battery life is always subjective! You accuse me of false propaganda, when I NEVER said anything to that end. EVAH.
[doublepost=1538097343][/doublepost]
Lol this entire post is the exact reason Apple went with this 24 hour battery Stat. It makes people who don't really understand think how amazing their battery is.
If my battery lasts for 8 hrs with 50% left for the night, then YES, that is damn good battery life. People don’t imagine amazing battery life when they’re actually EXPERIENCING it. :)
[doublepost=1538097433][/doublepost]
Think apple screwed up (what else is new) the screen time calculation. No need to check.

How can you have over 19hrs SOT and TWO MINUTES of screen off? Bloody impossible.
BTW, the SS you’re referring to is not mine. The 19hr one isn’t mine, it belongs to FRR. Mine is on the first or second page of this thread.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
BTW, the SS you’re referring to is not mine. The 19hr one isn’t mine, it belongs to FRR. Mine is on the first or second page of this thread.
Unless @FFR faked his chart, otherwise something is screwed up with Screen Time algorithm. So your chart is most probably wrong.

Like I said, unless you turn your screen all the way down (and with minimal apps running), physics tells that you can't get that kind of time. I think I posted this above. Displaymate tested the XS Max screen to consume 2 watts at 50% brightness. At XS Max battery size, the battery can power the screen for 7.2 hours. But the screen is not the only thing that is drawing power. In most situations with auto-brightness if you use phone continuously, the screen accounts for 40-50% of power use.

Last edited:

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Unless @FFR faked his chart, otherwise something is screwed up with Screen Time algorithm. So your chart is most probably wrong.

Like I said, unless you turn your screen all the way down (and with minimal apps running), physics tells that you can't get that kind of time. I think I posted this above. Displaymate tested the XS Max screen to consume 2 watts at 50% brightness. At XS Max battery size, the battery can power the screen for 7.2 hours. But the screen is not the only thing that is drawing power. In most situations with auto-brightness if you use phone continuously, the screen accounts for 40-50% of power use.
I think OP looked at it as a 24 hr period with charging in-between. He averaged 9 hrs or so each day with heavy usage.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I think OP looked at it as a 24 hr period with charging in-between. He averaged 9 hrs or so each day with heavy usage.
Thanks for all the analysis on the battery screenshot, 9 hours seems about right, I guess. Defiantly getting more than the iPhone X

Don’t pay mib1800 too much attention, he is just sore he got a note 9 instead an iPhone max

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
Glad you love your device!

The regular XS pricing is super weird because if you’re happy with 64GB (which I contend that most will be) who wouldn’t be tempted to spend $100 more on a superior phone?

So it does feel that Apple are killing the regular XS simply due to pricing.

The more I think about, 2018 is a weird year for the iPhone.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
How do you even fake a battery screenshot?
It’s literally a screenshot.
Your taking your obsession with the iPhone X’s max to a whole new level. I thought the post where you kept drawing the iPhone X screen was weird but this takes the cake.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
How do you even fake a battery screenshot?
It’s literally a screenshot.

Well, you could have turned your screen brightness all the way down. You put your phone on airplane mode. You ran only light app (or not running any) like reading an ebook. :p

Your taking your obsession with the iPhone X’s max to a whole new level. I thought the post where you kept drawing the iPhone X screen was weird but this takes the cake.
If you dont have the guts to rebut/debate my point properly, then you just made yourself look desperate and silly with your statement.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Well, you could have turn your screen brightness all the way down. You put your phone on airplane mode. You ran only light app (or not running any).
Is that how you use your phone?
Didn’t know Samsung users had to be so delicate with their devices.

Got the phone on Friday, set it up on Saturday and have been hammering it ever since, even while attending a 6 hour event, I just couldn’t put it down. Not going to spend £1500 on a device and use it, lightly.

It’s just infantile to even make such a suggestion. But hey different strokes.

If you dont have the guts to rebut/debate my point properly, then you just made yourself look desperate and silly with your statement.
Huh? Your inaccuracies were rebuffed numerous times by me and other posters but here you are again.
I wanted the iPhone X’s max and I bought it, Im not the not the one sitting at a desk all day drawing diagrams about it. I believe that’s you.

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
It’s awesome how many people are loving the max.

Anyone buy the regular Xs over the Max? And why?

Just curious, I’ve no skin the game!