Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today held its annual September event, but this year was a bit different because no new iPhones were announced. The "Time Flies" event focused on the Apple Watch Series 6 and the iPad Air, and saw the debut of a new Apple One services bundle.

It took Apple an hour to introduce the new devices, but we've recapped the event in just seven minutes for our readers who would like a no-frills but thorough overview of all of the announcements.

The new $399 Apple Watch Series 6 offers a faster S6 chip for better performance and battery efficiency, a next-generation always-on altimeter, and, most notably, a new blood oxygen monitoring feature. Apple is also selling it in two new aluminum colors: blue and (PRODUCT)RED.

Apple also announced a lower-cost $279 Apple Watch SE without blood oxygen monitoring, or ECG, and there's a new iPad Air with an all-screen display, new colors, and a Touch ID power button. A new Fitness+ service offers Apple Watch-guided fitness videos for $9.99 per month, and the Apple One bundle lets you purchase several services for one monthly price to save some cash.

All of our event coverage is available below, so make sure to check out our articles so you don't miss any of the updates.
Apple Watch Series 6 and SE

iPad Air

Eighth-Generation iPad

Apple One

Fitness+

Other Announcements

Apple Videos

Apple shared several videos during its keynote event highlighting new products. We've embedded them below for those who missed seeing the event live.

Apple's full event livestream can be rewatched on YouTube or on the Apple Event website, and there's even an ASL version.

The new Apple Watch models and iPad can be purchased as of today, with the iPad Air set to become available in October.

Article Link: Everything Apple Announced at Today's iPad and Apple Watch Event in Just Seven Minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Not debuting the Airtags makes sense now, in retrospect. Those are associated with the iPhone and its ability to locate tags with its U1 chip, specially if there'll be augmented reality feature to locate Airtags, a major feature of the iPhone 12 with its LiDAR. Airtags wouldn't make sense in an Apple Watch focused event.

I'm wondering about the tv though. Unless they want some filler in the iPhone event, I don't see why it couldn't have been announced now, ahead of the Fall TV schedule.

Reactions: drumcat and Samut

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
You can tell that the iPhone supply chain wasn't ready so they pushed the fall iPad updates to this month.

I really wanted a new watch and ordered the 6 today. Then I watched the presentation of the SE watch and now I'm having second thoughts! It's the blood oxygen sensor that puts me over the edge as I have some health issues. Gotta stop second guessing myself!!

Reactions: drumcat

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Not debuting the Airtags makes sense now, in retrospect. Those are associated with the iPhone and its ability to locate tags with its U1 chip, specially if there'll be augmented reality feature to locate Airtags, a major feature of the iPhone 12 with its LiDAR. Airtags wouldn't make sense in an Apple Watch focused event.

I'm wondering about the tv though. Unless they want some filler in the iPhone event, I don't see why it couldn't have been announced now, ahead of the Fall TV schedule.

I just had to comment that you are most likely spot on. Could not have thought it myself but with U1 and Lidar you can have a pretty neat solution for finding the tags using augmented reality. Very well thought.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I’m so sick of seeing this. Do you know why? Cause the tech isn’t new anymore. It’s very mature. What do you want them to do? It’s just a phone or a watch. You want it to teleport you around or something

What cracks me up is so many people crying about lack of innovation at Apple, and yet when pressed, they have not been able to articulate what that might or could be, even at the most rudimentary top level. It's just a big bowl of whine to feel better about themselves.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
So what are we thinking? I’ve got a series 3 at the moment, I don’t do much with the watch but it’s nice to have and the first thing I put on in the morning and last thing off at night.

Would I see ’really good’ performance increases if I upgraded to the 6? If would have to be the 6 because I’d want the always on display.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK

Don’t the most recent rumours about Apple TV have the next update early next year? With some features that will flip the gaming market upside down...

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
A press release would have been better, so much fluff and wasted minutes, at least change the Apple Watch bezels or something, 2 years and that’s the best they have might stick with series 4, I don’t get excited anymore for the keynotes, it’s hard being a Apple fan now days, even the iPhone 12 pro won’t be that interesting, how can a cheaper iPad have a faster cpu than the iPad Pro, the last iPad Pro was another useless update, I used to always get the new products each year but lately I don’t want to, where is the innovation gone; they spend more time talking about the environment than give up great hardware

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Still no clear all messages option and why doesn’t iCloud messages work with the watch, it’s annoying clearing all the messages one by one

Reactions: lc96 and Tofupunch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.