Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple crammed an overwhelming number of new features into its WWDC 2024 keynote event, introducing Apple Intelligence, iOS 18, iPadOS 18, macOS Sequoia, visionOS 2, watchOS 11, and tvOS 18. It was hard to keep up with everything that Apple highlighted, so we did a video of all of the new additions you won't want to miss.

We've also got a full recap of all of today's WWDC keynote coverage for a more in-depth look at each announcement.
Apple Intelligence

iOS 18 and iPadOS 18

macOS Sequoia

watchOS 11

tvOS 18

visionOS 2

Other Announcements
... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Everything Apple Announced at WWDC 2024 in Nine Minutes

Reactions: JapanApple

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wonder who would, with all the words in the world, come up with a name like Apple Intelligence -So arrogant and completely lame.
Not arrogant. It denotes that the feature is Apple based. And as such, will be built and integrated specifically for Apple devices. It is no different than Ford Mustang or Chevy Cruze, BMW etc.

I think if you are going to complain, do it about something real instead of something you made up just to gripe.

Last edited:

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
A lot of great things coming for Apple devices. Finally, call recording.

It started great with the group on the plane. The funniest was Craig F. putting on the hair helmet for the skydive, then the hair app he hid.

Reactions: Moi Ici

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
I wonder who would, with all the words in the world, come up with a name like Apple Intelligence -So arrogant and completely lame.
Understood. If we focus on names that reflect Apple's brand ethos and product philosophy while using "A" and "I," here are some alternatives:

1. **Apple Intelligence**: Directly tying the AI technology to the Apple brand.

2. **Adaptive Interface**: Highlighting the AI's role in enhancing user interaction with Apple products.

3. **Advanced Integration**: Reflecting how the AI seamlessly integrates across Apple's ecosystem.

4. **Apple Insight**: Emphasizing the AI's ability to provide deep, meaningful insights.

5. **Apple Innovate**: Showcasing the AI's role in driving innovation within Apple products.

These names maintain the "A" and "I" format while strongly associating with Apple's brand identity and values.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Overall a beefy update. Except for the iPad. It continues to be a somewhat of a disappointment to those of us who have loved it since standing in line on April 3, 2010. I can see its true potential, but it just doesn’t ever fully live up to it. Even with an M4! And especially with an M4. Only reason to buy a Pro is the display.

Darren.h

Suspended
Apr 15, 2023
I like that you can view and control your iPhone from your Mac now.

macOS Sonoma looks like finally a decent update.

Last 3 years of macOS Updates felt like very minor updates. Bug Fixes

AI alone in macOS should be a game changer

Reactions: twocents and dork

duhfok

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2024
For those of us professional users with M1 max and ultra studios, its pretty disappointing that we didn't even get a roadmap for the release of the next wave of pro-level macs. Why release an M4 chip in a tablet and leave all desktop pro-users with no idea when the next hardware upgrade is coming?

It's all feeling elitist... I mean is anyone without the disposable income to do so even considering an apple vision pro? I could really benefit from being able to plan hardware purchases for my video and animation business rather than being wowed by the novelties of apple vision pro.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I will admit, of all things released my biggest takeaways was the pretty lack lustre effort for the Vision Pro.
Given they are classing this as version 2, and not 1.something, I (and I suspect most) were expecting something a bit more hard hitting than a wider mac display and help for mapping apps to a surface.
Again, (not sure if anyone noticed) it was, to me very noticeable how Apple is showing this as a device for people at home on their own.
For a social family company, their lack of vision to involve the family is very jarring.

Also of course the iPad. Over the past weeks/months (and especially since the M4 iPad came out) everyone has been screaming about how amazing iPads are, but simply held back by what it basically a blown up iPhone OS.
I know many were expecting Apple to justify how good the hardware was by a major revamp for the OS, but instead we got a fancy calculator app and some menu bars.
Really Apple is this as far as your imagination for the iPad is able to go.

Reactions: Jovijoker

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Is anyone more scared than excited by the new features of recording and transcribing phone conversation, which gives Apple Intelligence a totally different meaning.
It does mean you have to trust Apple more and more.
As nowadays you kinda have to trust your data to a tech-corp, I still believe, personally, that Apple is the most trustworthy (or the least not trustworthy).

IMHO, lots of fun things can be done with AI on Apple devices (love the Math notes), but not sure if it all is auctally that life-changing as the hype suggests.

As human you have to keep yourself ”above” AI to check and correct many workflows…. Kind like you’re the teacher, and the device the student.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
At least they are being transparent, now let's test them offline. Currently, the Siri fails to work without being online.

Mindfighter

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
What will new smarter siri mean for homepod? They mentioned numerous times that she's coming to ios, ipados and macos so does that mean she'll continue to be dumb as a brick on the device that she makes most sense in?

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
My biggest question in all of this is - to what extend can I disable the “AI” integration?
The only thing that seems slightly useful to me is the notification summaries. Everything else (and especially those dumb generated images that seem like the sort of thing people try for giggles and then never touch again) does not interest me in the slightest.

So, will it be possible to turn it off? Or will I just have to stay on Sonoma indefinitely?

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Movable icons are lame and very non-Apple, instead of simplicity they are overcomplicating everything. At least it looked like that in the keynote.

I am OK with AI features that they have even personally branded, but adding GPT’s image generator was kinda controversial. People have been talking for many month already how uncanny-looking generated pictures are.

Genmoji was fun, I doubt I will ever use it but it is a fun idea and should have been available before.

It feels like they are late to the party — all these features (except AI maybe) should have been available in iOS 15, not iOS 18. Their slow pace is very triggering. I guess total iOS UI overhaul would only be in version 20

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.