Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aapl owner

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Raleigh NC
This could have been a press release, maybe I’m just bitter since I just got a MacBook Pro a few months ago.
Agreed, I was expecting a lot more from the M3 release so I can see why they did it as an evening event since its pretty much shrug. However, the M3Max seems like a killer chip but the M3Pro is only a meassly 10% faster than the M2Pro!!!! and only addresses 36GB of RAM. My 2-year-old M1Pro came with 32GB - only see a 12.5% RAM upgrade after 2 years - pathetic. Oh well, I guess we will wait for the totally awesome mind-blowing M4's in another year.

Reactions: Pruus and Spock

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How much did the price of the macbook pro drop?
several hundreds which is rare on this planet.
Now figure out HOW it “dropped” (because there was a meaningful change) and compare the old entry level price to the new entry level price for a MBpro and gauge the “savings” as measured by dollar extractions from wallet.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Now figure out HOW it “dropped” (because there was a meaningful change) and compare the old entry level price to the new entry level price for a MBpro and gauge the “savings” as measured by dollar extractions from wallet.
She said the price dropped from (ithink) 1999.99 to 1599.99 for some model Similar.
im not applauding or condoning her statement, just wondering.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

aapl owner

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Raleigh NC
It could have something to do with the net zero commitment. An Apple Studio display will last for years, and can be paired with multiple Mac Mini or Studio models over that time. The iMac can’t be upgraded, so it is geared toward buyers of lower end models who keep them for longer.
ROFL, must be nice to be so naive. It is related to higher revenue and profits and it has zero to do with green anything. The iMac is just the low-end desktop computer now and everyone needs to pay up for real desktop power. The 27" iMac was such a fantastic workhorse for a decent price but no more.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
She said the price dropped from (ithink) 1999.99 to 1599.99 for some model Similar.
Dig deeper. But hint: $1699 to $1599 implied $100 cheaper, but entry level MBpro now requires $300 more to come out of a wallet.

Let’s just call that “magical” Apple savings math, where one spends $300 more to ‘save’ $100. 😉

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
ROFL, must be nice to be so naive. It is related to higher revenue and profits. The iMac is just the low-end desktop computer now everyone else needs to pay up for real power. The 27" iMac was such a fantastic workhorse for a decent price but no more.
They offer the Studio Display. Paired with a high end Mac Mini and it’s basically the 27” iMac except in a few years you can replace the Mac mini. And the Mac Studio offers power that won’t fit inside the 27” iMac chassis.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Apple's "Scary Fast" 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time event was over in the blink of an eye, but if you missed it because of the unusual time, we have a quick overview of everything that Apple announced. If you want to watch the video in full, it only lasted a half an hour, because all Apple introduced was the new M3-series chips in MacBook Pro machines and iMacs.

We've recapped everything that you need to know in this super quick video you can watch before bed or catch in the morning, and we've also rounded up our coverage of the event.

MacBook Pro

iMac

Everything Else

The M3 iMac and MacBook Pro models can be ordered now, with the first orders set to ship out to customers next week. The M3 and M3 Pro machines will be available immediately, while M3 Max machines will ship out later in November.

Article Link: Everything Apple Announced at Tonight's 'Scary Fast' Event
Sad to see the Touch Bar discontinued, the 14" M3 would be perfect for me if it had the Touch Bar as an option, that is an option worth $200 to me 😒
Does anyone know if the Vivid app will work on the base M3?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm just a bit disappointed that they glossed over gaming so quickly. If you now have a gaming mode then maybe take a deeper dive into gaming in your presentation.
Apparently “gaming’ was a holy mother of red herrings for this event. People were speculating AppleTV Pro with ray tracing earlier today… and even a dedicated console.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
Though the base model is more comparable to the old 13” model that started at $1299.
How is it comparable???
The 13" with 512gb SSD would have cost $1499
The rest of the machine is worst in every department!!
Except the Touch Bar 😒

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
The least expensive 14" M3 MBPro lacks the third USB-C port that is beside the HDMA port on the right side on my M1 14" MBPro (64GB Ram and 4TB SSD) and the more expensive M3 MBPros. It has only 8-core CPU. The cheaper model can address only 24GB of ram and up to 2TB of storage. This is the only model with 22 hours of battery life. My M1 MAX has 17 hours vs the M3 MAX claims 18 hours of battery life

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn007

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It could have something to do with the net zero commitment. An Apple Studio display will last for years, and can be paired with multiple Mac Mini or Studio models over that time. The iMac can’t be upgraded, so it is geared toward buyers of lower end models who keep them for longer.
iMac could be simply upgradeable if Apple felt like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.