Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
You could sell your current and get a new one. Chances are you would notice zero real world difference.
I’m seeing reports that it’s only a 10% performance difference. Not worth the hassle, I’ll wait until something more substantial is released.

Reactions: D_J

lix220

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2022
Am I the only person thinks this is Apple's distraction tactics hoping to salvage the iPhone 15 disaster?

Overheating, wireless charging malfunction, shutting down overnight... none of that is ever fixed by iOS 17.1 updates.... But suddenly no one is talking about it, so new buyers may think it doesnt exist..... I mean the 15 inch M2 just came out 3 freaking month ago... now they throw at you a 14inch M3 for the same price....

felt like the government giving you 5 bucks subsidy to tackle the declining birthrate.... do you think I'm that stupid....?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Respect for Apple holding an event whenever the heck they want because hardware is ready, and not because of some historically-driven timetable or annual tradition.

Boo (pun intended) for not playing up the space black color as a reason for the evening event, the day before Halloween. Looks darn good, the 2006 matte-black-plastic MacBook reborn!

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Nice event. Short. Concise. No fluff. No vomit-inducing virtue signaling. More of this please.
Agree, straight to the point and nice visuals. But the M3 Pro cutoff (less bandwidth, 2P cores became 2E cores) to make M3 Max look more appealing, and the M3 base with 8GB in a 2k€ seems odd. Here the baseline 16GB-512GB option increased 100€. Well, 18GB RAM actually so 2 extra GB for 100€.
The rest seemed pretty cool (Raytracing, better NPU, much more perf per watt...).

Reactions: Chuckeee

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Really Apple is trolling now... No mention of what app was used to edit.. no mention of upgrades and 8GB of RAM in 2023? Really is the best Apple can do? Total garbage? Had a better product when they went to Intel from Motorola... Now it is all junk... Apple is trolling... Face it, within 12 months, even the OS will be rental only..

Hopscotcher

Suspended
Oct 28, 2023
All this hoopla for the last three weeks over a spec-bumped iMac and MBPro? Sheesh.
Every upgrade is a spec bump. I'm not sure what else you were expecting.

What’s Logic? Oh right…used to be relevant 🤣

Protools is the standard for audio. Cube maybe. Logic is no longer a consideration for most studios.
Tons of famous musicians use Logic. Saying things doesn't make it true. Some you may have even heard of, like Ed Sheeran. It's still wildly popular ... as are MacBook Pros ... for many professional artists. You don't know what you're talking about.

RealE

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2023
They offer the Studio Display. Paired with a high end Mac Mini and it’s basically the 27” iMac except in a few years you can replace the Mac mini. And the Mac Studio offers power that won’t fit inside the 27” iMac chassis.

It would be easier to believe Apple is doing this for environmental/net zero reasons if they didn't put an A13 chip running iOS inside the Studio Display. That all but ensures the Studio Display will come to an end of life before the LED panel actually gives out.

The real environmentally friendly solution would be to make the iMacs easy to open again (like the 2008 models) and sell just the new logic boards for those of us who want to upgrade our 27" iMacs 3, 4, 5 or even 10 years down the line.

This is clearly a money grab: cheapest Mac Mini + Studio Display = $2200, 2020 27" iMac = $1800

Last edited:
Reactions: veterpee

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I think the M3 is a good upgrade and it really needs to be compared to the M1 since the M2 could have been considered something of a stop gap until the M3 was ready. I couldn't see upgrading from an M1 to an M2, but I can see reasons to upgrade from an M1 to an M3 (the improved graphics being a major factor).

Plus, the people who are posting about sticking with their Intel Macs because they see no reason to upgrade to the M3 probably have no good reason to even be using a desktop or laptop computer. They'd probably be just as well off with a $40 desktop calculator and something like an iPad or even a calculator and an Apple TV. That's a bit harsh but probably no worse than inferring that the M3 isn't a worthwhile upgrade from an Intel Mac.

I guess the only reason to stick with Intel would be if you absolutely need 64GB or more of DRAM or something like one additional USB port (although for the latter USB-C hubs are cheap and can add a lot of functionality).

Last edited:
Reactions: matrix07 and D_J

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I was watching this and the whole time I was saying "Ha?". I don't know advanced computers, and I guess this is better speeds or something. I was reminded of when Steve Jobs did a presentation and he simplified things even commoners can understand. That was not that during this event. I felt confused and thankful for my Air M1 and that it still works.

Also, I remember reading an article talking about maybe bringing up new Airpods and that was one of the reasons I actually decided to watch this thing. They could have offered updates on various other products that got no love this year. Heck, I remember one year they had a Services event and talked about Apple TV+ and Apple Music. They just rose the prices on all of these services and it would have been nice to get a reason to continue to buy those with the raised prices. Heck, just a blurb about Apple TV and Apple TV+ would have gone a long way. I know it was an event about Macs, but considering it was only a half hour, they could have done so much more.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
The yields on the 3nm process are not high enough for a high volume product like the MacBook Air.

As far as portability, the air and the pro are fairly similar.

I think the chip choices make sense. Now the Air gets the M3 when the pros move onto the M4.

I suspect they will start to build a ritual/lifecycle, like the iphone, from here.

Last edited:

tominco

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
I just wish Apple would produce a 27" iMac with Apple Silicon. I want to upgrade my current iMac, but really like the 27" display.

• Angry
Reactions: Chuckeee

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Nice event. Short. Concise. No fluff. No vomit-inducing virtue signaling. More of this please.

Also Tim in the murdered out black Air Forces. Hard. :cool:

F9uk684agAA5zk4

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
$300 more expensive MacBook Pro max.
SO BUMMER
This means the M3 Max Mac Studio will also be $300 more expensive.

all for a lousy 15 percent performance boost.

Every year Apple gets worse.

Reactions: ralph_sws
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.