Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today held a special October event in Brooklyn, New York, which saw the debut of revamped 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, an updated MacBook Air, and a refreshed Mac mini.

It took Apple an hour and a half to introduce the new Space Gray Mac mini with updated hardware, the new MacBook Air with Retina display and Touch ID, and the entirely redesigned iPad Pro models with Face ID, but we've recapped the entire event in just six minutes for our readers who want a no-frills overview of all the announcements.

Apple's new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models were the star of the event with an overhauled look that includes an edge-to-edge display, no Home button, a TrueDepth camera system with Face ID, USB-C instead of Lightning, no headphone jack, and an A12 Bionic chip.

We also got some great new Mac updates, though, including a $1,199 MacBook Air with a Retina display, 8th-Gen Intel chips, faster solid state storage up to 1.5TB, much slimmer bezels, and a thinner, more refined chassis that takes up less volume.

There's also no forgetting the Mac mini, which got its first update in four years. The new model features quad and 6-core 8th-Gen Intel chips, up to 2TB of solid state storage, support for up to 64GB RAM, and a new Space Gray enclosure.

We've rounded up all of our coverage of today's event in the post below, so make sure to check out everything so you don't miss any of the updates.

iPad Pro

[*]Apple Reveals New 11-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Models With Slim Bezels and Face ID
[*]New 11 and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Models Have No Headphone Jack
[*]2018 iPad Pro Hands-On Impressions: 'Might Be the Truest Embodiment of a Tablet Yet'
[*]Apple Announces New Magnetic Apple Pencil Featuring Tap Gestures and Wireless Charging
[*]Apple Launches New USB-C Accessories for USB-C iPad Pro Models
[*]New Apple Pencil, Smart Keyboard Folio, and Smart Folio Accessories Now Up for Pre-Order
[*]Apple Pencil 2 Not Compatible With Older iPads and Original Apple Pencil Won't Work With New Models
[*]Apple's New iPad Pro Models Ship With 18W USB-C Power Adapter
[*]2018 iPad Pro With 1TB Storage Has 6GB RAM, Lower Capacities Have 4GB
[*]AppleCare+ for New iPad Pro Models Priced at $130, Out-of-Warranty Repairs Cost Up to $649
[*]Apple's New iPad Lineup, from Mini to Pro: $329 to $1,899
[*]MacRumors Hands-On Photos of Apple's New iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini
MacBook Air

[*]Apple Announces New MacBook Air With 13-Inch Retina Display and Touch ID
[*]Apple's New MacBook Air Features Impressive Battery Life That Bests MacBook and MacBook Pro
[*]2018 MacBook Air and Mac mini Hands-On: Long-Awaited Updates Don't Disappoint
[*]Apple Shares T2 Security Chip Guide Detailing Privacy Features 'Never Before Seen on Mac'
[*]Apple's New MacBook Air Uses MacBook-Class 5W Amber Lake Chips

Mac mini

[*]Apple Announces New Space Gray Mac mini With 4-Core or 6-Core Intel Processor and Up to 64GB RAM, Starting at $799
[*]A Maxed Out Mac Mini With Full Upgrades Will Cost You $4,200
[*]Apple Highlights Mac Mini Use in Live Concerts, Theater, and Data Centers
[*]Apple's New Mac Lineup, From Mini to iMac Pro: $799 - $13,199
Software Updates

These weren't part of the event, but Apple today released major software updates for iOS devices, the Apple TV, Macs, and the Apple Watch, which you won't want to miss out on.

[*]Apple Releases iOS 12.1 With eSIM Support, Real-Time Depth Control, Group FaceTime, New Emoji and More
[*]iOS 12.1 Includes Addresses Two Major iPhone XS/XR Issues: 'BeautyGate' and Cellular Connectivity Problems
[*]Apple Releases macOS 10.14.1 With Group FaceTime and New Emoji
[*]Apple Releases tvOS 12.1 Update for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV
[*]Apple Releases watchOS 5.1 With New Color Watch Faces and Updated Emoji
[*]Apple Updates Shortcuts App With New Weather, Alarm, Conversion and Photos Options
[*]PSA: Group FaceTime's Video Chat Not Available on Older iOS Devices
[*]watchOS 5.1 Update Bricking Some Apple Watches
Other Announcements

[*]Apple Online Store Lists Blackmagic eGPU 'Pro', Available Late November for $1,199
[*]Apple Quietly Announces AMD Radeon Pro Vega Graphics Options Coming to MacBook Pro
[*]Apple Quietly Eliminates Rose Gold 12-Inch MacBook
You can order the new iPad Pro models, the new Mac mini, and the new MacBook Air starting today from Apple's website, with deliveries set to begin on November 7.

Article Link: Everything Apple Announced Today in Just Six Minutes

Reactions: Vanilla35

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
$799 is all I had to hear to make my decision. After all, my 9.7 pro does everything I need it to do with ease. Could care less about face ID or USB C (especially when my iPhone 6s uses lightning cables to charge)

When I go out of town, I take one charger and one cable, charges both my iPad and my phone. And I also take one set of headphones that can plug into both devices. And if I forget my headphones, a cheap pair can be had at any dollar store.

Reactions: timeconsumer

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Busy day for Apple, happy day for me. Also good news for Mac Mini fans! I am seriously thinking of getting the new MacBook Air and iPad Pro. Yay!

Last edited:

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Not all.

There was no iPad Mini. There was no mention of new iMac Pros or Mac Pros. And I guess the HomePod 2nd gen is still under construction.

The 9.7" iPad is the new Mini. Expect iMacs and MPs in 2019.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
The new USB-C iPad has an 18-watt charger, and the 15" MBP has an 87-watt charger.

What would happen if you charged the iPad using the MBP charger?

Reactions: Kebabfar88

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Nice hardware but still hobbled by the OS. Where are VP9 YouTube hardware decoding, more computer replacement like features, mouse support, etc.?

Reactions: arkitect and 341328

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
The new USB-C iPad has an 18-watt charger, and the 15" MBP has an 87-watt charger.

What would happen if you charged the iPad using the MBP charger?
I’ve charged my iPad Pro with my 87W charger a few times. It will charge faster, but is harder on the battery over time.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Many dislike the Gen 3 KB now you can pay up to $199 for one that's not as good and has no TP or BL :rolleyes:

Mac mini about time, well done

MBA was the best MacOS or Windows combo ever now not so sure

Last edited:

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
The iPad Pro has a usb-c that replaced the lightning connector?!? Apple is moving away from proprietary charging cables!?! And no one is blown out of their ****ing minds by this?!
[doublepost=1540944967][/doublepost]Also, super sad about no AirPods =/

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Wrong.

Nothing bad will happen - the device being charged determines the power it receives, the power of USB-C. In fact, better to buy a USB-C 87W charger as a replacement no matter what Apple device you own.

Can't do the reverse - charge an 87W device with a 15W charger.

Yes, I was being comical. I charge my iDevices using my Mac's charger, however bad for the battery longterm.

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Nice hardware but still hobbled by the OS. Where are VP9 YouTube hardware decoding, more computer replacement like features, mouse support, etc.?
Mouse support? You have that. It’s called a Macbook.
Problem solved.

Normandy - sheppard

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
A wonderful day for Apple enthusiasts.

really ? no iMac updates, no mac book pro serious upgrades ? no iMac pro, mac pro? just a bunch of stuff apple neglected for years (like the mac mini) and expect people to get excited about it ? nope.

Ipad Pro, nice I guess, but a device I never would use, my iPad is just fine. Mac book air.. snooze.. and Mac mini... about time, 4 years late.. but still a snooze fest.. honestly never been so board with a apple product launch in years.

Reactions: Killa Aaron

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Yes, I was being comical. I charge my iDevices using my Mac's charger, however bad for the battery longterm.
Nonsense.
[doublepost=1540945780][/doublepost]
really ? no iMac updates, no mac book pro serious upgrades ? no iMac pro, mac pro? just a bunch of stuff apple neglected for years (like the mac mini) and expect people to get excited about it ? nope.

Mac pro, nice I guess, but a device I never would use, my iPad is just fine. Mac book air.. snooze.. and Mac mini... about time, 4 years late.. but still a snooze fest.. honestly never been so board with a apple product launch in years.
Bet you’ve said; never been so board with a apple product launch in years last september to.
Whiners, naggers, cry babies.

Reactions: WWPD

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
It was a good event. I'm glad all the people who wanted a new Mac mini finally got one. The Air is a nice update, makes the MacBook kinda useless now and the iPad looks great too, pricey, but really nice.

Reactions: 341328

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Hopefully 2019 will μ the the death of lightning. Soon all devices will be able to charge all devices.

Would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.