Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
really ? no iMac updates, no mac book pro serious upgrades ? no iMac pro, mac pro? just a bunch of stuff apple neglected for years (like the mac mini) and expect people to get excited about it ? nope.

Ipad Pro, nice I guess, but a device I never would use, my iPad is just fine. Mac book air.. snooze.. and Mac mini... about time, 4 years late.. but still a snooze fest.. honestly never been so board with a apple product launch in years.

Well, they'll never please everyone with one Keynote. Guess what, the devices you just mentioned, some people might not give a **** about them but were actually eagerly waiting for a new Mac mini, Air or iPad.

Keep in mind that they have different customers with different needs.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Nonsense.
[doublepost=1540945780][/doublepost]
Bet you’ve said; never been so board with a apple product launch in years last september to.
Whiners, naggers, cry babies.

Wrong side of the bed today too, huh!

Tone it down, this is not Yahoo! or Fox.

You don't have to live-up to your tag.

schmadrian

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
So the 20th anniversary of the product that essentially lifted Apple up and launched it towards the trillion-dollar company it is today apparently means f-a to Tim Cook, et al. If not a new iMac now, when? Before Xmas? Before June? I can't wait to hear the rationale behind leaving this product unrefreshed, without being upgraded. I feel like I've been dumped at the altar. Anyone who has any (sound, sarcasm-free) insight here, I'll buy you a round.

Normandy - sheppard

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
So the 20th anniversary of the product that essentially lifted Apple up and launched it towards the trillion-dollar company it is today apparently means f-a to Tim Cook, et al. If not a new iMac now, when? Before Xmas? Before June? I can't wait to hear the rationale behind leaving this product unrefreshed, without being upgraded. I feel like I've been dumped at the altar. Anyone who has any (sound, sarcasm-free) insight here, I'll buy you a round.

totally agree, iMac and iMac pro now feel like the old mac mini, so far left behind at a top end price, where are the latest processors, where is face id for iMac? where is a real grunty GPU, not some cut down rubbish from a laptop?

I have a 5 year old iMac, but I won't upgrade it, until such time as there is a real reason to move to it ! At the moment , Apple has left its iMac range to collect dust.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Amber Lake. Now it makes sense! This MacBook Air is much much weaker than the base 13” MBP. These are 7W CPUs with an Intel UHD 617 iGPU. I wonder if the HD6000 is better than this or around the same ballpark.

More powerful than the 12” MacBook but that’s about it. Those who want an affordable notebook on a budget should pickup an early-2015 13” in mint condition. That’s probably still the best value for the money. Crystalwell is actually pretty decent with that extra L4 cache.
[doublepost=1540946581][/doublepost]
totally agree, iMac and iMac pro now feel like the old mac mini, so far left behind at the top end price, where are the latest processors, where is face id for iMac? what a real GPU, not some cut down rubbish from a laptop? I have a 5 year old iMac, but I won't upgrade it, until such time as there is a real reason to move to it at the moment its left to collect dust.

iMac Pro is so far behind? On what planet? They will probably be refreshed by June. Besides it’s not like most people can afford those machines anyway. They’re not meant for regular customers.

iMacs don’t really need Face ID. Notebooks don’t either. While they can be single user devices, they’re often shared by family members.

Some people will never be satisfied no matter what. If you want a Threadripper or a desktop core i9 go build a damn PC.

P.S. You can’t imagine the amount of amateur video editors that complain about not seeing GPU acceleration in Premiere. Everyone thinks they need a 1080ti or RTX1080 and then they realize that they’re not even using features that are the ones the GPU accelerates! It’s just too funny.

Reactions: JOBS-3:16

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Why is the 12 inch MacBook more expensive than the new MacBook Air? Lol. Does it have any advantages?

The new MacBook Air had Touch ID, stereo speakers, an extra USB-C port, a faster processor and a larger screen. And $100 cheaper.

Reactions: raybo

Normandy - sheppard

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
Amber Lake. Now it makes sense! This MacBook Air is much much weaker than the base 13” MBP. These are 7W CPUs with an Intel UHD 617 iGPU. I wonder if the HD6000 is better than this or around the same ballpark.

More powerful than the 12” MacBook but that’s about it. Those who want an affordable notebook on a budget should pickup an early-2015 13” in mint condition. That’s probably still the best value for the money. Crystalwell is actually pretty decent with that extra L4 cache.
[doublepost=1540946581][/doublepost]

iMac Pro is so far behind? On what planet? They will probably be refreshed by June. Besides it’s not like most people can afford those machines anyway. They’re not meant for regular customers.

iMacs don’t really need Face ID. Notebooks don’t either. While they can be single user devices, they’re often shared by family members.

Some people will never be satisfied no matter what. If you want a Threadripper or a desktop core i9 go build a damn PC.

when you pay top end for a PC you expect TOP END specs, at the moment it's NOT. I have been using macs since 1994 , Apple has shown its contempt for the iMac line for some time... it wasn't updated for almost 2 years back in 2015... the late 2015 iMac wasn't updated in ages... then they refreshed it , but nothing ground breaking!

The iMac line (besides the iMac Pro) hasn't had any major breakthroughs or updates since it went to core 2 intel from G5's back in 2006.

Perspective is a good thing !

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Not all.

There was no iPad Mini. There was no mention of new iMac Pros or Mac Pros. And I guess the HomePod 2nd gen is still under construction.

The XS Max is your iPad Mini. The iPad Mini is a redundant product. Too small to be useful with the pencil and/or keyboard and too big to be as portable as an iPhone. It had its moment.

In fact the regular iPad can be considered the Mini right now at 9.7”. It’s also a bargain for $329 or $250 ish Black Friday. I may pick one up just for the price to replace my aging Air 1.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m really not sure I care for the way they just put the Touch ID in the palm of their hands, throw it away, and splatter paint on the ‘liquid retina’ iPad (apple makes excellent LCD’s, literally top notch, but I laugh at the euphemism_)

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
when you pay top end for a PC you expect TOP END specs, at the moment it's NOT. I have been using macs since 1994 , Apple has shown its contempt for the iMac line for some time... it wasn't updated for almost 2 years back in 2015... the late 2015 iMac wasn't updated in ages... then the refreshed it , but nothing ground breaking... in fact the iMac line (besides the iMac Pro) hasn't had any major breakthroughs or updates since it went to core 2 back in 2006.

Go back to the 90s. Apple has never offered bleeding edge specs. If you want that you need to go threadripper or Intel HEDT X. Even if they did you would complain that they’re asking 10 grand for it.
[doublepost=1540947019][/doublepost]
No magsafe .....
Why apple, why???

Because MagSafe died. It started dying in 2015 with the 1st 12” MacBook and Apple put the final nail in the coffin at the end of 2016 with the MBPs. Why would they have kept the MBA with a different charging system? I also believe the MagSafe port would make this MBA’s thickness impossible to achieve.

MagSafe was an amazing feature no doubt about it but USB-C is the superior charging solution. Maybe they will bring it back in the future which a USB-C based magnet adapter.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there a reasons the new Pros lost OIS and one less lens element?

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
when you pay top end for a PC you expect TOP END specs, at the moment it's NOT. I have been using macs since 1994 , Apple has shown its contempt for the iMac line for some time... it wasn't updated for almost 2 years back in 2015... the late 2015 iMac wasn't updated in ages... then they refreshed it , but nothing ground breaking!

The iMac line (besides the iMac Pro) hasn't had any major breakthroughs or updates since it went to core 2 intel from G5's back in 2006.

MacBook Air pricing is not top end. Top end starts around 2 grand and up. $1000 is the average mainstream price for a capable computer good enough for most people that do not need a really powerful machine for 3-4 years.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I'm pretty much OK with all of my existing equipment, so I won't likely be buying anything new. No laptop for me until the keyboards go back to how they were in 2012. Couple other comments:
Will the new Apple Pencil work with the old iPad Pro?
Would it have killed Apple to heed the feedback about the previous iPad keyboard and stick a row of function keys across the top...

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Disappointed by the event. £120 for the pencil, iPad Pro double the price of the standard iPad, £1200 for a"low cost" Mac. £800 for the cheapest MINI. Ridiculous. And they are now selling the Macbook with worse specs for more than the new air. Apple failed today.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017

This is also because most mainstream customers just are not buying desktops anymore. Not even all in ones. They’re buying either notebooks like the MB, MBA, MBP or Dell XPS/Inspiron, Surface Laptop/Pro, Chromebook or a tablet like an iPad Pro or a Windows alternative.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Hopefully 2019 will μ the the death of lightning. Soon all devices will be able to charge all devices.

Would be awesome.

why wasn't 2018 the end of lightning ? All the new iphones and ipads were all being developed around the same time. Couldn't they all be on the same page with USB-C ? The Xr just came out and has lightning, yet the new iPad Pro which is just coming out does not. What is the defense for this?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Looking forward for Mac Mini and new Air. Very affordable alternative to other Mac lines.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Disappointed by the event. £120 for the pencil, iPad Pro double the price of the standard iPad, £1200 for a"low cost" Mac. £800 for the cheapest MINI. Ridiculous. And they are now selling the Macbook with worse specs for more than the new air. Apple failed today.

The MacBook always had worse specs than the Air. Only the display was superior. Sure the MacBook had a USB-C port but since they’re USB 3.1 gen 1 they’re the same as a USB 3.0 type-A port from the old MBA. Same 5 Gbps speed.

The MacBook is just too small to fit a TB3 controller inside. Have you seen the logic board? It’s really tiny. About the size of an iPad Pro logic board.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
All these new products and not buying ANY

I feel better about my XR purch
Me too, I’m done after XR. This is from someone who loves iPad more than iPhone and owned pretty much every iPad except for iPad 4. I’ve pretty much soured on Apple these days. If it weren’t for privacy and security (or maybe false sense of security) I would’ve switch platforms this year.

Normandy - sheppard

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
why wasn't 2018 the end of lightning ? All the new iphones and ipads were all being developed around the same time. Couldn't they all be on the same page with USB-C ? The Xr just came out and has lightning, yet the new iPad Pro which is just coming out does not. What is the defense for this?

to make a trillion dollars :) LOL !

Reactions: Act3

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017

USB-C ports are thicker. They would require a brand new iPhone chassis. They weren’t ready to dump the still really fresh looking X design yet. They want to squeeze every last penny out of the R&D.

On the bright side, MBA fans should be glad they get Touch ID that the 13” Escape MBPs do not have. I suspect they will add this to the next base 13” MBP very early next year. Probably March.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.