Everything Everywhere Authorized to Offer UK's First LTE Service Ahead of Next iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by The Next Web, UK communications regulator Ofcom today announced that it has awarded permission to carrier Everything Everywhere to begin using its existing 1800 MHz spectrum to offer LTE and WiMAX services beginning on September 11.
In a statement on its website, Ofcom announced that it had approved Everything Everywhere's request to rebrand its 1800MHz spectrum to deliver 4G services from September 11, 2012, highlighting that as a result it would be able to deliver "significant benefits to consumers, and that there is no material risk that those benefits will be outweighed by a distortion of competition."
It will take some time for Everything Everywhere, which currently operates the Orange and T-Mobile brands in the UK, to roll out the service, but a number of of observers have already pointed out that the effective date comes just one day prior to Apple's all-but-confirmed media event to introduce the next-generation iPhone.

The current-generation iPad only supports LTE over 700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies, and Apple will need to support several other frequency bands if it wishes to support LTE service in major markets outside of the existing iPad compatibility in the U.S. and Canada. Just last week, Korean carriers reported that they were talking to Apple about supporting LTE service on their 800 MHz and 1800 MHz bands.

While Everything Everywhere is undoubtedly pleased by Ofcom's ruling giving it early permission to offer LTE service, The Verge notes that the carrier's competitors (Vodafone, Three and O2) are less enthusiastic as they look toward the UK's main auction of 800 MHz and 2600 MHz bands early next year, arguing that Everything Everywhere's advantage will distort the competitive landscape in the UK mobile market.

Article Link: Everything Everywhere Authorized to Offer UK's First LTE Service Ahead of Next iPhone

mattydodgy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
Lancaster, UK
Finally, some rumours that I actually care about and have an effect on me! Just hope O2 jump the gun early enough for me not to change carriers... This is great news.

I look forward to the day where I can cancel my broadband/cable and use my iPhone as a personal hotspot for all devices in the house. Running on LTE/4G will certainly be more beneficial than turtle pace Sky.

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden
This is great for the UK. But other countries already have functioning 4G networks. I just hope Apple gets it's **** together and finds a way to include compatibility for more than just the US this time around.

fullstop102

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
This can only be great news

This can only be great news for people in the UK. Also Orange and TMobile allow tethering as at the moment you have to pay extra on O2 for this service. Now if only they can get on board with the visual voicemail they will have the complete package.

fullfast

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Judging by the time it has taken them to secure a decent 3g service here...dont hold your breath........especially after I have heard that they are starting in "urban" environments.....dont they mean "as long as you are within 10 feet of a mast you may get 4g........otherwise it will still be the "patchy at best" 3g service Orange currently offer...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If their 4G coverage is as good as their 3G coverage, it'll be one hell of a network. I'm with Orange, and since the T-Mobile signal sharing, I've had 3-5 bars of 3G constantly. I'm really happy with them.

Just give us bloody Visual Voicemail.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
They should really set a world wide standard for LTE frequencies. Like GSM which has 850, 800, 900 and 1900MHz. We are going to get a soup of frequencies now, 700MHz, 2600MHz, 2100MHz, 1700MHz... And more to happen soon .....

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This is great for the UK. But other countries already have functioning 4G networks. I just hope Apple gets it's **** together and finds a way to include compatibility for more than just the US this time around.
They already did, but the carriers won't let them.

A Dutch company developed a sim cardless digital solution, i.e. you can program the phone to any country's requirements.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Pretty funny that it took this long. After the British dust-up over the 3rd Gen iPad and 4G/LTE support, they are actually getting an actual 4G/LTE provider? :p

How will the Brits ever figure out the choices for themselves? /sarcasm ;)

They should really set a world wide standard for LTE frequencies. Like GSM which has 850, 800, 900 and 1900MHz. We are going to get a soup of frequencies now, 700MHz, 2600MHz, 2100MHz, 1700MHz... And more to happen soon .....
Ain't sovereignty a beyatch?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This can only be great news for people in the UK. Also Orange and TMobile allow tethering as at the moment you have to pay extra on O2 for this service. Now if only they can get on board with the visual voicemail they will have the complete package.
O2 don't charge for tethering?! When I got my O2 sim with my 4S last year every contract (including sim only) allowed tethering as part of it.

If we have the infrastructure and wide enough network (like the US) I bet they would.

At the moment we have nothing. All EE have been granted is permission to use the existing frequency they have spare as part of their 4G network.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Meanwhile in Ireland 4G seems many many moons away.... :(

and we don't have T-mobile or Orange :( :(

Vodafone can barely deliver a 3G service here let alone 4.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
The same happened with umts/hspa. 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100, etc..

Even with GSM, it took a while until all phones were essentially quadband 800/850/900/1900.

Even worse now is there seems to be multiple blocks within 700 that weren't compatible.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Well this has tipped the balance in me getting the new iPhone, assuming the LTE works on T-Mobiles platform.

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
Also Orange and TMobile allow tethering as at the moment you have to pay extra on O2 for this service.
O2 eliminated the tethering charge over a year ago.

----------

Unfortunately it's hard to do this due to the different ways frequencies have been allocated and used in the various countries & regions. Frequencies that are available for use in some areas aren't available in others.

800/1800/2600Mhz will be the standard LTE frequencies throughout Europe, and most (but not all) other countries outside the Americas.

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Reading the comments from the telegraph and here, I find it interesting that the US is not the only place with backroom regulatory games. After years of reading here about AT&T and Verizon, I thought the UK and EU telco's were just perfectly organized harmony.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
o2 are testing 4G

If you were not already aware o2 already have a trial of 4G in place in central london.

They have also been testing 4G in and around slough along with various types of dongles and modems, and now they they have agreed a cell site deal with vodafone we should see things move quickly once OFCOM pull their fingers out.

I think whilst EE may be the first to say they have 4G, I do not have much hope for a speedy roll out.

http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2011/12/need-faster-mobile-broadband-o2-brings-superfast-4g-to-the-uk.html

JamesHP

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
I'm on T-Mobile so I'm happy about this. It's pretty much nailed on that I'll buy the next iPhone anyway so this is a bonus, I just hope it's going to support this band rather than catering solely for the US market.

Wouldnt get too excited folks. The mobile companies still cannot deliver a half decent 3G network with any decent speeds after all the years its been here in UK so I wont hold my breath about having a reliable fast 4G network. Itll probably be fast in and around London but for the rest of the country it will be a total failure like the 3G services. We are so behind the rest of Europe and the world when it comes to telecoms that its embarrassing.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
They already did, but the carriers won't let them.

A Dutch company developed a sim cardless digital solution, i.e. you can program the phone to any country's requirements.

its the radio chip. Qualcomm didn't have a single LTE/CDMA/HSPA+ radio chip and apple does not play the game of different specs for different carriers.

this year qualcomm should have a new radio chip that will work on every tech around the world

----------

Wouldnt get too excited folks. The mobile companies still cannot deliver a half decent 3G network with any decent speeds after all the years its been here in UK so I wont hold my breath about having a reliable fast 4G network. Itll probably be fast in and around London but for the rest of the country it will be a total failure like the 3G services. We are so behind the rest of Europe and the world when it comes to telecoms that its embarrassing.

impossible

i keep reading how the europeans are so far ahead of us americans in wireless tech

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Im in Suffolk and to be honest I do not have any issues with o2 speeds although I do hit a few black spots from time to time. I think the issue with networks is being able to get new cell sites. It seems everyone loves to use mobiles but do not want the cell towers to be able to work them. O2 & Vodafone have tried 3 times to get planning for one joint cell near my home. The reasons people give is saftey and radiation yet I saw the person who placed the biggest objection to a new mast near my home using her phone whilst driving -clearly to her and children in the back seat thats not dangerous :rolleyes: