Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 14 to developers for testing purposes, tweaking and refining some of the features that are coming in the update. Below, we've rounded up all of the changes that we found in the second beta.

- Calendar icon - There's a new Calendar app icon in iOS 14 beta 2, with the day of the week abbreviated rather than spelled out.

calendaricon.jpg

- Clock icon - The clock icon has also been slightly tweaked with a bolder font and thicker hour and minute hands.

clockappcomparison.jpg
New clock icon on left, beta 1 clock icon on right​

- Files widget - There's a new widget for the Files app that can be added to the Today View or the Home Screen.

filesappwidget.jpg

- Congestion Zones - Alerts are now provided in cities with congestion zones that charge tolls, such as London and Paris. There are also alerts for license plate restriction zones in countries that have license plate restrictions.

- Weather widget fix - The Weather widget has been fixed so it no longer shows Cupertino instead of current location.

- Reminders emoji - Emoji in Reminders lists have been redesigned.

remindersemoji.jpg

- Shortcuts - There's no longer an option to open .shortcuts files in the Shortcuts app.

shortcutsopenfile.jpg

- App Library - Apps downloaded to the App Library and not the Home Screen can now be deleted directly from the App Library. The "Remove" feature for other apps is now "Delete."

applibrarydelete.jpg

- HomeKit Favorites - The HomeKit favorites listed in the Control Center now feature larger icons for some people.

homekitcontrolcenter.jpg

- Music - A Music app setting allows animated cover art to be disabled. The Music app also no longer features a toggle for "Show Apple Music."

applemusicmotion.jpg

- Music haptics - Pressing the play, pause, next, and back buttons on the Now Playing screen in Apple Music provides haptic feedback.

- Family Sharing - There's a new icon for family sharing in the Settings app.

ios14familysharing.jpg

- Apple Pay - Apple Pay is now available in Mac catalyst apps.

- WiFi Privacy Warning - When connecting to a WiFi network that doesn't use Private Wi-Fi Address, Apple provides a warning message in the Settings app.

wifiwarning.jpg

- Control Center - Control Center now displays which apps have recently accessed the microphone or the camera.

controlcentermicrophonecameraprivacy.jpg

Have you found other changes not listed here? Let us know in the comments and we'll add them to the list.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 14 Beta 2: New Calendar Icon, Files Widget and More

Last edited:

MHenr

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Just updated. My current location weather widget still very much shows Cupertino instead of my city.
I think the release notes outline a process to fix.

You can set a fixed location by editing the widget.
That fixed it for me, but it's not changing when I'm traveling of course.

I haven't tried another method I read somewhere, so I can't vouch for it. But I guess it's worth a try.
Delete the widget from you home screen, go to the widget screen and that widget should show the correct location.
If you place that widget back, it appears to work.

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
Just updated. My current location weather widget still very much shows Cupertino instead of my city.

I had the same problem and now it is showing. I held down the widget to Edit it and changed it to current location. Then removed the widget and added it again. Finally update after a long blank widget.

I also changed location on Weather to While using app instead of never, not sure if this helped or not.

Edit: You will know when it is working, from the selection screen it should show your location before adding FWIW.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Same here. This issue has definitely *not* been fixed.

Eye Contact is now an option in FaceTime settings. Was this available in iOS 14 Beta 1?

It was in the iOS 14 feature list, but wasn't enabled in beta 1. Added it to the list, thanks!

Reactions: QuarterSwede

connormw

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2018
New York
Has anyone figured out how to change the default email and browser apps yet?

I browsed the settings on Beta1 but couldn't find anything. Not sure if they're delaying the roll-out or not.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
I don't know if this is new or not, but I'm now able to edit my third party widgets on the widget screen (I previously had some disappear).

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
It's available, and enabled by default, on my iPhone running beta 1.

Yeah, I'm seeing other references to it. Removed it from the beta list. I'm not sure why it doesn't show up on my current phone that has beta 1 installed, but it is an X so maybe just not available.

Reactions: bivalvegruff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.