Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Despite persistent rumors of MacBook Pro updates, we've yet to see the rumored Penryn, Multi-touch trackpad MacBook Pro revisions. However, there appears to be ongoing evidence that the MacBook Pro updates are imminent.

The current MacBook Pros which were released in June carry a system identifier label of "MacBookPro3,1". One reader notes that an application called MiniBatteryLogger provides public battery tracking logs, and recently revealed an entry with an identifier of "MacBookPro4,1". "MacBookPro4,1" is presumably the identifier for the unreleased MacBook Pro revisions. The author of the application states that the identifier is obtained automatically from the system, though there are no guarantees that it wasn't faked.

However, this same new "MacBookPro4,1" identifier has also found in the latest developer seeds of Mac OS X 10.5.2 from Apple. In contrast, the public version of Mac OS X 10.5.1 does not contain the "4,1" identifier.

In many ways, all this does is verify what we have presumed to be true... that MacBook Pro revisions are coming, and soon enough that the Mac OS X 10.5.2 will support them, but it's still somewhat reassuring for those waiting patiently for the new MacBook Pros.

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
A weak verification since it's easily faked. I just want to upgrade from my MacBook to a Pro now. :rolleyes:

Maybe we can expect 10.5.2 soon as well, again.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
"waiting patiently", indeed. Well, my 12" PowerBook has lasted me this long, it can hold out just a bit longer. :)

Actually, I had to buy a 20" iMac a while back when the PowerBook hard drive died, so I'm actually pretty well set. Still, if an updated 15" MBP is sufficiently tempting, I might sell one or the other.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
A weak verification since it's easily faked. I just want to upgrade from my MacBook to a Pro now. :rolleyes:

Maybe we can expect 10.5.2 soon as well, again.

It is a part of 10.5.2 however - that isn't fake.

arn

Comment

olliebraves20

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Lansing, MI
I'm looking at it like this, I've waited this long what is few more weeks or months. I would think however that it would be more like weeks. I just think they don't want it to complete with the new MacBookAir....

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i just want 10.5.2. i thought maybe we would get that yesterday, but i guess we can't get everything we want.. it would be cool to get the new mbp and 10.5.2 upgrade the same day though. can't wait to see if there are any surprises with the mbp or if we have guessed everything they are going to throw at us

Comment

jciapara

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Please!

Please I've waited long enough to replace my Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz, more than 4 years with it, now that I have the money I want to wait for the new revision!!

Comment

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm going to put "Patiently Waiting" by 50 Cent/Eminem on a continuous loop until the new MBPs are announced.

Comment

SwiftLives

Contributor
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Amateur prediction:

10.5.2 Friday (2/1)
New MacBook Pros Tuesday (2/5)

This is just based on the rumor frequency over the past few weeks.

Comment

iPhonePlaya

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
I think that the mbp updates will come out when apple releases the dev kits for the iPhone. They'll probably have some kind of event in "late" February (basically the last business day of February) I hope we get updates soon but I don't see them coming till after that so the MB Air has its time to shine

......patiently waiting

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
10.5.2 must be coming soon now surely?

We've been hearing about it for quite some time.

Comment

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
A redesign please ;)
I don't really want a redesign, or not much of one. I've been tempted to just go ahead and buy one of the refurbished MacBook Pros, but I want to wait a little bit longer and see if there's anything really must-have about the new models.

Comment

northwest

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
redesign now or later?

A redesign please ;)

first post here, just joined, been waiting for updates of mbp as well - as a near computer tech illiterate 2 questions - first is there any reason why, if there is a redesign, it would come rather now with the pennryn or later with the montevina chip update?

Also could anyone comment on how significant a change it would be with the montevina chip platform - and thus to wait for that if it is just a matter of a couple of month - ?

anybody care to comment?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.