Exchange is flawless

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bavarian3, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bavarian3 macrumors member

Just upgraded to 2.0 and wanted to test out the exchange client; flawless. Although if you are using the phone both as a personal and business, if you select contacts it will replace the current contacts you have on the phone... calendars work perfectly as well.

Just a heads up to people in the business realm.

2. colleyvillesoon macrumors member

I have sub folders under my inbox that emails are automatically routed too through rules. I have to click in every folder to see if I have emails from that person.

Any way around this, i.e. getting them to all update without clicking in each one?

3. bigtar macrumors member

4. JonboyDC macrumors regular

If your Outlook contacts overwrite your personal contacts on the iPhone, can you get the personal contacts back on the phone the next time you sync with the computer that has the personal contacts on it?

(I've been hoping that between Exchange support and MobileMe, I could finally get all of my contacts and calendars syncing up between my work Windows PC, my iPhone, and my home Mac.)

5. bavarian3 thread starter macrumors member

"If your Outlook contacts overwrite your personal contacts on the iPhone, can you get the personal contacts back on the phone the next time you sync with the computer that has the personal contacts on it?"

If you go into settings, mail, and scroll down to Import SIM contacts, I believe (I DID NOT TEST) that this will import your SIM (personal) contacts into your exchange contacts.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

with the way push e-mail seems to be working on iPhone 2.0 (=flawless), blackberry is dying a slow death!!

7. L3X macrumors 6502a

I just added all my personal contacts in with my business contacts on my Exchange account so everything is all together.

I was tired of having all these different contacts all over the place.

8. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Ok, my question is if we do not use SSL will that be an issue? I currently have a Sprint Touch and it works great OTA activesync. I have set it and many others up OTA and had no issues. I plan to buy my 3g tomorrow and wanted to know if there will be any hitches. I also like some others wonder if you have to have a Business Contract to access the Exchange function.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm wondering whether it really is flawless as you say. I've been sending myself test messages, and while I see them arriving in my Inbox, my iPhone with the new software is not buzzing right away to tell me there's a message.

Or am I missing something?

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's not supposed to be "instant"

Hit up this link at Gizmodo.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My experience in the past (with a Samsung Blackjack, pre-iPhone) was that "push" was instant. If I was at home, I'd hear my Outlook and my Blackjack make the "new mail" sound simultaneously. This is not happening for me now with my old iPhone with the 2.0 software and the SAME Exchange Server I used with my Blackjack.

I should not have to click into Mail to receive messages. But right now, that's exactly what I have to do. Is this an EDGE problem that will be solved when I switch to 3G, or is something not set up correctly?

12. ibrainch macrumors regular

you can have personal contacts and exchange contacts

i loaded up 2.0 and set it to sync to my exchange outlook contacts/email/calendar (which erased existing contacts) and then i went back and added turned on mobileme contact syncing and now i have both (different groups) on my phone. works great...

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

You could be right - what do I know?

Who cares about a few seconds, though?

It's funny though because I only realized yesterday that my university's mail system is through exchange, and that I get push e-mail on my mac at home! I tested it out and it's not instant but it's pretty fast. It just pops up in your inbox as opposed to you asking for new mail. Neat.

Problem is that I'm happy with my Gmail account and don't want to go through the hassle of switching to @me.com. Hopefully Gmail will come out w/ push e-mail soon enough...

14. L3X macrumors 6502a

Nice. Good to know.

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

16. ms2kj macrumors newbie

Not instant

Ok, I've been testing like most of you with Exchange environments and it is not instant nor is it in the 1 min range. If I touch the refresh button, it's pulls the messages, but the messages appear in "pull" speeds. (10-15mins) What gives? :confused:

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, right now we're not talking seconds. I'm talking no evidence that Push is working at all. The only time I seem to get mail on my iPhone is when I go into mail, or when a fairly long number of minutes has elapsed. It's behaving like it did before, where it only checked every 15 minutes.

I will do more research on this tonight, but right now I can tell that something isn't right in my particular case.

18. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

nice one for the heads up on this, was one of my big concerns :)

looks like ill be giving mobileme a go

19. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I don't even get the option to select contacts. As soon as I set it up it starts synching so beware. I resolved by putting all contacts into outlook...

There is also a delay in getting the mail pushed. Not a big one mind you but a delay. One other note: Subfolders don't synch with push which is the biggest Pain...

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

be patient everyone - im sure apple is working on it.

21. meglet macrumors member

meglet

There is a new option in the Settings menu for "Fetch." Make sure that Push is turned on, otherwise you will need to go into mail for it to check.

My iPhone has actually been getting mail BEFORE Outlook, which is pretty impressive.

22. afsandiego macrumors newbie

battery draining faster now??

has anybody noticed that the iPhone's battery drain much faster because of exchange?
    does your phone heats up????

23. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to use this so i can PUSH my Hotmail.co.uk emails to the iPhone?

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Will that put your personal contacts onto the exchange server for all to see? :D

25. Zengrok macrumors newbie

I don't have one yet, but based on my experience with a Palm 700w, push exchange is quite a bit better on the battery than fetch. A fetch account will drain your battery much quicker.