Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a support document suggesting that the continuing MobileMe email outage affecting 1% of MobileMe users is due to a "serious" issue with one of their mail servers. Affected users have been unable to send or receive email since the tumultuous MobileMe transition began over 5 days ago.

We understand this is a serious issue and apologize for this service interruption. We are working hard to restore your service.

Apple has already sent out up to two apology emails to MobileMe customers regarding the rocky transition. Apple has not given a time estimate on when the remaining issue will be resolved.

Article Link

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
well hopefully they will get it fixed soon...

perhaps they should have done more testing?

damn you, you beat me.,...

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Interesting - I'm sending and receiving emails, but I've had several hour delays in getting emails (they come with the correct time stamp - just hours late) and I've been unable to send from the web-based page on at least one occasion. Seems like there are some significant technical difficulties even for those of us who do have "functional" mail. Hopefully, it will all clear up soon.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
well hopefully they will get it fixed soon...

perhaps they should have done more testing?

catastrophic server failure isn't something you can really test, however it does make me wonder how good their mail infrastructure is if they don't have failover systems. Also, don't they know of things called backups? They should just go to another server and restore from backup :rolleyes:

agbot

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Silicon Valley
At this point, I hope those 1% of people receive a third apology letter that includes a full year of MobileMe credited to their accounts. One day is a pain, two days sucks... and now 5+? It's not like Apple is a mom-and-pop ISP.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
How do people get these apology emails if the mobile me mail isn't working?

That said, I haven't had any problems beyond the caning it got on July 12. email is fine, photo gallery is great, calendar could do with real push, but OK.

But agree, time to get your act together apple.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Yeah, it has been pretty frustrating not having access to my main e-mail address for five days now. IT REALLY SUCKS.

Oh well, I spent the time and wrote a nice letter which I'm sending via snail mail. Probably won't do a thing, but it gave me something to do.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
1% is 5000 people or more. no mention of the intermittent and slow email i have.

why can't they just replace the beige G3 they must be using with an old used G4 from ebay. that should fix it.:rolleyes:

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Yeah, it has been pretty frustrating not having access to my main e-mail address for five days now. IT REALLY SUCKS.

Oh well, I spent the time and wrote a nice letter which I'm sending via snail mail. Probably won't do a thing, but it gave me something to do.

Yeah, Worst Case is that we all have to start sending Snail Mail letters to each other.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I view this official Apple release as indicative that 1% of Apple hosted content is at risk of total loss.

Some day fairly soon, I hope Apple gets to sufficient back-up and fail-over, they can promise and deliver 0.0001% risk like most server companies have for over a decade.

It is a marginal cost increase, and of great value to their business model of wanting to serve potentially essentially ALL consumers and enterprises.

One has to be able to rely on their service provider if that SP claims to be the bosom, as Apple does.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.