'ExtraMagic' for Magic Trackpad: 3/4 Finger Gestures & More - Now in Windows!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r, Feb 28, 2015.

1. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@sucaj: Thank you for the feedback! As for the site, it is not down. The correct address is http://extramagic.forbootcamp.org

Yes, the ExtraMagic driver component is the part of the so called Bluetooth HID stack, thus it does not work via USB (however, even via USB, all Apple-provided mousing features of the Magic Trackpad 2 still work, only the ExtraMagic-specific gestures for 3 and 4 fingers do not).

2. sucaj macrumors newbie

For the record, it's working fine now, but your site was indeed down 1-2 days.

3. Riff_Al macrumors newbie

4. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

Please try to open it by pasting the address at www.newipnow.com , this proves it in general works over the world... Not sure why not available to you, sorry.

5. Riff_Al macrumors newbie

Yes, it works! I choose server in France.

6. alexwhittemore macrumors newbie

alexwhittemore

Has anyone gotten ExtraMagic to work on a Surface Pro 4? I've tried a couple times, most recently with the update from yesterday (v13 april 6, 2017), but I never get past "driver error" in bluetooth devices and "Can't communicate with driver, try rerunning installer step 2."

7. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@alexwhittemore: Unlike the Macs which are running Windows via Boot Camp, the Microsoft's Surface series has a 'Secure Boot' EFI/BIOS setting, and it's enabled by default... So, there are two options for Surface & ExtraMagic: either disable the 'Secure Boot' option in EFI settings, or become an official supporter of the project, such people can already access the Microsoft-cross-signed driver component of ExtraMagic (it solves this problem for entire Surface series). For exact details, please consider contacting the support email. Thank you.

8. alexwhittemore macrumors newbie

alexwhittemore

Oh is that really it? I figured I'd get some kind of indicative security error if that was the source of issue. You should totally mention that on the website! Actually I'm not even sure I remember where I read about the signed driver version - If I'd known that would enable my situation without disabling secureboot, I'd have donated immediately :). I'd probably have tried disabling secureboot, too :p

9. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@alexwhittemore: Thank you for the feedback, and for supporting the development!! I read in email that you got the ExtraMagic gestures running properly, great :)

10. alexwhittemore macrumors newbie

alexwhittemore

Yes indeed, so happy that was the only problem! One suggestion - the two finger scrolling speed on the magic trackpad is about 10x the speed of the built-in trackpad on the surface type cover. To compensate for poor scrolling speed in Chrome, I've always set the "choose how many lines to scroll each time" to 10 in "mouse and touchpad settings," but if I do this now, the magic trackpad scrolls way too fast. I'd love a control to match them better.

11. xxtraloud macrumors newbie

@V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r fantastic! I was finally able to make this work with 1st gen trackpad on my laptop with the internal bluetooth card in the intel ac7265! Now the problem is that I see a watermark with Test Mode on my desktop which I think it's due to the unsigned driver. Do you have a signed driver?

The other question I have is if I can assigned a keyboard shortcut to a gesture, for example ctrl+tab to cycle through browser tabs. I am stocked about finally being able to use this trackpad properly!

12. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@xxtraloud: Send any key combination with gesture - already possible with the help of ExtraMagic 'Run Application...' feature for each gesture. There exists such free tool: AutoHotkey. With it, you can produce executable files which imitate any combination you need. These .exe files are called compiled scripts, but the tool is overall very simple, and definitely can be used by non-developers.
    Cross-signed driver component has become available, please contact me via email for details.
    And thank you for the feedback, so Intel ac7265 works, great!

13. Saksala macrumors newbie

Hello,

I can't get the forward/back swipe commands to work. For example when I set 4 finger swipe left to any other command except forward/back it works, only forward and back commands don't.

14. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@Saksala: Do you use a mouse with Macbook, maybe from Microsoft or Logitech? People who have such mice wrote us few times that the back/forward navigation via ExtraMagic gesture was not available. Removing the mouse software, such as the Logitech SetPoint helped to restore the ExtraMagic back/forward gesture.

15. Saksala macrumors newbie

I will try that when I get home (I had all in one Microsoft media keyboard before). Are you aware your website is blocked by Fsecure? Why is that?

16. Saksala macrumors newbie

Removed Microsoft mouse and keyboard center and forward/back works like a charm. I'm using Apple trackpad and keyboard from couch to control non-Apple PC connected to my TV. My life is finally complete.

17. BRINKwerks macrumors newbie

"the ExtraMagic driver component is the part of the so called Bluetooth HID stack, thus it does not work via USB"
    """""""""""""""""""""
    trying to set up EM for TP2 on a new Win10 laptop, did step 1 bootcamp driver install, but no go w/step 2, bluetooth stops recognizing the TP2, says driver prob. tried properties in Device Mgr, looked ok, still no gesture support. is this fixable or return it? got 15 days. thanks.

18. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@BRINKwerks: One thing which is not needed for Boot Camp (Macs) to make the ExtraMagic work, but might be needed for some recent PCs is a 'Secure Boot' EFI/BIOS setting. So please try to find such setting and disable it, then try to reinstall the Step 2 of ExtraMagic setup. If this is not the case, then maybe your laptop's Bluetooth is not compatible.

19. AKrav47 macrumors newbie

Just got the software, seems to be working pretty well with my Windows PC. Just a couple of freezes of the pointer for some reason. Also, any plans to add the feature to wake up your pc with a click?

20. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@AKrav47: Thank you for the feedback! Waking up the computer with a click: something we want to add, but so far no luck to enable such Magic Trackpad feature in Windows 10. As for the occasional freeze of the pointer, one very simple workaround is to perform a physical click. Then instantly the sensitivity should become the same as usual.

21. dAKirby macrumors newbie

dAKirby

@V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r I just bought a Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy USB Adapter on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q45EF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because you said it worked with the Magic Trackpad since my built-in bluetooth radio is apparently incompatible (Intel model). Every time I go through the installation process and the computer restarts, it says "cannot communicate...." and the Magic Trackpad has a "driver error" and does not work until I re-install the Apple-provided driver you're supposed to install. I've tried several times. Please help.

22. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

One thing which is not needed for Boot Camped Macs to make the ExtraMagic work, but is needed for some PCs is a 'Secure Boot' EFI/BIOS setting. So please try to find such setting and disable it, then try to reinstall the Step 2 of ExtraMagic setup.
    Yes, the Bluetooth dongle you got is working fine, as it uses the Broadcom solution. In theory, any other dongle using the Broadcom chipset will also work (Macs have such chipset).

23. dAKirby, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

dAKirby macrumors newbie

dAKirby

Ah, yes. There we go, thanks! I forgot about doing that. I did it back when I first tried it with my built-in Bluetooth but I re-enabled it after it didn't work.

One thing I am disappointed about is, there is apparently no pinch-to-zoom ability. :( That is one of the big reasons I got a Magic Mouse.

Also, how difficult would it be to implement custom keyboard commands to certain gestures? Or more options for gesture swipes like minimize individual apps, etc.?

24. V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r thread starter macrumors 6502

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

@dAKirby: Thank you for the feedback!

Home page of the project has the fair description, so there should be no disappointment. Everything works exactly as described (quote below):
    An ExtraMagic is the long-awaited solution which serves as Control Panel for both Magic Trackpads, puts the drivers
    to PC or Boot Camp, and, most importantly, enables 3-finger / 4-finger gestures in Windows 8 / 10, as following:

* 3-finger dragging, 3-finger tap, 3-finger horizontal and vertical swipes.

* 4-finger tap, 4-finger horizontal and vertical swipes.

These ExtraMagic gestures are highly configurable. In fact, now you get more customizations in Windows than in OS X.

Note: 1-finger and 2-finger operations are still handled by a stock Boot Camp driver

Second question was about the custom keyboards shortcuts or custom actions. This can already be achieved: you can use the well-known "AutoHotkey" tool with ExtraMagic 'Run application..." feature for each 3/4-finger gesture. All you need is assign a file with AutoHotkey script. This really works, you can assign any key combination through AutoHotkey this way. And it's not too cryptic, there are many tutorials on the AutoHotkey topic. Maybe 'compiled AHK script' sounds too professional, but in reality it's simple and is used by a big community of normal users, not developers. This is the already existing way to enhance the ExtraMagic can with any keyboard shortcut for any custom 3/4-finger gesture one can imagine.

25. dAKirby, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

dAKirby macrumors newbie

dAKirby

@V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r I understand about what it says on the homepage, but I just figured that since left and right clicking and two-finger gestures such as secondary click and scrolling are so standard on trackpads, I (in my opinion, logically) supposed that pinch-to-zoom would also work, since it is also so commonplace. Therefore, I was disappointed that it is apparently not possible. Is it not possible to implement this?

Thanks for suggesting AutoHotkey, but I was hoping to avoid using it. Though it might be what I'll have to use after all.

Also, another problem is occurring. Several times, I have had issues getting ExtraMagic to work properly. It has, at times, worked at first but then stopped working ("cannot communicate with ExtraMagic"/those 3 and 4-finger guestres simply don't work). I've had various issues such as, every time I try and fix the "cannot communicate" issue, I have to re-configure my gesture settings again. I've had to do so several times so far. It simply isn't working reliably. Also there seems to be some very noticeable lag issues with it the first couple minutes upon signing into my PC, then its connection appears to be more stable.