iPhone X Face ID is crap....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaramoosh, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Yes, you described exactly what I am seeing. Many times, I don't see this though and it goes directly to the home screen. Thanks for letting me its normal.

2. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Honestly I already knew all this when I received the phone on launch day. I read that it was 2 steps. As I'm looking at the phone I'm swiping up so it's only a second or two and seems like one step. Also I don't have to tap to wake up the phone. When I hold up my iphone X, the screen turns itself on. Research before you buy...

3. Raist3001, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017

Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Honestly, did you read my entire post? o_O

4. newellj macrumors 603

Well, bear in mind that my sample size is limited (two phones, actually, but still very small). ;)

5. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Why are you tapping it? I simply pickup my phone and swipe up. Nothing more to it.

6. fred98tj macrumors 6502

For example, when I have my phone lying face up on the table in front of my sofa while watching tv, I can simply lean over a little to reach the phone, tap it and swipe up and bingo I’m in. Sometimes I just want to check something without picking it up.
    FaceID has been flawless for me.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2017 ---
    I do have raise to wake enabled so when I do pick up my phone I simply swipe and bingo I’m in.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I actually like the fact that you have to swipe up to unlock the phone. Before having the X I moaned about there being occasions where I just wanted to check my notifications but didn’t want to unlock my phone. Well having to swipe up allows me to do that because if I don’t want to unlock my phone I simply don’t swipe up.

8. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I can agree with this, but with the pre-X phones there was an option in the menu (press to unlock) that did exactly what you were looking for. With the X, we lost the ability to select how we want it (unless it was recently added, and I missed it). I would prefer to swipe down after if I want notifications, as 99% of the time, my unlocking needs are to see messages/emails (which for HIPAA reasons, I do not show in the notification screen) so it adds an extra stem for my workflow.

9. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

I have an iPhone 5S, 6S, 7 Plus and X in front of me and I can tell you that FaceID is a bit faster and much more reliable than the 5S. The 5S (and iPad Mini 4) half of the time don't work, the X only doesn't work when lying on a table 50cm away from me. For me they rate like this in speed (how fast it unlocks or registers) and reliability (how often it fails):

1. 7 Plus
    2. X
    3. 6S
    4. 5S

I rated the X higher than the 6S just because I have more fails on the 6S than the X which to me is more annoying than speed. Because all the milliseconds won with the speed is lost tenfold when it doesn't register my finger.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I have to admit that I only used the 5S for 28 days. The next time I tried Touch ID was on my 6 plus.

11. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Because I have the wonderful rare opportunity in which apple allows me a choice, and I choose not to have my phone wake every time I pick it up. Tapping my screen does not slow me down.

12. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

??? Yet the other poster highlighted that tapping does slop it down and 'counts' it as an extra step. You say it isn't? In my experience it is, and it is an unnecessary step...

13. newellj macrumors 603

Agree. I understand that RtW is convenient, but it's also a battery-killer for some of us. I'd rather tap to wake.

14. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Um.....Yea......I said it does not slow me down. If it slows you down, then well you should toggle RTW on. See there. Everybody wins :)

15. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I check notifications on my 7 without unlocking the phone. This feature on the X is not new.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I’m not saying it’s new. The point I was making is that if the iPhone X only required you to look at it before it opened and went to the home screen you would miss your notifications. Before I got the X I was complaining saying that on my 7 plus I can have the screen on and see my notifications on my lockscreen without unlocking the screen.

So what I’m saying is that because you have to also swipe up as well as look at the phone, if I don’t want to open it and just check my notifications on the lockscreen I can.

17. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

With the 7, you could unlock the phone, and not press the home button to see notifications that were behind the lock screen. If they added a switch to the X like the prior phones, everyone would be happy. You would have your swipe up to jump to home, and those of us who want to jump right to the home screen would have an option to do so.

18. newellj macrumors 603

I may be a moron. I used this all the time on my iPhone 7 (which is still here because I still haven't really decided about the X), but have never been able to get the same access to notifications with the X. I've been through the settings quite a few times and had people post their settings here at MR, and I cannot get them to do notifications the same way.

19. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

I'm confused. If I tap to wake my X, I will see that I have notifications but will not be able to read them until I look at my X to unlock. Then the notifications expand so I can read them. If I then swipe up, i get to the home screen.

20. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

If anyone says that Face ID is more reliable or convenient than Touch ID is fooling themselves. There are some instances where it IS, but a majority of situations nothing can beat a simple fingerprint unlock that works in almost any possible situation your in.

This is a case where the tech and security is superior, but every day convenience its a step back.

Also not saying I don't like it, or don't appreciate the added screen real-estate, since that out-weights the inconvenience, but from purely a convenience standpoint TouchID > FaceID.

21. newellj macrumors 603

You're not as confused as I am. The email notifications appear and immediately disappear. Message notifications are persistent. *BOTH* have identical settings in Settings. They should behave the same; they do not. To get a look at email notifications, I have to fully unlock the phone then swipe down from the upper LH corner.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---

Wrong, they're not fooling *anyone.* You may think they're wrong. Your experience may be that FID is faster or more reliable. That doesn't mean that TID isn't better and faster for them.

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If FaceID is crap . . . . well this crap works very well for me. I do not even have to think about it and by the time I swipe up, it has already unlocked. Some may not like this but it is all there is for the iPhone X. Apple will not be changing it.

23. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

My email notifications behave the same way as messages. They expand once I look at my phone. I get a preview I can then read. If I touch the preview, I am taken directly to the email app. I don't think I understand fully what is not happening for you? Do you have your email notifications configured to show on lock screen? And show previews when unlocked checked?

24. ac921ol macrumors 6502

I was one of the people, that hated the no Touch ID and no ear jack.

I just got my X 2 days ago, and no Touch ID hasn’t bothered me as much I was making myself think it would.

Face ID has been spot on 99% of the time.

No earphones has not bothered me one bit. (I do have free AirPods on the way, thank you ATT) so that might help with that.

The notch does bother be some, but small price to pay for me, to have a superior phone. Had a 6s before this.

So far, I’m very happy with it. And that goes for Face ID

25. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Been using face ID since the day I got iPhone X. The number of times I have to enter passcode while on bed at night is staggering. I hate that one thing. It's good when using it normally but while on bed , I have to enter passcode 6/10 times. I wish we had touchID too. We dont. It is what it is.