iPhone X Face ID is crap....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaramoosh, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I have no problem opening with Face ID in bed as long as I don't hold the phone too close to my face. I read somewhere that people tend to hold their phones too close to their face while in bed, blocking Face ID from working.

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I am a side/abdomen sleeper and use phone while lying that way and it just wont identify my face. Kind of annoying :(

3. UnifiedMelody macrumors member

UnifiedMelody

FaceID when using safari is freaking amazing and fluid and simple. Period, go ahead and argue with me, but you gotta see FaceID in safari when it comes to multitudes of passwords and usernames/emails, that alone is a dealbreaker to me [goodbye to remembering passwords]

just one of the many thing i liked about iPhone X...

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Agreed. The password function is a great feature.

5. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I’m trying to think how this was different on previous iPhone because I didn’t have to type in passwords as they were saved in my iCloud Keychain.

6. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

They weren’t secured though. So anyone who had your phone and when it was unlocked could then continue to use those passwords. Well that is how it worked if I recall it correctly.

7. Shanghaichica, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Ok thanks. Yes I’ve noticed the Face ID icon coming on anytime I log into a website.

Yes you are right. I remember talking my iCloud password out of iCloud chain in case anyone had access to my phone unlocked.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah passwords and how it works is awesome. Certainly when I use so many passwords and most I can never remember.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

iCloud Keychain is a life saver. I also don’t remember most of my passwords. The only ones I have saved as locked notes are my banking ones just in case I ever need them but I can log in with Face ID.

I remember the other day my husband wanted to log into our virgin media account and asked me if I knew the password and asked me to type it into his note 8. I said I didn’t know it but if we log in on any of my Apple devices we can log in because it’s saved on there.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think that's part of where Face ID could improve, is different postures of someone laying down and where their face relaxes where the sensors are not actually reading the face because of this. So perhaps Face ID can be experimented with more facial positions when laying down.

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I can get Face ID to work whilst lying on my side but I have to lift my head up from the pillow.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There are so many different positions and everybody's faces are different, it's not possible for Face ID to meet every expectation uniformly. I do think this is something that can be improved upon, as many seem to openly discuss the inconsistency when laying down.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Oh it will only get better with time. However as a first generation it’s works really well. I was really apprehensive because I’d tried facial recognition and iris scanning on the note 8 and had to switch them off and use the fingerprint scanner because they were unreliable and annoyed me. I’m not having any such problems with Face ID. It works about 90% of the time and even when it fails it’s actually quicker to just try it again than to put in my passcode. It always works on the second go if it’s failed the first time.

14. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

15. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

They were secure with Touch ID. One had to provide Touch ID authentication before being able to access iCloud Keychain.

16. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It wasn't really secure as it is now (not sure if it requires touchID now), any website you go to that has your saved password as auto fill in, would auto fill in without requiring a touchID. So if you unlocked the phone and handed it to anyone, they could get into your websites. Now, each time it auto fills, it validates the user prior.

17. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

IMPORTANT TIP!

Raise to Wake to trigger a rescan. I prefer this over typing in my passcode.

If Face ID Fails: Lay the phone parallel to the floor and then raise back to your face to trigger a rescan.

the hassle entailed is not more cumbersome than wiping the TouchID sensor on pre X iPhones.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

By the time I’d done that I could have a entered my passcode.

19. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Try it before you knock it ;)
    Especially useful when you are surrounded by prying eyes.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Oh believe me I usually try Face ID a second time and it is quicker than putting in my passcode but I don’t put it down and pick it up again.

21. betwixtwords macrumors newbie

Zero problems with Face ID. The only time I've put in my passcode is after restart updates. Love everything about it.

Also no problem with bluetooth headphones of various types.

22. pedrowerner macrumors regular

pedrowerner

Instead of raising to wake you can just swipe the home indicator or drag it up then down again and face id will have another try.

23. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Don’t put it down. Just let it lay back on your hands parallel to the floor then quickly back up to face you again.

24. Award87 macrumors newbie

Award87

--- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2017 ---
    I totally agree. Worst rushed product Apple has ever made. You can see glimpses of the future of smart phones but this device is far from polished. Face ID works great for auto fill and signing into apps. Except when you have to inexplicably double tap the sleep wake button to activate it I.E. for app purchases. When it works it’s magic, too bad for me it only works about 65% of the time. I run beta software on older devices to always see what is on the horizon but for my daily driver I don’t want to feel as if I’m beta testing an entire phone.

25. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

Wonder what you are doing wrong? Mine works flawlessly. I also disagree about your statement of worst rushed product, it just plain works all the time for me and my wife, we both have an X. I think you must be doing something wrong.