Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
polarized lenses are not the problem... i have 3 pair of polarized and each one works fine. some lenses just filter more IR

"It turns out that polarization isn’t the issue — I have a set of polarized sunglasses that work just fine with Face ID. What it is is that different lenses have a different amount of infrared filtration. Most let enough IR through that through most lenses your eyes are visible to IR even if they’re not visible to the human eye" Craig Federighi

I have a pair of polarized Cocoons, old people sunglasses, lol. FID works with them and a ball cap 100%.

And, unless iPhone is sideways, it works in the dark. ie the bedroom---

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Everytime I am walking around and try to unlock the device, it does not even recognise a face. The lock stays put and nothing happens. I think I would have to bring the phone closer to my face, for it to detect I am in front of it. Which makes the whole process unnatural!

Reactions: Glideslope

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Everytime I am walking around and try to unlock the device, it does not even recognise a face. The lock stays put and nothing happens. I think I would have to bring the phone closer to my face, for it to detect I am in front of it. Which makes the whole process unnatural!
Mine works fine at arms length.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014

If my iphone is in hand and hanging at my side, once I get it waist high in front of me it unlocks.

The only improvement I would want would be to unlock it if laying on side in bed. Were iPhone is also side ways. Would like landscape Home Screen too.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Hard to read comments from folks who lay blame on the user when a magical feature from apple does not seem to be working properly. Nothing will work 100 percent for everyone and its not too hard to understand why. FaceID in its current form in my opinion is a beta product. No one should have to re-scan their face multiple times to get better reads. I never had to re-scan my fingerprints. I love what FaceID offers, I love what it can do.....when it works. TouchID was so much more reliable for me. Thing is, I never had to think about unlocking my iPhone with TouchID. A wet finger is so rare, it really is not worth mentioning at all. With FaceID, if my X fails to unlock, I need to re-think how to re-position my phone. That's annoying. My success rate is about 80-85 percent. With TouchId my success rate was 99 percent. Accounting for the one percent of times I had a wet finger. I am greatly looking forward to generation 2 of FaceID which is rumored to be in the next iPhone. this is not a rant against FaceID. I want FaceID to succeed. Right now its a beta feature.
A wet finger is so rare? Really?
Don’t you wash your hands after a visit to the toilet?
Don’t you ever clean your car or water your garden?
Don’t you cook?
Never walk in the rain?

All of the above are pretty ordinary activities I’d say. I could go on regarding boating, surfing, skiing etc but granted that is a lot less common.

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
I think all the complainers and haters should just go buy a non Face ID phone. YOUR problem is solved. Those of us who have embraced it and it is working fine for won’t have to listen to your rants.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don’t you cook?
Never walk in the rain?

All of the above are pretty ordinary activities I’d say. I could go on regarding boating, surfing, skiing etc but granted that is a lot less common.

Its not that it's 'Rare.' You could list 500 different scenarios where peoples hands are wet, the reality is, it's called common sense that people tend to dry their hands off before they touch their phones as it is. Touch ID may not work efficiently with a wet or damp finger, but nor is it entirely practical for somebody to handle their iPhone with completely wet hands either without using some logic.

Every situation is different. I don't know too many people that actually Touch their smart phones with completely wet hands versus having a damp finger to unlock their iPhone with touch ID. Its a natural reaction where others try to dry their hands off before they touch electronics, Regardless, results will vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raist3001

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
I live in a very hot and humid place so my fingers are almost (when outside) a little damp and damp enough that TouchID would usually fail unless I rubbed my thumb on my pants first. FaceID works perfectly for me.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Its not that it's 'Rare.' You could list 500 different scenarios where peoples hands are wet, the reality is, it's called common sense that people tend to dry their hands off before they touch their phones as it is. Touch ID may not work efficiently with a wet or damp finger, but nor is it entirely practical for somebody to handle their iPhone with completely wet hands either without using some logic.

Every situation is different. I don't know too many people that actually Touch their smart phones with completely wet hands versus having a damp finger to unlock their iPhone with touch ID. Its a natural reaction where others try to dry their hands off before they touch electronics, Regardless, results will vary.
I’d love to dry my hands off on my dog walks in the U.K. Or off my surfboard in Australia or Cornwall. Reality is there are many not to wild scenarios where it is just not practical to dry your hands fully.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Hard to read comments from folks who lay blame on the user when a magical feature from apple does not seem to be working properly. Nothing will work 100 percent for everyone and its not too hard to understand why. FaceID in its current form in my opinion is a beta product. No one should have to re-scan their face multiple times to get better reads. I never had to re-scan my fingerprints. I love what FaceID offers, I love what it can do.....when it works. TouchID was so much more reliable for me. Thing is, I never had to think about unlocking my iPhone with TouchID. A wet finger is so rare, it really is not worth mentioning at all. With FaceID, if my X fails to unlock, I need to re-think how to re-position my phone. That's annoying. My success rate is about 80-85 percent. With TouchId my success rate was 99 percent. Accounting for the one percent of times I had a wet finger. I am greatly looking forward to generation 2 of FaceID which is rumored to be in the next iPhone. this is not a rant against FaceID. I want FaceID to succeed. Right now its a beta feature.

I didn't just lay blame on the user, I said it could either be an incorrect setup or non accurate (or even defective) hardware. It's fairly easy to incorrectly setup TouchID too (I've seen how my brother did it on his first iPhone).

Many many users have to re-scan their fingerprints after weeks/months because it seems to get less accurate over time (while FaceID is the other way around as it learns every time you unlock and gets more accurate). I have a iPhone 5S, 6, 6S, 7 Plus and iPad Mini 4 and only the 7 Plus has a very high success rate for me. But on all these devices my left thumb always has a success rate of lower than 50%. Also, TouchID on the 5S, 6 and Mini 4 at this moment feels like it's barely working and slower than FaceID. If FaceID is a beta product, to me TouchID is just as beta. OK, I haven't tried the 8 yet, but FaceID to me is almost as good as the iPhone 7's TouchID (and in some cases more convenient and therefore better).

Obviously everyone's experience is different and many factors are in play. If I had a bad experience with FaceID I would probably be complaining on the forums here too. But lucky for me it works better and is more enjoyable than TouchID (in my specific case).

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I think all the complainers and haters should just go buy a non Face ID phone. YOUR problem is solved. Those of us who have embraced it and it is working fine for won’t have to listen to your rants.
For as long as you're on the internet, you WILL deal with the rants. :D

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Don’t you cook?
Never walk in the rain?

Don't you dry your hands after washing them after a visit to the toilet?
Don't you dry your hands after washing your car or watering your garden?
Don't you wipe clean your hands when cooking before touching your phone?
Never use an umbrella when its raining?

All of the above is pretty ordinary reactions to being wet.
So for me a wet finger is an extremely rare occurrence not worth mentioning.

I didn't just lay blame on the user, I said it could either be an incorrect setup or non accurate (or even defective) hardware.

It just seems easier for many folks in many situations to blame the user as opposed to a feature from apple that does not always work well. FaceID is Generation 1. This years second generation should be so much better. And I look forward to it.

Many many users have to re-scan their fingerprints after weeks/months because it seems to get less accurate over time (while FaceID is the other way around as it learns every time you unlock and gets more accurate).
Not me. I never had to re-scan my fingerprint, nor did my iPhones become less accurate over time. I never faced this problem, but totally understand and accept that others may have.

Obviously everyone's experience is different and many factors are in play. If I had a bad experience with FaceID I would probably be complaining on the forums here too. But lucky for me it works better and is more enjoyable than TouchID (in my specific case).

Totally agree. It just becomes a bit boring when others are shouting down the real problems other folks face simply because the issue does not happen to them.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Don't you dry your hands after washing them after a visit to the toilet?
Don't you dry your hands after washing your car or watering your garden?
Don't you wipe clean your hands when cooking before touching your phone?
Never use an umbrella when its raining?

All of the above is pretty ordinary reactions to being wet.
So for me a wet finger is an extremely rare occurrence not worth mentioning.
If there is a towel or Dyson yes I do. Unfortunately there isn’t always one. Especially at airports it is really bad.

I wash and dry afterwards but not during no.

Nope don’t constantly wipe and dry my hands before I touch my phone whilst cooking. Unless I handled raw chicken and the likes, but then simply take off the catering gloves.

Walking my dog with an umbrella? Are you mad?

It sounds like you have quite a few years of seniority on me. But glad your fingers are always dry. I would advise to not resist faceid long. It won’t go away.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I didn't just lay blame on the user, I said it could either be an incorrect setup or non accurate (or even defective) hardware. It's fairly easy to incorrectly setup TouchID too (I've seen how my brother did it on his first iPhone).

Many many users have to re-scan their fingerprints after weeks/months because it seems to get less accurate over time (while FaceID is the other way around as it learns every time you unlock and gets more accurate). I have a iPhone 5S, 6, 6S, 7 Plus and iPad Mini 4 and only the 7 Plus has a very high success rate for me. But on all these devices my left thumb always has a success rate of lower than 50%. Also, TouchID on the 5S, 6 and Mini 4 at this moment feels like it's barely working and slower than FaceID. If FaceID is a beta product, to me TouchID is just as beta. OK, I haven't tried the 8 yet, but FaceID to me is almost as good as the iPhone 7's TouchID (and in some cases more convenient and therefore better).

I don't know if you have used other Android phonea with Fingerprint sensor. Even most basisc 300 dollars phone has fingerprint sensor better than iPhone.

My Huawei Nova 2, Xiaomi Mi 1, Huawei P10, Huawei P10 Lite, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei Mate 10, Xiaomi 6 and Mi Max 2, all have fingerprint better than iPhone 6S. Every time I touch my finger on the sensor, these phone immediately unlcok. Not so much with iPhone.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don't know if you have used other Android phonea with Fingerprint sensor. Even most basisc 300 dollars phone has fingerprint sensor better than iPhone.

My Huawei Nova 2, Xiaomi Mi 1, Huawei P10, Huawei P10 Lite, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei Mate 10, Xiaomi 6 and Mi Max 2, all have fingerprint better than iPhone 6S. Every time I touch my finger on the sensor, these phone immediately unlcok. Not so much with iPhone.
No they do not. They really do not. They don’t even come close. And I’m not even beginning to talk about backdoors and other drawbacks.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
No they do not. They really do not. They don’t even come close. And I’m not even beginning to talk about backdoors and other drawbacks.

Yes. I can show you a video about pure fingerprint comparsion. They trush iPhone in terms of Fingerprint speed

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
If there is a towel or Dyson yes I do. Unfortunately there isn’t always one. Especially at airports it is really bad.
I would advise to stay away from the Dyson's and air dryers. They spread germs very easily. Paper towels is the way to go :)

Nope don’t constantly wipe and dry my hands before I touch my phone whilst cooking.
Guess I just like my phone crud free?

Walking my dog with an umbrella? Are you mad?
Are you walking a dinosaur? I manage quite easily :)

It sounds like you have quite a few years of seniority on me. But glad your fingers are always dry. I would advise to not resist faceid long. It won’t go away.
Are you calling me old? :) :) :)
I am not resisting FID. I believe I have expressed my love for it....and my distaste for it.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think in the almost 2 months since I've had my X I think face-id failed once where I had to put in my passcode. For touch-id it was at least once a day and this time of year (cold chapped hands) more than that. I think face-id is great

Reactions: jlczl

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For those who think FaceID is crap: 2018 is upon us and FaceID will get better in future devices. Plus, other Android OEMs will put pressure on Apple to be the best possible biometric hardware provider.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
works only about 50% of the time for me.

Also doesn't work at all in landscape orientation.

I'm sure it will be better on the next iteration of iphone, it is just not ready for primetime.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Only thing i dont like about Face ID is how many times it doesnt recognize my face when I am on my bed under my comforter or just on my side. Apart from that it's perfect and will only get better.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Only thing i dont like about Face ID is how many times it doesnt recognize my face when I am on my bed under my comforter or just on my side. Apart from that it's perfect and will only get better.

Make sure you're not holding it too close to your face.

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I think in the almost 2 months since I've had my X I think face-id failed once where I had to put in my passcode. For touch-id it was at least once a day and this time of year (cold chapped hands) more than that. I think face-id is great

Exactly my experience as well and since I also still carry a 7 daily for work I see time and time again how much more accurate FaceID is than TouchID.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I have yet to find a time. Even in the dark at night, when Face ID hasn’t worked. It was odd at first not using the home button. But now I can’t go back to using a home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.