Face ID is Preventing Me From Buying an iPhone X - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 27, 2017.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

People have been asking this a lot, but the way Apple makes it sound, if you can see the front of the phone well enough to actually use it, then it can see you.

Yes, with TouchID you can unlock your phone without looking at it, but if you're not going to look at it at all, why did you unlock it?

2. I’mpaced Suspended

I’mpaced

3. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Face ID is a thing now and will never go away here’s the next 5-10 Years.

#1. Start you Car with Face ID. And it knows if you are watching the road

#2. Insurance companies will require and have access to Face ID data and base rates or accident fault if you are watching the road or not.
    #3. Advertisers will know what part of the computer screen you are looking at.
    #4. Employers will have apps which tell them how much their employees are looking at their screens and working.
    #5. Like skipping Youtube ads. Well soon they won’t skip unless you are looking at them since they know when a person is looking or not.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Fair statement. And I think this would certainly be a trial year for the iPhone X and next year Apple will be offering two models with Face ID with two different sizes. I think a lot of iPhone consumers are still holding out until after this year, and waiting until next year to see where this iPhone goes and what others thoughts are behind it.

5. ericwn macrumors 65816

Maybe some, but the crazy ones will continue to use their phones. I see this daily on the roads around Toronto.

6. ericwn macrumors 65816

And the spreading of FUD goes happily on. Since Apple is not in the business of dealing with your private data, that’s a far fetched scenario. What others do without Apple tech, we’ll have to wait and see. If is as likely that the new Spaceship campus lifts into orbit.

7. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

I use Apple Pay 2x to 5x a day and I never look at it the way Face ID requires. In fact, my iPhone is unlocked by my thumb in a singular and fluid motion as it emerges from my pocket and is placed on a coffee shop contactless terminal.

I go through airport security 40x a year and with my mobile boarding pass set as the last thing I viewed that same fluid motion of thumb on the home button for the 2 second ride from my pocket to the glass TSA qr code scanner doesn't require me to stop and look at it first.

Just two examples. There are more.

8. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

You mean register the side of the thumb? I did my thumb about 5-6 different ways. Still major trouble unlocking. Maybe its the phone? I dont sweat and dont have greasy skin. To me, Touch ID is maddening. Actually, I hate it because it rarely works. I've never bought a new phone at launch, I usually buy last years models....but I am really wanting the FaceID.

9. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Don't forget Siri is listening as well.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Well, I'm afraid you're either going to have to pass on the X and likely future iPhones, or get used to having to glance at your phone in those situations.

11. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

for me iPhone 7 7+ will be the last one I like metal phone not glass and face ID I really dont care

12. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Luddite. :D

14. bopajuice, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Other phones already offer facial recognition. Problem is every time I tried to access my phone I heard this laughing sound. Apparently I am too ugly for facial recognition to take me seriously. Well that and what if I was a wanted fugitive and had worry about getting caught.

15. brianric macrumors regular

Surveillance state already exist. Drive a car and have Ezpass, the all powerful state can track your movement. Don't want Ezpass for that reason plate readers can pick up your wear about. Use a credit card and you can be tracked. Go to any large city and security cameras are recording your face. Use a smart phone and you can be tracked. The total surveillance state has been around for years.

16. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Yikes.

If that's your concern, you need to get rid of any smart phone, ever. Also never leave the country, don't travel in your car, make sure you don't have a new TV, get rid of all your laptops, iPads, hell even fridges. If they wanted your face, they would have had it a long time ago.

17. tazuki macrumors newbie

I'm expecting Face ID to be great.
    I have been using Razer Stargazer webcam to unlock windows for an year now and it just works, fast, every time.
    With rase to wake the iPhone, I'm expecting to just swype and that's it, since the unlock should be done fast as soon as the iPhone is awake.
    No more misreads of fingerprint when hands are sweaty, no more thinking which fingerprint to use, no more needing to remove gloves to unlock it, etc.
    I'm really looking forward to have my X :)

18. Havixbeck, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  19. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Well that is what the 8 was designed for. Your kind that don't like change.

I've been wanting the home button gone since the iPhone 4 and thats before Touch ID existed so i don't care about touch id.

20. AnthonyG6, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

AnthonyG6 macrumors member

AnthonyG6

I think people just need to wait until they've actually tried out FaceID for themselves instead of making assumptions of how it will work and how it won't. Personally I am looking forward to getting the iPhone X and I don't mind being a beta tester for the FaceID. I was a beta tester for TouchID and it was absolutely awesome. I'm also glad that Apple didn't compromise and put the TouchID on the back like some Android phones. I don't see any use cases where that would be an advantage if you already have FaceID apart from having the phone already unlocked when you pull it out of your pocket, but you'll still have to look at it, so even then that's pointless.

In summary, don't knock it until you've tried it.

21. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Looks like you should start thinking about a new platform as Touch ID won't be returning. The 8 and prior should at least last a few more years. Face ID looks like a nice improvement considering you won't even need to think about authentication anymore. After viewing hands on videos and reading through some experiences, it seems like it works extremely well. There is really no reason to take a step back and revert to Touch ID. I don't see them dedicating resources to tech that requires physical input.

22. Impatientmac macrumors regular

I don't like bad changes. Not sure I understand ( or believe tbh) why youd want the homebutton gone that far back. What would replace it? Change for the sake of change is why they made the X for people like you. :confused:

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Way to generalize and dismiss us.

I work in IT...change happens.

But choosing to abandon TouchID and adopt FaceID all at the same time in the ipX...it's presumptuous at worst and ??? at best.

24. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Well to be fair, and you have every right now to like the change, it doesn't necessarily mean it's "bad" for everyone. I am assuming he was interested in a gesture based UI since the Palm Pre days. I know I was. Face ID looks to be a nice step forward considering you won't even really need to think about authenticating it. Pick up your phone and swipe to your homescreen. Brings back the old swipe to unlock people loved. The X overall is a step forward in what a phone UI can be like. The 8 and prior will stick around for a couple years until more people are ready for the change, but some people like the poster and myself are okay with the change right now. There is no wrong choice here.

25. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

No, I wanted the home button gone, to get more screen real estate. I wanted the phone to go all screen after the 4S came out and i've had to wait all these years to finally see it come to fruition. No doubt I'm buying the phone day one.