Face ID is Preventing Me From Buying an iPhone X - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 27, 2017.

1. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

cant they implement shortcuts on the lock screen after you validate yourself with whatever technology? “Unlock screen”, “pay”, etc..

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Wait...was there some sort of new information in the original post? Not sure what the point of posting that was...

All joking aside, there is one thing I think people are forgetting when they say Face ID is not as secure and not as developed as Touch ID. It’s far enough along and secure enough that credit card companies are comfortable letting people use it to make purchases. Credit card companies are sticklers for security since they get hurt financially when there is fraud. If they’re good with Face ID, it must be both secure and reliable. I’m sure there will be some growing pains, just as there were when Touch ID first debuted with the 5S. But I think it’s unlikely the doom and gloom scenarios people have been spouting on this forum will come to pass.

3. Gathomblipoob, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Mike, if I had a nickel for every time I used a car analogy and got chastised for it, I certainly wouldn't be worrying about iPhone prices.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

truly unbelievable and groundbreaking stuff right here folks. thanks for the info OP.

/s

[​IMG]

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Yet, every first generation iPhone I've owned has been fine. Dumb luck, I guess.

6. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

That's the problem with us as a society, we don't want to "think about it"

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The convenience of TouchID to unlock my phone is what is lacking in the ipX.

8. Ries macrumors 68000

For someone that doesn't have to think about it, he certainly puts a lot of work into holding the phone up and pointing it straight at his face...

9. craigio85 macrumors regular

I’ve avoided discussing FaceID. It’s not the reason i’m not buying the X - my own subjective opinion of the overall design is.

I’ve no reason to think FaceID will be any more or less simple, convenient etc etc than touch ID. In terms of safety, I haven’t read enough into the implications to comment. Assuming security turns out fine, I think FaceID overall will be a non-issue. It’s just a different method of authenticating the phone user that, like TouchID, people will use without a second thought.

If, come November 3rd, Facegate erupts and users are flooding the forums complaining that it’s awkward and unreliable, that’s a different matter. But, realistically, who hasn’t experienced TouchID fails frequently? It would have to happen very frequently to become a problem.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Then again, I saw a few Apple employees (during the hands-on videos) have the X unlock as they were bringing it up to their face. I imagine we'll get a better idea of how handy Face ID is once we actually have them in our hands.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    I haven't.

11. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

First, I didn’t address convenience in my post, only security and reliability. Second how is pressing the home button to unlock appreciably more convenient than swiping up from the bottom of the screen? Face ID looks to be so fast from the demos that the phone will be unlocked long before you finish the swipe gesture.

12. craigio85 macrumors regular

Admittedly, it’s usually because I’ve just eaten a banana or something and have messy fingers.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've had it fail a couple of times because of wet or greasy thumbs.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I talk about TouchID convenience earlier in this thread.

15. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

You are only considering use cases where you are pointing the phone squarely at your face like a selfie.

Many of us have other scenarios where our phones are pointed up at the ceiling (lying flat on a table, for example) or out the rear window (in a vent mount in a car, for example) when we wake them and unlock them, and Face ID won't work in those cases.

Apple Pay is the big one for me, I must use it 3x or 5x daily. I reach into my pocket, withdraw the phone with my thumb already on the home button, boom, it's unlocked and on the terminal in one fluid motion, right around waist height, payment made, the phone never gets raised or tilted towards my face.

16. Jabar18 macrumors member

This to me is one of the benefits of waiting to see what Apple does in 2018. I have no interest in being a beta tester for new technology which for all intents was not Apple’s first choice as they’ve admitted they would have preferred to include Touch ID in the X’s, but couldn’t figure out how to do it in time before production.

17. Absrnd macrumors 6502

Absrnd

Can you point me to that Apple page ?

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's not true. Apple actually experimented with touch ID first under the display according to Craig Federighi, however once Face ID became a reality and working properly, they abandoned touch ID altogether, and it was not t a timely or production issue. Touch ID is not coming back and Face ID is Apples future.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

19. Jabar18 macrumors member

“Apple initially hoped to equip the iPhone X with the Touch ID function, which allows users to open the phone by scanning their fingerprint,” the WSJ report explains. “But incorporating the scanner into the new OLED display proved problematic, and Apple eventually scrapped the scanner on the new phones. The episode contributed to iPhone X sales being pushed back til November, people familiar with the matter said.”

https://www.google.com/amp/bgr.com/2017/09/27/apple-iphone-x-touch-id-plans-scrapped-delay/amp/

Actually...it is.

20. Absrnd macrumors 6502

Absrnd

And that line makes it the truth...right :rolleyes:

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

False. You posted an article of the The Wallstreet Journal over what Craig Federighi stated himself in an interview to John Gruber? That's not credible at all. Touch ID was scrapped not because they couldn't get it working, because Once Face ID was ready, they abandoned Touch ID all together. The idea that Face ID was rushed due to Touch ID not working under the display was inaccurate. Please, at least read the article before commenting.

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Way to prioritize.

23. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Am I missing something? There is only one first generation iPhone.

24. Jabar18, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017

Jabar18 macrumors member

What's there to say? It's not technology that they were not fully ready to roll out yet. Enjoy being a beta tester for Face ID.

25. Relentless Power, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

So you're trying to tell me and the other forum members in this Thread that Apple is not prepared to release Face ID and jeopardize millions of people's security based on what? An anecdotal assumption?

I'm not sure why you insist on spreading nonsense or your just in denial , but everything you said is utterly false. Craig Federighi absolutely confirmed Face ID was in the making and when they had the technology ready, they abandoned Touch ID all together. I clearly indicated that in an article for you that was worded from the source himself. So you're making statements that Are untrue to begin with.