Face ID is Preventing Me From Buying an iPhone X - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 27, 2017.

1. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Will turning yourself into a turd while you face-unlock help?

2. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

How did any of you manage to live when the iPhone 5 was new? :confused:

3. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Well they couldn't get Touch ID to work under the screen and it would have been terrible going on the back so they chose another option big deal. I was using iPhones before Touch ID so I don't care whether its there or not. I care more about getting a full usable screen whilst keeping the phone body size small.

Those who care about Touch ID (Which arrived on the iPhone 5S) can stick with the iPhone 8/8 Plus? So i don't see the issue here.

4. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

What is your point? The iPhone 5 was unlocked the same as every iPhone that preceded it. Why in the world would anyone have an issue with something that worked the same as it always did?

Mike

5. noekozz, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Honestly the main reason I decided to skip on the iPhone X is partly because of face ID. I just don't feel comfortable someone obtaining my phone and simply having access to it by pointing it to my face. Your natural reaction would be to look at whatever someone is calling your attention to........... and just..... no thanks. Second reason being the nightmare it will be to obtain it when it launches, and third reason is basically the price. I can't justify the price difference for facial ID and an OLED screen.

edit: Obviously I'm pretty sure there's an option to disable face ID and using the passcode instead, or at least that's what I would do just to be safe. I'm going to wait it out and wait for real world feedback / kinks worked out. I also want to see what next year brings in terms of OLED for the other models on the line up. Another thing to keep in mind is that if for some reason facial ID fails to recognize you for whatever reason, you're basically screwed out of using apple pay when you need it.

6. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

The first post guy is complaining that he might need to lean over slightly and look at his phone to unlock it, something that you had to do with every non-touchID iPhone ever.

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

This implies that it is okay to remove any features at all since "hey we got by without them before." If Ford decided to use voice commands to start their cars, and removed push-button start--leaving key start as the only other option, I can understand someone not buying a Ford due to that, especially if they really liked push-button start. I certainly wouldn't tell them that they did just fine before push-button start existed.

I am now officially going to hell for using a car analogy.

Mike

8. Impatientmac macrumors regular

You dont need to think about authenticating touch id just touch it. Again change for the sake of chaneg doesn't make it a step forward. I also find those two statements pretty funny next to each other. The UI seems more like a step backwards than forwards. Thats not only an X problem, but its exacerbated by the notch and lack of home button. While one choice over another may not be bad for "everyone" but it certainly can be a bad decsion.

I'm pretty sure a full screem 4s would still have a smaller screen than a 6, certainly a 6+. And again more screen realestate at the cost of usability doesn't seem like a good trade off

9. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

What about pushing technology forward though? I think it's fair for someone not to like a new feature, but I think we should at least give Face ID a shot. From what I have seen/read, it looks to work pretty well. Hopefully it's something we don't even need to think about. I think that in itself is much better than Touch ID.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    You may not need to think about it as it's pretty natural for people now, but it is authentication that takes user input/interaction. You're going to look at your phone to use it, so it will already be unlocked once you do. Personally, I can't see how that isn't better. I only mentioned swipe to unlock because some people weren't happy when it went away. It's cool that we each have our own opinions, but I am happy with them moving on from Touch ID.

10. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Oh yea, I definitely agree that we need to see how well it works in the wild before passing judgement.

But I think we can also agree that, no matter how good Face ID turns out to be, there could also be cases where Touch ID would have worked better. I don't see that being the case for me, but it does seem to be for the OP.

Mike

11. Impatientmac macrumors regular

I mean if you can't see any drawbacks becasue you have rose colored glasses that hides all the red flags. For one we know that like touch id it will lock out if there are too many false attempts. Makes sense, but it comes with the potential problems like reading other peoples faces and being forced to use your pw more often than with touch id. Another potential issue with face id is the viewing angle, touch Id works flat on a table while I sit back, face id...I'm not so sure. No home button means the removal of reachability (as far as we know). Hmm am I missing anything else? Or well this one doesn't effect me but not being able to use more than one face could become an issue for some families. Maybe none of these things effect you but there are a lot of practical problems with face id over touch id. Obviosuly face id has it's benefits too, but don't blind yourself from obvious downsides

12. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Yea for sure, certain scenarios. I just see it as a bit overblown. To each their own.
    I don't know about rose colored glasses, but I am open to change and feel like Face ID is a nice improvement over our current authentication method. Not saying it will be perfect (neither was Touch ID at first), but it will improve over time. I guess the false attempts thing makes sense, but no one really handles my phone besides myself and my girlfriend who uses a passcode to open it. The viewing angle is something to consider, but again, if you are able to use touch ID, open your phone, and then view the content you want to see, I would imagine you are in view of the front facing camera. I don't use reachability, but I would imagine some people do. Maybe they bring it back with another gesture? I saw something the other day about it working in the simulator. I am not blind to potential downsides, I just think the concerns are way overblown. People felt the same way when Touch ID and now people can't live without it. All I am saying is, let's give it a chance. For me, it looks great.

13. Impatientmac macrumors regular

No on said the same thing about Touch ID, they didn't remove the ability to use a pascode when touch Id was introduced the only potential downside was using the passcode which isnt a downside when you'd have to use it if touch id didn't exist. The thing about Face Id is that they don't have to handle the device to cause a false read. The bolded part is where I think you're being very blind to the downsides. You can look at a phone on a flat surface without being in the field of view very easily try it with your phone right now. And if the field of view is at this super level you imagine it to be then you will likely get false reads from onlookers because more people will likely be in the field of view. And $1000+ is a lot to take a chance on. The reaction to me has been too forgiving and too speculative in the positive view point. I mean here you're saying maybe they'll add reachabilty. Maybe isn't good enough especially when the new gestures use both the top and bottom of the screen.

14. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Understand. We just have different opinions. Unfortunately for you, this is the direction Apple is headed. What's good is that you have options for now.

15. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

You clearly don't get it do you? I'm saying having a home button and forehead bezel are completely unnecessary and they've finally realised it now thats why the iPhone X exists cause they've realised all the rest is wasted space.

16. Impatientmac macrumors regular

It certainly wasn't unnecessary at the time of the 5s when touch id was implimented. You can make that argument now that Face id is a thing, but claiming back then is just wrong. They didn't finally realize it they just finally have something they think can replace it. Oh and the top bezzel is there in the form of the notch

17. serialiphoneuser, Oct 4, 2017

serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

This should quash all negativity surrounding Face-ID being inconvenient to use. It is indeed a true, elegant replacement for now-obsolete Touch-ID. Embrace the future.

To unlock: You just look at it, swipe up and get right in. It's that easy.
    To use Apple Pay: Double Click Side Button. Look At It. Pay. It's that easy.

Face-ID. The Future. Easy. Elegant. Natural.

[​IMG]

You don't even have to think about it.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, I'll just keep sticking with a pin code, thanks.

19. avtella macrumors regular

I still like Touch ID better, feels more convenient and faster.

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Let's wait for the ipX to reach the masses before anybody can claim success or failure.

I already know what Apple claims. And all you are doing is spouting Apple.

This thread shouldn't exist.

21. RUQRU macrumors regular

RUQRU

No one other than Apple employees have any real experience with this new tech. I got the 8+ because Apple has a bad mojo with first gen products. No need to be on bleeding edge.

22. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

Was that picture taken after the 2nd or 3rd time that he attempted to get the Face ID authentication?
    Same here. I went with IMHO the proven phone... the 8 Plus.

1st gen can wait... just like the Watch. Just got my first one... Series 3.

23. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

iPhone 7/8

Apple Pay: Double click home button. Pay. It's that easy.

Unlock: Click home button. It's that easy.

24. iOSUser7, Oct 4, 2017

iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Thanks Tim, I was not sold on FaceID but now you convinced me to buy an iPhone X !