Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Based on the latest rumors, it is now looking unlikely that iPhone 14 Pro models will have Face ID under the display as initially claimed.

Beyond-iPhone-13-Better-Blue-Face-ID.jpg

Earlier today, display industry consultant Ross Young claimed that iPhone 14 Pro models will feature both hole-punch and pill-shaped cutouts near the top of the display. Young believes the hole will be for the Face ID dot projector, while the pill-shaped cutout will supposedly house the front camera and an infrared camera for Face ID at a minimum.

In a follow-up tweet, Young has since claimed that the infrared camera will not be moved under the display until 2023 or 2024, suggesting that Face ID will not be fully under the display until the iPhone 15 Pro or iPhone 16 Pro.

It's worth noting that oft-accurate analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that Face ID would not be moved under the display until 2023 all along.

While the two-hole design for iPhone 14 Pro models would not provide a completely seamless viewing experience, it would still be another step in that direction. And if Young and Kuo prove to be right, we might finally get an all-screen design next year.

Article Link: Face ID Under the Display Returns to Being an iPhone 15 Pro Rumor

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
From what I’ve seen (which I admit is limited) under screen cameras either lower the resolution or the brightness of the display in that spot. As a result you can still ‘see’ the camera. I saw one back in 2019, which I get is 100 years ago, that looked like it had a permanent fingerprint.

PsykX

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Am I the only one that really, at the end of the day, simply does not even notice or care about the notch area all that much?

#ohshotsfired

#ohdissentingopinions
It's only noticeable in landscape mode, because the status bar will be there most of the time.
Portrait mode would have no benefit to see the notch removed completely.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Good grief, I don’t want it to be pill-shaped. Keep the notch until you figure out how to get rid of it.
Agreed. The notch at least look like it was planned for. The extra real estate available on either side is beneficial but not distracting.

A hole punch - round or pill; one or two - just looks like someone's kid got loose in the display factory with a paper hole punch. I find the holes to be actually more distracting than the notch. The notch immediately fades into the background but the hole is in the screen.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Am I the only one that really, at the end of the day, simply does not even notice or care about the notch area all that much?

#ohshotsfired

#ohdissentingopinions

Yes, you are the only one.

It’s not like nobody ever makes comments like this every time there’s an article about the notch or anything.

Last edited:

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Other than the novelty of hiding the cameras underneath the display, what purpose is there to investing so much time and resources into this? Is the notch truly so abhorrent to people that it's a blight to be done away with?

Is that tiny bit of screen real estate worth so much to so many?

jz0309

macrumors 604
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
In flagship phones, a combination of both (Face ID + Touch ID) is the future.
Some apps could require a higher level of security, and use both simultaneously, such as Bank apps.
Other less sensitive apps could use one or the other.
Apple will not go that path, imho, you’re of course entitled to a different one …

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Here comes the barrage of people saying how the notch doesn’t bother them and how they don’t notice it at all therefore no change is necessary.

Even though them bezels on previous iPhone generations never bothered anyone who don’t visit sites like these either.

Those bezels were still complained about though until we got the notched ‘bezel-less’ displays that they’re now happy with, yet those same people don’t seem to understand why there’s others who don’t want it there and would much prefer a uniform display (meaning zero cut-outs on every side of it) instead.

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Other than the novelty of hiding the cameras underneath the display, what purpose is there to investing so much time and resources into this? Is the notch truly so abhorrent to people that it's a blight to be done away with?

Is that tiny bit of screen real estate worth so much to so many?
Yes the notch is indeed abhorrent to many.

But the notch is actually there to increase screen real estate without increasing the device size.

So the question really is, is that tiny bit of extra screen real estate worth so much that we should put up with the notch?

No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.