Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Facebook Acquires GIF-Sharing and Creation Platform GIPHY for $400M

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Imagine every Giphy GIF as a Facebook tracking pixel they way ‘Like’ buttons are currently, but then realize they’re used inside walled gardens like Slack. This isn’t odd at all, it’s evil genius.
This bears repeating over and over again. Facebook is using this as a backdoor tracker into many sites that have integrated Giphy as well as virtually anything that allows embedding of images served over the web. It's a monstriously creepy backdoor tracking pixel acquisition.

I do want to know how Apple handles Giphy embeds in Messages. Are they sent as data, or loaded directly from the remote source by the recipient?

I really hope it's the former, but if the latter, one hopes Apple will close that loophole.

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
I literally forgot Facebook existed.
Yeah! It’s like we avoid it like the plague, run far away, forget about it.
But like a literal very slow moving monster, several months or a year later, it rears it’s ugly head and is in sight again, then we have to clean up and get away all over again.

Reactions: EyeTack
Comment

EyeTack

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
MA / USA
It’s going to be super inclusive, as long as you completely believe in their perverse worldview.
However, if you don’t conform, you will be banned from the *entire* FB portfolio of apps.

Imagine where a spicy meme gets you cut off from everyone because a user puts all their faith in a single behemoth of a company. Cut off from friends, family, and God help you if you had a business that depends on that portfolio.

FB, IG, WhatsApp, and more. Locked out. No rights. No recourse. This is how big tech aims to control you.

Comment

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Not sure how a small acquisition makes Facebook much different than before.

The same old faces in government should be investigated for antitrust.

Surprised I thought a guy like you would own some FB shares. I certainly do and it's treated me pretty well. I understand the hate for Zuck as he is more reptilian than human. However he is one bright lizard. I wouldn't discount what may be in the future of FB. That being said I only have a sliver and don't consider it a core position.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Surprised I thought a guy like you would own some FB shares. I certainly do and it's treated me pretty well. I understand the hate for Zuck as he is more reptilian than human. However he is one bright lizard. I wouldn't discount what may be in the future of FB. That being said I only have a sliver and don't consider it a core position.
Facebook is a good business with high margins and good profitability, but I don’t believe in Zuckerberg. He’s somewhat untrustworthy. I also don’t love the idea of their business model.

I indirectly own FB through ETFs, but won’t buy the shares directly more out of preference than performance. The stock has been great.

Comment

krfr

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Great... now I’m going to have to delete that app...

Comment

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Facebook is a good business with high margins and good profitability, but I don’t believe in Zuckerberg. He’s somewhat untrustworthy. I also don’t love the idea of their business model.

I indirectly own FB through ETFs, but won’t buy the shares directly more out of preference than performance. The stock has been great.

It's too greasy to hold long but a nice trading vehicle. Buy below $200 and sell above. It is a range based stock that trades between $150 and $200.

Comment

lkalliance

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2015
Ok, so assuming I try to avoid Facebook and it’s many apps, I’ve got a question then about the Giphy-sourced images in the #images app in iMessage. If I assume eventual Facebook data slurping that I want to avoid, how can I tell which GIFs are sourced from Giphy *before* I send them? Also, even if I avoid using the app entirely, does even just receiving a Giphy GIF in iMessage put me at risk?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.