Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Facebook Acquires GIF-Sharing and Creation Platform GIPHY for $400M

Delta-NC

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland, European Union
I find it bizarre that GIFs are even still around. Haven't they been replaced by two better standards at this point? Then 10 years ago someone dragged them out of the bin like a stack of old vinyls and they've hung around like a bad smell ever since.

Reactions: CarlJ
Comment

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
I never really used Giphy before anyway but I definitely won't in future.

Anything Facebook owns is toxic and pains me to use some of their products still.

Comment

chucker23n1

macrumors 601
Dec 7, 2014
I find it bizarre that GIFs are even still around. Haven't they been replaced by two better standards at this point? Then 10 years ago someone dragged them out of the bin like a stack of old vinyls and they've hung around like a bad smell ever since.

"GIF", at this point, is more of a placeholder name. For GIPHY in particular, the API will give you a GIF if you really want that, but also various other formats:

So when people say they are posting a GIF, it's more in the figurative sense of an animated image without sound; others may actually see it as MP4/H.264 or WebP/VP9.

Reactions: Delta-NC
Comment

visench

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2018
The real value of the purchase is not the tool. It is
1. The user data, the eyeballs and the penetration of it into a bunch of platforms (slack, google, apple..)
2. The tracking data which is embedded into each one of the GIFs that exist in the platform.

So from now on, each time you post a giphy, FB will know where, when, the exact words you were looking for and your mood at that moment.

You may get more info in onezero :

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.