Facebook Implements Fix for iOS App Battery Draining Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook's newest iOS update, out today, fixes a major battery draining bug that some Facebook users have been experiencing in recent weeks. Affected users were seeing large amounts of battery drain on their iPhones due to Facebook running in the background, something that happened even when background app refresh was toggled off in the Settings app.

While the latest Facebook app release notes don't include a reference to the issue, Facebook engineering manager Ari Grant wrote a post (via TechCrunch) explaining the issues behind the battery drain and what Facebook has done to fix it. According to Grant, there were several factors that contributed to the problem, including a "CPU spin" in the network code and silent background audio sessions that kept the app awake even when it wasn't open.

[​IMG]

When the Facebook battery draining issue first began circulating, MacStories' Federico Vittici hypothesized it was caused by silent audio running in the background, which turned out to be correct. Vittici believed Facebook used silent audio intentionally as a way to keep the app active in the background for tasks like pre-loading content, which he said showed "a deep lack of respect for iOS users."

Regarding today's comment from Facebook engineer Ari Grant, TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino also suspects there's a possibility Facebook's use of background audio might have been done on purpose, despite Facebook's claim that it was an unintentional bug.
    Grant says fixes have been implemented for both of the issues causing battery drain and Facebook users "should see improvements in the version released today." Facebook will also continue to improve the battery usage of its iOS app.

Article Link: Facebook Implements Fix for iOS App Battery Draining Issues

2. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

Well that's good. I'm glad they jumped on it so quickly. (Even though they've probably known about it for ages and were just waiting to get called out on it)

3. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

still don't trust it.
    and I don't believe they 'jumped on it so quickly'.
    The issue had been apparent since iOS 9.0 beta 1 showed granular battery usage details....6 months ago.
    They just got caught red handed and decided now's the time to finally fix their own exploit.

Browser facebook is still better.

4. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

What's done is done. Glad it is fixed but for a company such as Facebook to "miss" this for so long isn't great. It's going on far too much in the tech community. Worryingly the more and faster we advance, the more likely more things will slip through nets.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Facebook has over 100 engineers working on iOS app. It's hard to believe that something so major was an unintentional bug, from a company known to violate user privacy so many times.

6. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

7. chrisbb macrumors member

I fixed the problem myself..... just deleted the app.
    You can't drain my battery if its not installed on my phone :p

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

that's grounds for removal of Facebook from the app store.

9. ximdotro macrumors newbie

ximdotro

10. popeye88 macrumors member

I don't trust them either. Wish there was a better platform that is as widely adopted as facebook, while I don't necessarily like to post every little detail of my life, it is nice to keep in touch with some folks from distant parts of my life which I otherwise would not likely hear from.

11. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Nope.

I've downloaded the new update and the app is still draining at 39%.

By far the worse performing app for battery life

12. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

They're just pissing on us without even the courteously of calling it rain.

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

So with this background audio issue being fixed does this mean it fixes when you close then Facebook app and play music the audio won't be lower than normal anymore? It used to happen all the time when I had my phone connected to my car Bluetooth.

14. MJedi, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Of course, "What's New" doesn't say anything specific but the standard text that they've had for years.

15. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

I too wish there was a decent alternative.

I'm aware of all the other sites such as Ello but they just aren't good enough.

Only a matter of time until Facebook bursts

16. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

This whole story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If this was intentional, how arrogant of Facebook to exploit iOS and its users.

FB can fly a kite; their app sucks. The whole messenger app debacle was stupid.

I don't know why I'm surprised though. Facebook has been full of arrogance and hypocrisy since day one.

17. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

So far it still seems to be doing the audio thing for me even after the update.

18. joeblough macrumors regular

man the busy wait is such a rookie mistake that it seems like they might just be incompetent. on the other hand they may have been trying to implement multiple methods to keep the app running. way to go FB.

19. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I've had the same issue; and here I thought it was just another iOS bug. Nope, just Facebook being Facebook.

I hate that. It's so lazy. Many users would like to know what they're getting with an update.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Over 100 engineers for a single iOS app?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

All kinds of software has all kinds of bugs, doesn't necessarily mean incompetence or malice.

22. ihonda macrumors 68000

My 6S battery has been great since ditching the app. Wonder if I should reinstall

23. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Probably best not to. You may find other areas of your life improve as well :D

24. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw