Facebook Paid Contractors to Transcribe Messenger Voice Chats

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Because fundamentally modern "AI" (machine learning) requires a ton of data. It doesn't work like a human where you just need to find a small mistake, it requires tens of thousands of mistakes to make it learn correctly.

https://xkcd.com/1838/

2. apolloa macrumors G5

Facebook closing the stable door after the horse has bolted...

3. urgs macrumors newbie

No, Apple doesn't do anything like this.

If you send a voice message, it's an end-to-end encrypted audio file.

We aren't talking about voice recognition systems here, where a server needs to understand human speech commands. Voice chats are simple human to human conversations and no machine needs to know what they are talking about.

4. SigurTom macrumors member

SigurTom

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This might upset my grandma who still uses it.

6. rk-apple macrumors newbie

rk-apple

Facebook has millions of users, they’ll get enough volunteered submissions in time. And, they can always hire people create voice content for AI to learn from. Look, the original article is all about the involvement of humans to assist the AI. Just remove the involuntary stuff (even if technically consented to in the legalese) in favor of a totally voluntary system.

7. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

For digital assistants this is correct, and even justifiable (so long as the user has an opt-out option or at the very least, is made aware of what's going on). But I have a hard time understanding what they need to record voice chats for... That's like saying Verizon needs to record and transcribe your phone calls to make them sound clearer. It just doesn't make any sense.

8. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Who uses Messenger, anyway?
    It is still a thing?

Just say No to any FB-related app.
    And <delete>.

9. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

...because if there's ONE thing we know about Facebook's user base, they are the generally helpful, tech savvy/aware people who are always committed to the greater good and are NEVER focused only on what gives them exposure in a grab for attention.

/s
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 ---
    Because it's not the same thing, and people agreed when they accepted the TOS for this "free" service.

10. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

11. nitramluap macrumors regular

The best artificial intelligence was actually human intelligence all along.

12. jackietreeh0rn macrumors member

13. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

14. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

Lol okay think what you want

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

FB has gotta be the largest slow motion train wreck in history. Not a week goes by without this company fending of another new outrageous scandal.

16. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Apple is far worse because they had Siri hands-free. They recorded and transcribed conversations with random people that never gave any permission. At least both parties using a Facebook app agreed to the privacy policy and terms of service and are voluntarily using the service. You can't reasonably control whether other people have an iPhone or Apple Watch on.

17. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Some of them for sure. Before hiring our own we looked into several medical transcriptionist companies. Their security posture was so poor even they knew it within 10 minutes of the first call.

But not all transcriptionists as many are under a BAA (or employees) and have a secured setup and are audited. And as hospitals and others are getting more aware, many are seeking out HITRUST certified companies.

18. MacGod macrumors regular

MacGod

Which are usually covered by HIPPA requirements and usually by bonded/certified transcriptionists - Wow - non-issue and not-related to a social media company having people listen to your audio recordings.

19. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

My friends who don't have either an Apple device to use iMessage or refuse using any other app, say otherwise.

20. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

It really is people's fault for continuing to use Facebook.

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Jesus Christ, how many stories of privacy violations need to come out each week about these tech companies?

22. macappuser macrumors newbie

macappuser

At this point I would be disappointed if Facebook didn’t take a part of this.

23. Tech198 macrumors G5

Seems like a secret collection of NSA documents..only knows to "certain people and told limited things"

For a company that's supposed to be proclaiming sharing.. its not doing that well.

24. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

25. konqerror macrumors 6502a

That's what I've heard too. My understanding is in the old days you had a central facility with security and transcriptionists weren't allowed to take in pens and paper to prevent note taking. Now they've got work-at-home which is near impossible to secure.

But overall the concept is the same: a human listening to private information and typing it in. Nobody has evidence that Facebook or Apple was hacked here, people just feel icky about the idea of a random person listening to their private info, and that idea is very similar to medical transcribing.