Facebook Paid Contractors to Transcribe Messenger Voice Chats

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

This should surprise no one as this is the FB mantra. Them saying they've stopped doing it is like a liar saying they'll only tell the truth. I simply don't believe anything FB says as their core competency is to lie.

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

People would rather trust what FB tells them with hiding profile settings, then trusting themselves more by not putting it there in the first place..

We've moved from trusting the user, to trusting companies as long as they give us the tools we 'need'

Its a failed act..

3. femike macrumors 6502

We have come full circle. Switchboard operators could listen in on phone calls, and today we have powerful government-linked corporations listening in to your phone calls. And most don't bat an eyelid.

4. Ken Linger macrumors member

Ken Linger

If I had to guess, it is because you are using a Facebook app on Facebook servers with other Facebook users who all agreed (whether they read it or not) with the Facebook terms of service.

5. meboy macrumors 6502

All you apple fan boys that have said a million times how Apple never does this stuff, totally in denial and focusing on Facebook and others instead of facing reality.

6. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Google might be worse.

7. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Why the hell are F@c$book transcribing personal messages between people? Why are those conversations not private between the parties concerned?

8. ersan191 macrumors 65816

I’ve had a lot of replies that are a variation on this - I think y’all are bad at reading.

“Facebook says that users who had voice chats transcribed had opted in”

This is a feature that people TURNED ON to transcribe their voice into text before sending it, like if you used Siri to send a text message.

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Wait until it comes out FBook is a See EYe Eh clown operation to the masses, and it will. Screen shot this for later props.

10. fairuz, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 7:08 PM

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Fine, but they should tell users they're collecting the audio. The audio doesn't even need to leave the device to transcribe it, but if they want to do that, it'd still be ok if they weren't storing and disclosing it.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:03 PM ---
    They say that they don't (correct me if I'm wrong), so if you're telling the truth, you're risking getting fired and worse... so I doubt what you say.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:03 PM ---
    At no point did I trust Facebook wasn't collecting my audio. The thing is, I don't care, and precisely all of my friends use it (though some, like me, have fake names).

I'd rather they all have iPhones and use iMessage/Facetime, but that's only for other reasons. I kick as many Android users out of our chats as I can so we don't use ghetto SMS, but it's hard.

11. macsba macrumors 6502

facebook should be in the lower case "f". They don't need any respect.

12. StuKatz1 macrumors member

13. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502

Romeo_Nightfall

well same with apple. people know they have inferior products not repairable - people still buy this crap!
    seems lots of people just dont care too much!

14. idrewuk macrumors regular

idrewuk

Why don’t companies just employ people to have fake conversations / requests which they then use as the basis for this monitoring?

15. DinkThifferent macrumors member

DinkThifferent

Google asks me every know and then what i think of a given answer after i’ve asked my Google Home Mini something. She says: how satisfied were you with this answer on a scale from 1 to 5”.

And if you just say “I want to give feedback” you can just do so. This is in my opinion much privacy friendlier then just randomly listening in.

And everybody should stop pretending to be shocked, cause Google uses us humans already for handwriting improvements in the Google Crowdsource app.

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

It no longer bothers me that these money greedy unethical companies hoard and mine personal lives,
    That part that bothers me is that people do not care, they will still use their products...

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Nuance’s Dragonly Speaking didn’t do this on device in early smartphone days.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:48 AM ---
    Thank you!

It’s like bottom-base street hookers working completely for free! Or getting pregnant on the job lol.

18. AKDub macrumors member

I'm actually starting to admire facebook's shithousery. They might get a small fine, or a few people might quit because of this sort of thing, but ultimately no one cares and they know it. Might as well be bastards if no one minds and you get more money.

Whenever I bring up to people that they were hacking android phones to bypass permissions settings, all I get is basically a shrug, because of course I just get a shrug, because 99% just allow all permissions and don't care anyway.

19. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

True. It is likely that medical transcriptionists have been around so long that people accept it and know it’s a person. For good or ill, eventually people will become familiar with this as well.

20. jona2125, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:31 AM

jona2125 macrumors 6502a

The contract governing this information was terminated during the re-shuffle of assets. The building was Mary 9 and that is where I learned how deep rooted Apple is at being able to access your data. They can say what they want, but they won't admit anything until things slip, which they are working faster and harder every day to make sure does not happen. I honestly don't care if you believe me, and I don't mean that condescendingly at all, I am just sharing. Nobody is really going to believe it until something major happens to show it. People like Apple, they trust Apple, and they will fight to deny that they could possibly be doing just as bad things behind their closed doors as everyone else. It's their ecosystem and their market, they can and do do this.

21. sirozha macrumors 6502a

More creepier as opposed of creepier?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:40 AM ---
    Right, you do.

22. HacKage macrumors 6502

Why would Facebook's AI need to "correctly interpreted the messages"? It's a voice message, AI shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Like every other Facebook "scandal" though, at this point they are too big to fail due to a privacy breach or similar. The only thing that will kill Facebook, is if people find something new. The problem is that Facebook, WhatsApp & Instagram are the biggest social network apps there is, and it's all controlled by one company.

23. 2010mini macrumors 601

Electronic Medical records are already known to be handled by humans which includes transcription. As long as specific data is removed (name, dob, SS, etc) your medical records can be shared. And actually needs to be shared for a lot of valid reasons.

In the case of social media.... if all the personal identifying data is removed, why is everyone freaking out?

24. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

25. jeabraham macrumors member

You also need tens of thousands of correct transcriptions, so the system can learn the difference.