Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

002158-newicons.jpg

Apple's developer release of iOS 4.3 Beta 2 has provided more visual evidence confirming that the next iPad will carry a front facing camera as well as the Apple Camera App and Photo Booth App. The above image (homeScreenOverlayFaceTime~ipad.png) was found in the latest beta and is used by iOS to show a preview of your wallpaper selection. The current iPad uses the following image, showing only the standard iOS icons for 4.2:

003257-ios42.jpg

In iOS 4.3 Beta 2, however, Apple has already updated this image to reflect the three new app icons that must come with a standard installation. This includes FaceTime, Camera and Photo Booth as pictured at the top.

FaceTime will allow iPad 2 owners to video conference with iPhone, iPod Touch and Mac owners. The standard Camera app will allow you to take photographs. We still can't say for sure if there will be a back camera, as the camera app could possibly be used only for the front camera. Finally, the Photo Booth icon confirms that Apple is including their Mac OS X Photo Booth app which allows users to take fun photos and apply various filters to them. Filters also found in the beta include Thermal Camera, Mirror, X-Ray, Kaleidoscope, Light Tunnel, Squeeze, Twirl and Stretch.

Apple is expected to release the new iPad in the first quarter of this year.

Article Link: FaceTime, Camera and PhotoBooth Icons Confirm Camera in iPad 2

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very cool... FaceTime must be awesome on the iPad!

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
I think the Camera and the Photos, Photobooth as well as basic photo editing capabilities just like the Photoshop App has should be all in ONE app! Too many icons man..

Plus, I think they should definitely have an option to 'hide' icons and 'folders'..

That's just my opinion :)

Last edited:

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pretty much an obvious addition.

High res screen and the game is over, Apple wins.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Sweet, though I wonder if they'll up the camera specs given that they have a little more volume to play with.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I think the Camera and the Photos, as well as basic photo editing capabilities just like the Photoshop App has should be all in ONE app! Too many icons man..

Plus, I think they should definitely have an option to 'hide' icons and 'folders'..

That's just my opinion :)

Remember, this is a beta. Things can still change drastically from this point on.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
You'd think they'd avoid putting any of this code in a public build so that they can try to keep some secrets for their launch. Of course, most of this stuff has been worked on for months, so it's probably difficult to avoid completely.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Sure wish Apple would let you unsync some of it's apps off your iOS devices. My little niece and nephew have no need for a Stocks app.

sergey19

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Y both a camera app and photobooth? Y not combine the two.

railstop

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Not a big surprise.

Facetime is an obvious push, why not put it on iPad. I can hear the PR now, "and now, you can facetime bigger and better than before".

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The camera features on the new iPad seem neat, but the main reason I would upgrade is for a sharp new high-resolution display.

That being said, it seems unlikely that I will be upgrading. Although some more RAM, coupled with a thin and lighter device would be tempting.

As far as further software updates, I really hope Apple implements some form of user accounts. Perhaps tied in with this front camera to recognize who is picking it up. My wife and I share the iPad, and she likes different games and has different email accounts than I do, as well as iBooks and GameCenter accounts. Some further separation would be welcome.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I've, weirdly enough, been wanting PhotoBooth for iOS. With the popularity of Instagram, Incredibooth and similar apps, I was wondering why it wasn't released yet.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
We all pretty much knew FaceTime was coming. But more importantly, is the new icon 2x the resolution of the old one? That's a far more critical question!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.