Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leothemack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Has anyone else come across the issue where Live Photos taken in FaceTime do not save to the camera roll / photos app? Occasionally they will work, but it’s completely hit and miss.

Steps to recreate:
1. Enable “FaceTime Live Photos” for both parties (caller and receiver).
2. Press the white button to take a Live Photo during a FaceTime call.
3. Screen will flash white confining picture has been taken on both parties screens.
4. Check Photo app / camera roll and Live Photo does not appear.

I tried different combinations of devices from both parties. I tried taking a dozen Live Photos in a row and still no luck. We’re both running iOS 13.4.

I have only noticed this in the last few days (as I rely on FaceTime more than before due to the distancing). It might seem like a small problem, but at this time, it is those little moments you capture that mean a lot.

dead flag blues

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
Noticed same issue yesterday and today on my 2019 MBP Catalina 10.15.4. Person on other end of FaceTime conversation could save to iOS and MB devices. Weird.

GrammaVal

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
Yes same is happening here. And my granddaughter has a birthday today. Here and I were doing facetime and I took many pictures and nothing ended up saving - so sad :(

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Ran into the same issue when facetiming my significant other. Wouldn't save to camera roll no matter what. We were on Catalina 10.15.5 and iOS 12 device.

neil666

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
I have the same issue. It was working fine until Wednesday, yesterday morning I upgraded to 10.15.5, and in a Facetime call after that several pictures I took looked to have taken successfully, but weren't saved in my Mac "Photo" app.

CarlosMolina

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I was recently having this problem, and I believe I found a solution. This whole time I believed it was my phone that was damaged and broken since it would not save the pictures, but I was totally wrong. My girlfriend had deleted my contact entirely and I had did the same and it began to work again. Try that out and see if it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.