Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
Ballmer was Gates’ business guy, much like Tim Cook was to Jobs.

If you want to see the future of Apple under Cook, look at how Ballmer ran Microsoft: grew the valuation and stock price rose, while product innovation and quality lagged.
Totally unfair. The Ballmer years at Microsoft, from a product standpoint, were horrible. Cook is doing an infinitely better job.

Hardware-wise, Apple's product quality is not lagging. Software quality has been getting spottier for years, but I also think we have a tendency to see the past through rose-colored glasses. Bugs have always existed and I'm not convinced that Apple's software is truly any buggier today than it was 10 or 20 years ago when you consider how much more complex everything is today. We're definitely far less buggy than during the Classic macOS days!

I also think it's quite unfair to say that innovation is lagging. Apple Silicone is a huge innovation. Whenever I see people complain about Apple not being innovative, I have to ask who is more innovative in tech today? What company is producing more innovative products? I also think a lot of people have a tendency to view Apple and Jobs as, frankly, more innovative than they were. It's not like every product under Jobs was a massive innovation.

Apple has essentially had three truly Earth-shifting innovative products, the Mac, the iTunes Store, and the iPhone. The Mac changed the desktop computing paradigm, the iPhone changed the mobile phone paradigm, and the iTunes Store revolutionized buying music (and paved the way for the digital media economy in general).

Everything else has been an improvement over what already existed in the market. Some of those things, like the LaserWriter, were HUGE improvements, while others, like the iPod, weren't quite as huge, but successfully addressed the biggest pain points in the product category. MP3 players existed before the iPod and the iPod didn't radically change the MP3 user experience in the way the iPhone changed the mobile phone experience. The iPod did, however, address the major shortcomings with MP3 players and that made it a huge hit.

Under Cook's tenure, we've seen the Watch, AirPods, HomePod, HomeKit, ARKit (and the upcoming headset), Apple Silicone, Apple Music and other services, as well as massive overall improvements to iCloud. I don't think Apple is any less innovative under Cook than it was under Jobs. Jobs was, however, a much better showman.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Look, I don't know this guy's financial situation and if this helps him, great. But it just seems crazy to me that people would spend this much on an object that will probably just sit on a shelf or something, it just seems like a waste of money.
$55k is quite literally nothing to many people.

And in inflationary times people are looking to put money ANYWHERE. Take a look at eye-watering fine art prices, for example. Far better to hold an asset than depreciating cash.

It’s not at all about wasting money; it’s about preserving it.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I was hoping the money would be given to a charity, but it looks like it isn't the case. That's a shame.
Hell No. You can waste your money all you want on so called "Charity Groups", I do give my money MYSELF to the people that need it most and believe me is not hard to find them.

jjrtiger

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder, CO
I have an iPhone 2007, just not the box. The box itself fetches for high prices on Ebay. I am just happy to have one. It’s even running the very first version of iPhoneOS. Booting up and seeing how far we’ve come is amazing. It does not seem to be recognized by my PowerBook G4 running Leopard, but I got it to sync on my old Dell Laptop running XP. I synced songs from 2007. That was such an uncertain year for me. I remember when I started at a vocational institute I walked to the nearby supermarket to pickup some essentials with my new roommate. We saw this young lady in the supermarket with one already jailbroken. I went up to her at check out and asked if that’s the iPhone. She said yeah, and I asked if I could look at it. She said sure! I couldn’t believe I was playing with one in ‘Jamaica’. Her significant other sent it to her, there was even a crack on the screen already. It would be years before I owned my first iOS device, 3rd gen iPod Touch with iOS 3. Still didn’t have wallpapers yet.

I don’t know what the future holds for the iPhone and maybe Apple has finally cracked the secret with the VR headset to slowly start chipping away at its success. But there is no denying it, the iPhone has changed the course of history.
Same. Although I will say my box has some of the smells like it did back when I openned it in 2007. Hmmm

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I also never understood that coin collectors value coins that were sealed immediately after production. A coin is such a physical item that feels great in the hand, but you can never touch those sealed coins.

Collecting art becomes more and more of a problem, because more and more art is collected by investors and than put into closed boxes, where it can't be by real people. The only intention for displaying it to the public once in a while is drawing the attention of rich collectors to it. Usually those huge art collections are in climate controlled buildings in custom free areas next to an airport. Even Iran owns an art collection that is worth billions and stored somewhere in an underground bunker. I do not think the artist, who usually is already dead, wanted his art become an asset for investors hidden in a bunker.

Even many expensive apartments in New York City are just investments an nobody will ever live there except the investor when he visits the city once a year. At least that development generates a lot of taxes for the city.

Isn't it somehow said that there is a poor iPhone that is sitting in a box forever without ever being used? And isn't it very absurd for the buyer that he buys something that he will never see unless he uses an x-ray machine?

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I know a woman who had bought the first iPad used years after it was released. It sounded like a good deal, but the problem was that almost all apps on the app store were not compatible any more with the first iPad. So she was pretty much limited to browsing in the internet with an already outdated browser.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Which ever telco's had the contracts for the first generation iphones will probably have a number of them still factory sealed in a storage container somewhere, forgotten about, collecting dust. I used to work for a consumer electronics manufacturer who made mobile phones, video recorders, satellite dishes and receivers, fax machines, printers, computer monitors and much much more and when a product became 'end of line' due to a new version coming out, due to the way contracts are drawn up between the manufacturer and the customer, the customer pays for x amount of the product to be made and when the product 'end of line' deadline approaches, the customer always makes sure they have a few extra made to cover any last minute rushes on consumers purchasing the product. Many times these 'rushes' do not occur so the customer is left with x amount of 'end of line' products which whilst maybe still sitting in the manufacturers warehouse, is returned to the customer because it is their stock that they paid for. The ONLY products that the manufacturer keeps is the faulty stuff that they have not had time to repair. There are times where a customer will tell the manufacturer to destroy what stock is remaining. I've personally seen it happen, the end of line of a product has passed, there are pallets of brand new stock in the warehouse waiting to be shipped to the customer and the customer has turned round and said they no longer need the 'old' product and to break them up. Yes, i've seen the warehouse guys smash up brand new working products fresh off a pallet and dump them smashed up in skips because the customer no longer wants the remaining stock because they cannot sell it because consumers want the new product so rather than have unused stock sitting in a storage facility costing the customer money in storage fees, they would rather have the unused stock smashed up and thrown away. I've seen it happen to mobile phones, video recorders and monitors.

Maybe the same thing happens with Apple's manufacturers, they are told to smash up excess stock rather than the customer having to pay for storage.

Barabas

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2006
So slightly more than double then if this person would have spent $599 on Apple stock.

$599 on AAPL in July 1st 2007 is worth $25,833.33 today.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Did you read the thread? There are multiple posts from people who were there at the time telling you otherwise. Just because you wish something to be true does not make it so.
Oh I’m sorry. You mean all these posts below?

Just because you want me to be wrong, doesn’t mean I am 😘

I disagree with the $150 discount subsidization: I believe it was much higher.

I don’t think $150 was accurate. I am using this data from how the iPhone 4 was treated on Sprint: $200 subsidized on a two year plan, or $650 unlocked.

We thought it was a good deal!

Its amazing that it was sold at the unsubsidized price and required one of these with a two year contract:

(Anytime minutes/Night and weekend)

– $59.99 (450/5000) or
– $79.99 for (900/Unlimited) or
– $99.99 for (1350/Unlimited)

All plans include:
- unlimited 2.5G EDGE data
- Rollover minutes to the next month
- Unlimited AT&T to AT&T mobile calling
- 200 SMS
- Visual Voicemail

Need more SMS?
- Unlimited SMS - $20
- 1500 - $15
- $.20 pay per use

There was no MMS/picture messaging/iMessage.

There was no way to purchase Music wirelessly, no app store, etc….

Nope. No subsidies were offered for the original iPhone. Full retail price only.

Not all phones were "free with 2 year contract" back then in the U.S. AT&T would typically discount a phone $150 with a contract but that didn't necessarily make it free. For example, a BlackBerry Curve at the time may have had a price of $449 without a contract but $299 with a 2 year AT&T contract.

Since the iPhone required a 2 year contract, one could assume that AT&T $150 discount was already baked into the price i.e., actual price of 8GB iPhone was $749 but sold for $599 with 2 year contract (before the $200 price reduction less than three months later).

Since AT&T was typically discounting other phones $150 with 2 year contract, wouldn't similar have been true with the iPhone since it required a 2 year contract i.e., actual price of 8GB iPhone was $749 but sold for $599 with 2 year contract (before the $200 price reduction less than three months later).

Why wouldn't AT&T have given customers contract discounts on the original iPhone just as they had been on other phones at the time?

AT&T's $150 phone discounts for customers signing up for a 2 year contract were pretty standard and in that sense would've been factored into the iPhone pricing one way or another.

As it turned out, Apple/AT&T ended up reducing the price of the phones by $200 less than three months after launch with the 8GB iPhone going from $599 to $399. Customer backlash caused Apple to give early adopters a $100 Apple Store gift card.

The following year, prices were dropped even more with the 8GB iPhone 3G selling for just $199 (again with a 2 year contract). In a period of about one year, the price of an 8GB iPhone dropped 2/3rds from $599 to $199.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I hope the buyer gets the box x-rayed/scanned to see if the contents inside the box is what should be in the box because it is far too easy these days to reseal boxes in the wrapping manner they was done way back when.

The pokemon fraud is what would prevent me from buying something being advertised as 'factory sealed' hence the tags of 'rare' and 'on of a kind'

If Logan Paul had never opened the box and done what most collectors do which is leave the item sealed and stored away for the next generations, his future generations would have had a box that was actually worthless. Therefore it certainly makes me wonder about these original first gen iphones that have been starting to appear on the auction circuit.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
That shrink wrap looks like a re-wrap job with a heat gun, like you’d find on a Best Buy open box item. The seam in the middle is a dead giveaway. Apple’s shrink wrap is much more precise.

Reactions: ZircoBen

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Thanks for the reminder to top up the battery on mine.

This one is definitely not mint, though. It's running iPhoneOS and Android with Open iBoot, so it's definitely in "tinkered with" condition. 😁

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I disagree with the $150 discount subsidization: I believe it was much higher.

I don’t think $150 was accurate. I am using this data from how the iPhone 4 was treated on Sprint: $200 subsidized on a two year plan, or $650 unlocked.

My $150 figure came from what AT&T was typically giving as 2 year contract discounts in 2007 when the original iPhone launched. Although AT&T didn't show contract discounts for the iPhone, it had been marketing other smartphones like BlackBerry, Palm, etc. with a "regular" retail price and then a 2 year contract price which was usually $150 less.

The contract/no-contract price differences did widen in later years especially after Verizon and then Sprint became eligible to sell iPhones.

Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
My $150 figure came from what AT&T was typically giving as 2 year contract discounts in 2007 when the original iPhone launched. Although AT&T didn't show contract discounts for the iPhone, it had been marketing other smartphones like BlackBerry, Palm, etc. with a "regular" retail price and then a 2 year contract price which was usually $150 less.

The contract/no-contract price differences did widen in later years especially after Verizon and then Sprint became eligible to sell iPhones.
Completely plausible, although hard to believe :p

One if the posts I linked was a breakdown of what ATT was charging for plans. $80 was one number that stood out, and I remember thinking blackberry and iPhone owners were so rich because of what the monthly plans cost (in 2007 mind you!)

$150 subsidize perk just sounds too low… but I could be wrong of course and it really was only 150 bucks to be locked into a 2 year plan. Sounds like a bad deal, which is why I suspect that the subsidization was higher and hidden in the cost of the plan.

On a related note (and progressed further) I knew that splitting the cost of the phones and the cost of the plan up like a decade ago would lead to higher prices for cell plans: no subsidization anymore but full price AND $80 plans for single people…. But you can get three year “credits” on your bill worth ~$800-$1000 if you trade in a smartphone, which pretty much makes it a three year lock in 🤷‍♂️ it all circles back around, ha.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
On a related note (and progressed further) I knew that splitting the cost of the phones and the cost of the plan up like a decade ago would lead to higher prices for cell plans: no subsidization anymore but full price AND $80 plans for single people…. But you can get three year “credits” on your bill worth ~$800-$1000 if you trade in a smartphone, which pretty much makes it a three year lock in 🤷‍♂️ it all circles back around, ha.

The cheapest AT&T plan for an iPhone in 2007 was $59.99/month which included unlimited data but was limited on talk (450 weekdays, 5,000 nights and weekends) and text (200). Adjusting for inflation, $59.99 is over $86 in today's dollars. Plans at the time could get ridiculously expensive if you added more texts and weekday minutes. You can get unlimited plans for much less than even $86+ today.

Carriers largely got rid of "contracts" years ago and replaced them with inflated trade-in programs which, as you suggested, are pretty much like contracts as you need to stick with a plan for the full term (usually 2 to 3 years) in order to get the full credit. They also usually require one of the carrier's higher priced plans which may have features you don't need.

Reactions: JM

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Great for repair and durability. User experience not so much, especially the mute switch. If the haptic feedback is implemented well, which they absolutely are capable of seeing the force trackpad and Touch ID implementation , 75% probably do not even care. Hope they implement some sort of LED on the mute switch for visual conformation. Like the old school MBP battery indicator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.